Withdrawing and Resubmitting

liston66

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if I withdraw my MS from a publisher before I hear back from them, is it okay to resubmit the same MS to that publisher at a later date? Or do they frown on that?

object of my charm

Registered
Reaction score
God, I want to do the same thing too. The version of my MS that the publisher has is "so last month." My novel changes by the week. I'v head tons of insights about the protagonist and have switched from third person to first. Can't I just write the publisher and request, if they haven't looked at it already, that I resend the updated version? As much as I want to, I think I know the answer: it's unprofessional.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the idea is that you should be done revising it when you send it to agents. Or at least, done until you get their feedback. They want a finished MS. Maybe take it as a learning experience for future querying and not send it out until you're really done with it next time around?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I wrote to a publisher to withdraw my manuscript from consideration after I did an on-line self-editing course for writers. I was appalled at all the mistakes I'd made and horrified they'd read the manuscript I'd thought was polished and 'ready'. An acquiring editor already had it in the pile of promising mansucripts that she'd been sent by their slushpile reader. She skimmed the my book when I wrote in to withdraw--got sucked in and read the whole thing. Result: I received an offer! So, if your voice and story are good, I wouldn't worry too much about the mechanics.

Note: I don't recommend withdrawing a manuscript to see if you'll get an offer! Just saying what happened to me, and that voice and story can trump grammar and mechanics.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Agents will sometimes take a look at an updated MS. Publishers not as much. In general, once something is submitted that's it. You can always withdraw it, but they won't look at it a second time if you submit it again later.

object of my charm

Registered
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck withdrawing a manuscript and replacing it with newer version w agents (after all, they haven't read it in four months). Have only tried this once w a publisher - a few weeks ago - no response as of yet.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do this unless you sent the wrong version at the time, and noticed pretty quickly afterwards. I.e. you accidentally attached a draft file. People do understand technology blunders.