Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I wish!

It's the sexy 2015 way to say "Financial Analyst" because "Data Ninja" isn't a valid job title.

But I like the 'data ninja' title thing so much better. :D They should make that a valid one. It makes more sense.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
But I like the 'data ninja' title thing so much better. :D They should make that a valid one. It makes more sense.

Why not? I used to have "unix monkey" business cards. Now mine say "writer" -- not sure which makes me sound more ridiculous. :)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Carve me a pomelo hat and call it a lime. I'm back, baby!

Plus, the Data Governance guy who wanted to shut us down turned out to be all bark and no bite. Our European launch went through with only a minor intranet glitch, and is a big hit.

Such a big hit, they asked me to head up the project to roll-out the tool to the global organization.

No pressure. Just our entire North America and Latin American operation hinging on me delivering numbers.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Huzzah for cat coming back and a big ol' middle finger to the DG dude. It sounds like you've got a great opportunity ahead of it, if daunting. Good luck! I know you can do it. :D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Such a big hit, they asked me to head up the project to roll-out the tool to the global organization.

No pressure. Just our entire North America and Latin American operation hinging on me delivering numbers.

Very cool - and you can totally do it! You're BatCat after all, now in watermelon disguise. :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this? "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales", it's slated for release in 2017 (eventhough the poster says 2016).

Can't they just let it go yet? I mean, it's going to be 7 years between movies by the time this thing comes out. And the last one wasn't that good. :(

a%20pirate_zpsnpoozmwr.png

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They'll keep making these movies (from ANY franchise, not just PotC) as long as the last one did well at the box office. Doesn't matter that the last movie sucked Gibraltar through a bar straw, it made money! That's all the big corps really care about is that bottom line.

Oh, and merchandizing. You know how much is made off toys and apparel of this kind of movie? Probably more than the movie itself makes.

Yeah, we're talking BIG money.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Agree with Del. That's also why we keep getting reboot after reboot of successful franchises as opposed to new stuff.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Well hopefully that's true, there are some summer blockbusters I am really looking forward to with positive influence and I'd like to think more will be made :)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I keep hoping that's why they won't continue with the 50SoG franchise. The first one made billions on pre-sales, had a huge opening, and then totally and completely crashed. Once reviews and word-of-mouth spread, people stopped going in to see it. And with the news that neither the director nor the screenwriter want to return... yeah, I'm hoping that will be that.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're likely to want to do at least one more, because the opening weekend sales were THAT good. When the second tanks on opening weekend, then they might realize their mistake. Maybe.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard it was a strategic move. Apparently there were a bunch of issues with the second movie, namely the fact that James herself wants to write the screenplay, and the fact that they need to find a replacement director, and the studio has been somewhat dragging its feet regarding this second movie. There was talk that the lead actor's supposed dropping was nothing but strategy to get the studio to move on with the decisions-making.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
You know it, I know it, everyone else knows it except James herself. Of course, given the origins of the books (and I'm not referring to just the fact it started as fanfic), it's not surprising she doesn't know it.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, she's not the first author with delusions of grandeur on that front.

Plenty of other authors have attempted it, too.

Most fail.

Hey, we can't all be Gaiman.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
..., namely the fact that James herself wants to write the screenplay...

I'm hoping JK Rowling can pull it off with the movie for 'fantastical beasts' that is to come. ;)

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I've also heard it was a strategic move. Apparently there were a bunch of issues with the second movie, namely the fact that James herself wants to write the screenplay, and the fact that they need to find a replacement director, and the studio has been somewhat dragging its feet regarding this second movie. There was talk that the lead actor's supposed dropping was nothing but strategy to get the studio to move on with the decisions-making.

This is a bad, bad idea for most authors. Even the really good ones.

Writing a screenplay is NOT like writing a book.

You know it, I know it, everyone else knows it except James herself. Of course, given the origins of the books (and I'm not referring to just the fact it started as fanfic), it's not surprising she doesn't know it.

Well, in all fairness, she's not the first author with delusions of grandeur on that front.

Plenty of other authors have attempted it, too.

Most fail.

Hey, we can't all be Gaiman.

Looks like it's not going to be EL James herself, but I don't know if this is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.