• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Character Arcs & Keeping Them Different

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccajw2

Worshiper of the Krispy Kreme
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, AW! I might be in a sticky situation, and not the kind where I'm surrounded by Easter candy, because I already ate all of that.

I have two main characters, one primary and one secondary. The secondary has a clear "cowardly to brave, submissive to strong" arc, one that I like and one that I've received positive feedback on. The primary has a non-existent arc. Oops.

So I've been brain-storming an arc for her. Some background on her in the current draft: she's been given a ton of responsibility very quickly, but throughout the book, she tries her best and doesn't sulk. In this regard, she's steadfast and doesn't really have an arc. She doesn't whine or give up, and I don't want her to. I don't enjoy writing or reading whiners.

Eventually, I came up with a potential arc for her- going from self-doubt to confidence. Maybe she makes those decisions, but beats herself up for mistakes she's made, and as problems build, she gets wrapped up in, "can I really do this?" By the end, her answer should be "yes, I can do this."

My questions are:

Does this arc make sense? Can someone have self-doubt yet still push forward and not come across as whiny?

And:

Is it too similar to the secondary character's "cowardly to brave" arc?

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure your 'secondary' character isn't your main character? From your brief description it sounds like they're currently a more dynamic character, and if that's the case, chances are that's where your reader's interest will ultimately go.

As to your questions -

Absolutely someone can have self doubt and push forward without being whiny. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hero that fits this description. Too similar to the secondary arc? Hard to say without reading it, but I'd say if you've done your work and imbued the characters with depth and their own unique set of issues and life experiences, probably not.

Peace
:)

beccajw2

Registered
Reaction score
Haha that's why I'm looking to strengthen my main character. Right now, the secondary character completely overshadows her, and I don't want that to be the case, because so much of the world and the plot revolve around her.

This is going to sound stupid, but can you think of any books or anything that have that arc? I know there are a million of them, but I'm drawing a blank on pinpointing it in anything I've read recently. (This happens to me all the time in Scattergories, if anyone's played that...)

It's good to hear that if I don't mess up, the arcs won't be too similar :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried writing without worrying about characters arcs? Characters arcs, especially planned ones, always come across as artificial and distracting, to me.

I just tell a story, and if the story changes characters, fine. If it doesn't, that's fine, too. It never made sense to me to have a great character that readers love, and then to change that character.

If the book sells well, and becomes a series, will there be a new character arc in each book?

I think character arcs can be fine in coming of age stories, and in redemption stories, but even here, they should be the natural reaction to story.

Other than these particular types of stories, characters arcs just make everything predictable, at best. As a reader, or a movie buff, how many times have you known exactly what was going to happen to the character, and how he would change, simply because so many writers think having a character arc is necessary.

beccajw2

Registered
Reaction score
hmm good point. I didn't focus on character arc in the first or second draft, and I think (or at least, I'd like to think) that the secondary's arc just made sense with what he was doing, so it came more naturally.

maybe I try strengthening the primary character in other ways and see how that reads without trying to shove an arc in there. I know she needs strengthening, but perhaps I'm coming at it the wrong way... thanks for the perspective!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with JAR on this: if the story isn't about the arc, don't worry about it. I seldom read a book to see how a character grows. I want actual, yanno, story, plot, activity. I get that growth is a standard trope in some genres, ie fantasy's young person grows into destiny, leadership, etc., but, really, I don't care all that much. I'd just as soon read a series in which the MC never develops or changes, but interesting things happen.

So, in your case, one out of two main characters having an arc is fine. Much more and it starts to feel like example for a motivational seminar. If it's organic, let it happen, if not, don't stress. Especially, don't tie a character you like in knots, just because you think you should.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Does this arc make sense? Can someone have self-doubt yet still push forward and not come across as whiny?

And:

Is it too similar to the secondary character's "cowardly to brave" arc?

Yes to the first question, and possibly, but not necessarily, to the second. Depends on how it's handled. It's not enough for her to just keep pushing on in the face of self-doubt. At some point her lack of confidence needs to trip her up. She needs to fail, big time, before she regroups and wins. And to do that, she needs to face and defeat whatever is at the core of her self-doubt.

I rather like the idea that the one character is overtly a coward, and the other only a coward in her head. And while the one is learning about bravery, the other is learning the price of self-doubt. Maybe at some point they can help each other.

Last edited:

beccajw2

Registered
Reaction score
So, in your case, one out of two main characters having an arc is fine. Much more and it starts to feel like example for a motivational seminar.

Haha that's good to hear. I'd love it if I could make this work without shoving in another arc.

I rather like the idea that the one character is overtly a coward, and the other only a coward in her head. And while the one is learning about bravery, the other is learning the price of self-doubt. Maybe at some point they can help each other.

They actually do meet up partway through and end up on the same team, so to speak, and their meeting does affect their growth/actions. I'll have to make sure that's something I don't lose in the next draft.

thank you everyone for your responses! they have been crazy insightful. I owe you all chocolate cream-filled eggs. <3

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha that's good to hear. I'd love it if I could make this work without shoving in another arc.

That said, it sounds like your MC needs work, if the secondary character is overshadowing her.

What can you do to make this MC more riveting? Does she need a stronger voice? Should she be funnier? Or perhaps so serious/intense she creates chemistry with the people around her? Could she be of a different culture than you originally planned (example: changing a dull white-bread American lady into a Mexican lady who fights crime at night and wraps tamales by day)?

Also, if she is interesting, are you sufficiently utilizing interior monologue and dialogue to show the reader who she is?

beccajw2

Registered
Reaction score
Also, if she is interesting, are you sufficiently utilizing interior monologue and dialogue to show the reader who she is?

You got me- that's exactly my problem, and it's been echoed by several readers. I'm doing a pass now to try and fix that, and so far, I think it's helping. We'll see what happens when I read it back. Man, how are you psychic?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
For me, a huge factor in a character's arc is to consider what they want at the beginning of the story, what they do as a consequence of that, and how the things that stem from their actions (and associated events) might change their priorities. Also, what does your character actually need, and is it compatible with what they want?

Or does conflict arise from the difference in what they want and what they need, or because of two or more competing wants, or because the consequences of getting what they want are morally unacceptable or create problems for other people they care about?

The most interesting character arcs involve change, in my opinion. A story where character wants A, they do B, and they get A, much happiness, the end? Maybe that's a good book for really young kids, but most classic tales involve the character's priorities changing as the story progresses, or perhaps unforeseen consequences from getting what they want.

Maybe a good thought exercise is to think about some classic stories and identify the character's wants and needs, and how those evolve (or not) as the story unfolds, and what happens to them (and others in the story) as a consequence.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing against a good character arc, but I have never written a story with one. Except for going from living to dead, my characters don't really change.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have nothing against a good character arc, but I have never written a story with one. Except for going from living to dead, my characters don't really change.

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong then, or maybe we have different definitions of what is meant by change.

I can't think of many novels where the protagonist doesn't change in some way. An exception might be some grimdark titles, but there the whole point was to deconstruct the normal character arc one sees and expects in heroic fantasy. The characters seem to be going through change, but at the end, they're back to being the same screwed up people they'd been at the beginning. Not terribly satisfying, except as a sort of dark parody of what one usually expects to see.

There is a kind of story where the character comes full circle and is back where they started at the end, but they've learned something. And there are those "a stranger came to town" kinds of stories, where a hero, reluctant or otherwise, (and usually it's a he) rides in, fixes things (or exacts revenge), then leaves at the end. Like with the Road Warrior, or High Plains Drifter or some other westerns. But often that wandering hero character is a catalyst for change in other characters.

Last edited:

beccajw2

Registered
Reaction score
And then other characters do stuff, and they have to make a choice- good stuff? or bad stuff?

I think I'm getting the hang of this writing...stuff.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
1.) Maybe your MC could be a Watson type figure, simply a voice to tell the story through.

2.) If not, look to your plot. From plot comes character, from character comes a character arc. What does your MC do?

3.) Start your query, and elevator pitch. They tend to distill your novel to its essence. You may learn something about your novel. Like who is the MC.

4.) Do you have your ending finalized? Endings should symbolize the changes a character have gone through.

5.) Last but not least, not every character needs an arc. Many characters in mainstream series don't have strong arcs, because if they changed too much, you might lose the series your readers love (did Sherlock have a character arc?) If you have a strong plot and a small arc, no problem. But if you have a small arc because of a weak plot, big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.