• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
So how do you guys write titles? Do they just come to you?

I'm terrible at titles (see title of the post for an example).

I'm accustomed to titles that pretty much state then restate the paper's primary focus. The standard format is pretty much function, colon, then you have some other detail about the paper's function. So... Assessing Juvenile Curfews: An Examination of the Current Constitutional Issues.

If I applied the same format to my werewolf book, it might look something like this: Werewolf Book: A Book About Werewolves.

Probably not so gripping.

It should be noted that the above titles are me making fun of academic titles and are not real titles. :p

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You seem to be referring to non-fiction where the title can be more clinical because it states what the book is about.

Re fiction, sometimes a title springs to mind and fits. Sometimes it may occur as one writes. Sometimes a phrase from the story leaps out. Sometimes the title arrives first. Sometimes it doesn't spring to mind and has to evolve...

Everybody's different, and even though it exists the title may well be changed by the Publisher for marketing reasons.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Assessing Juvenile Curfews: An Examination of the Current Constitutional Issues.

Werewolf Book: A Book About Werewolves.

One way I can see to make these two titles snappier is just to shorten them:

Juvenile Curfews and the Constitution

Werewolves

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
I learned a valuable lesson about posting with very little sleep.

I'm accustomed to titles that pretty much state then restate the paper's primary focus. The standard format is pretty much function, colon, then you have some other detail about the paper's function. So... Assessing Juvenile Curfews: An Examination of the Current Constitutional Issues.

If I applied the same format to my werewolf book, it might look something like this: Werewolf Book: A Book About Werewolves.

All of this is me making fun of the way academics (myself included) write titles. They are not actually serious titles.

I come from a land where titles are not creative. I am now trying to think of a creative, catchy title. I was looking for some general advice on how other writers do this.

Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh okay, lol. Well, that is what I do, though. Start with whatever I can come up with, then keep playing around with it until it improves. Don't know what else to say without having an actual book or title idea to start with...

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Oh okay, lol. Well, that is what I do, though. Start with whatever I can come up with, then keep playing around with it until it improves. Don't know what else to say without having an actual book or title idea to start with...

Right now I’m not looking for advice specific to my book’s title (because my book’s current title is 4_17_2015, which is the date I last updated it); I’m looking for general feedback on how others decide on/create titles for their own work.

Maybe I’m the only one who has issues with this. *hangs head in shame*

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I don't really struggle with it. It just pops into my mind. But I think 4/17/2015 is kinda catchy. :tongue

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no shame in struggling over titles.

As far as 'general feedback...' goes it's the same as resolving issues about writing whatever we're writing - everybody's different. Keep mulling it over and a solution usually emerges.

Last edited:

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
Titles can come to us in weirdest of ways, and usually when one stops stressing over them.

My novel, for example, got its title after I misheard lyrics of a song playing on the radio. A name for my character (different novel, though, and different song) came in the same way. The name of my novel's maybe possible sequel comes from a turn on a phrase from the Bible (it has nothing to do with the actual Bible, though, and I don't even own a copy myself, but the phrase fits). Accidentally stumbling across something that sparks your interest and sticks in your mind is often how the right titles are born.

Sometimes, though, you don't have the luxury of being lousy at understanding lyrics or remembering phrases from religious books you've read ages ago - then look into your own book, look for running themes, phrases, ideas, words, even characters. Try to imagine each as the title. Try to combine them. If it doesn't feel quite right, if you end up needing a reminder of how you just called your book, it's probably not the thing you're looking for.

Other times, titles will evolve from working titles. You call your novel "my werewolf novel" when you talk about it. Maybe your main title doesn't have to necessarily have "werewolf" in it, but then that functions as addition: "Moonridden: a Werewolf Novel" (the first word is courtesy of a character of mine in chapter ~10 of what I'm currently writing, but also felt fitting here).

Most importantly, make sure your title fits with what you're writing. Even one-word titles carry a certain atmosphere and rhythm to it, and you want it to match your novel's. You want to know WHY your title works for it, no matter which way you choose it.

In my WIP, the title is long and put together in an almost archaic manner, but I can afford that, because my novel deals with the past and forging old manuscripts and whatnot, and it simply fits.
Another one has the shortest and not nearly as explanatory title ("Here") - it tells of changes and clinging to what's left, both in physical and non-physical sense, and is a form of a dark fairytale set partly in a nameless world - which works for it because it raises questions and, due to its shortness, functions as a sort of spark. It throws people into the novel like a portal to another world (which happens in the novel itself), while the WIP's slowly invites them in and makes them feel like that's exactly where they belong (which again, is one of the things happening in that novel itself). I might accept changing certain words in those titles, or adding subtitles and such, but this is how I will back my choices shall it come to it.
So, if your novel is written in a somewhat analytical way, or if your narrator is keeping a diary or something, even the date title might work. It doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to the novel's main topic at all (don't forget that covers are also a tool, and can show what the title can't in a most wonderfully helpful way), but there has to be something about it that fits the style the novel's written in.

And of course, relating to my last point, always consider the rhythm. Just like you want your sentences to flow the right way, you want your title to flow the right way, and speak to the potential readers.

This turned out longer than expected. Forgive all the me-talk, but it was the easiest way to explain my points.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes a title comes to me at the beginning. If not, after I've finished editing, I write down a long list of words/phrases relating to the book. Then I cobble together a bunch of titles from those and pick the one I like most. I can usually find something I'm fairly happy with...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sometimes it's super easy and obvious, the title is exactly what the book is about. Sometimes it's harder. Coming up with OUTCAST took lists and lists of words and phrases.

First you need to think about the tone/genre/market of your work. When you've determined that, look up titles from similar books, what are some of the trends in such titles? A thriller title is different from a YA gothic title is different from a comic title is different from a romance title.

Then try to write a single sentence what your book is about, is there anything in that sentence that feels appropriate? Are there any words ye olde thesaurus can suggest cool synonyms for.

Sometimes I also look for quotes, usually Shakespearean, sometimes Wilde, where I can extract something from.

I ask friends to offer suggestions. Even if they don't feel appropriate it can spark something.

Just keep writing lists and more lists.

Btw I would read the crap out of a book called WEREWOLVES: A BOOK ABOUT WEREWOLVES

Shunter

Registered
Reaction score
I like to listen to music when I write. Then when it's time to go back and title my book, I look at the song lyrics of whatever I was listening to while writing, that usually gets me somewhere. Basically I start listing titles until I find something that pops. So for my most recent titling problem I spent an hour making a list. Here an excerpt:

"Just Children."
"What We Deserve"
"Trust In You"
"The Only Person"
"Real Men"
"All Along"
"Let Mercy Come"
"The Mercy of Men" <---- Aha!

Probably if you google this list you can figure out what I listen to, haha.

On the other hand I have a short story I spent ages on and ended up going with the easy route: using the character's name. Now I've got a story named "Shin," but that's a whole 'nother problem.

Honestly, I think the idea of having a book with a sort-of nonfictiony title is quite nice. "Werewolves: Hairy Snout, Human Heart." Especially for a humor book that could be very punchy.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Werewolf Book: A Book About Werewolves.

Probably not so gripping.

Au contraire. I love it! :D

In all seriousness, titles are one of the those angst-making things that, in the end, are probably not worth so much angst. I understand why they cause stress. Psychologically, with WIPs that have a title I'm happy about, the thing feels more...complete book-y(o_O), and the ones without feel more like incomplete works, even though they may be in the exact same state of progress. I have a lot of things called [Fill-in-the-Blank] Story on my hard drive: Italian Story, Unknown Title Story...oy!

But so many titles change more than once over the course of a manuscript's life, from idea to print, it's sort of...fruitless worry? (Easy for me to say, I suppose, since titles sort of pop into my head. I've never tried to come up with one, so I'm probably in MB's camp of "they'll come when you're not trying to think of them.")

If you're self-publishing, it's obviously more important to have a title that helps sell your book, but if you're going the agent/trad pub route, you're shiny perfect title might well change anyway. Not that you should call it MS_COMPLETE, but I'd try not to sweat the inability to find Teh Perfect Title if you can help it.

constanceg

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm seconding the advice not to sweat too hard over the title at this stage. For a full year my WIP was called "together they fight crime" because that was what I scribbled in the margins of the writing exercise that became my novel.

Once you're ready to sit down and start brainstorming, it could be helpful to comb through the first couple of chapters and find phrases in your manuscript that strike you as particularly a propos, and then play around with them to see if they develop into a good title.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Once you're ready to sit down and start brainstorming, it could be helpful to comb through the first couple of chapters and find phrases in your manuscript that strike you as particularly a propos, and then play around with them to see if they develop into a good title.
This is what I do. Rules and Regulations for the Practising Fairy Godmother is the name of the rulebook my wannabe-curse fairy/reluctant fairy godmother pulls out to sarcastically reference in the first chapter (it's a relevant recurring object/theme). I referred to the WIP by that title in my head actually as a sort of joke as I was writing it, and then it just... stuck. My other title is from a concept introduced in the first chapter as well.

maryland

Registered
Reaction score
As Bufty suggested, reading through your own book will often throw up a suitable title. Going through the Bible or Collected Works of Shakespeare (!) it is fun to see how many titles have been lifted from them. Then, there's poems- For Whom the Bell Tolls from John Donne to Ernest Hemingway, East of Eden from Bible to film, The Blue Remembered Hills from AE Houseman to TV.
It's best, though, to avoid beginning with 'the' or 'a' because it is so dull.
But most important is to have a title that is easy to spell and easy to pronounce via phone, if people are ringing up about your book -or discussing it. Trying to be too different here could cause mistakes and getting lost in office files, warehouses and eventually on bookshop shelves. We should guard against embarrassing our future customers!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the inspiration source usually gives me the title. Sometimes I don't realize it until later when it hits me in a "duh" moment, but if I go back to the original inspiration, I'll usually find the title.

ash.y

Absurd and Obscure
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bearandblackdog.com
I hand my book to someone else and they think up awesome titles!

My titles fall along the lines of Werewolves: A Book About Werewolves.

Titles are possibly the most agonizing part of writing a book, haha!

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, agonizing is right, lol. But they're marketing, and if you're traditionally publishing, they're your first impression with an agent, so they're not insignificant, even if there's a good chance your title will change. I usually brainstorm words related to the story.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I let other people come up with them. A friend named my story "Mayhem" and my daughter "Girls on the Rise"

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with titles, too. I think it is harder than it should be, but every story needs a title. Since I write short stories and a lot of them, I am always faced with coming up with new titles. And the titles I originally give a works often changes. But I do find the whole process of coming up with the right title very hard.

I had an instructor really like one of my stories. The title was Happy Birthday because it was about a birthday party. To me, this made sense and I thought it fit. Then my instructor said the story needed a better title. He said editors have seen dozens of stories with that title. I wasn't going to stand out in a slush pile with a title like that. And it was a boring title. But, for the longest time, I really couldn't think of better title. It was probably a year and many rejections later when I reread the story. That's when a better title came to me.

I had another professor tell me he didn't get my title on another one of my stories. He said it didn't make sense for the sort of story I had written. It needed a better title. And that story had already been through three or four title changes. That piece still doesn't have a good title.

Now, I need a title for my thesis (short story collection) The easy thing is to title it one of the story titles, but I'm not sure I want to do that or which short story title would work best as a title for the whole collection. My thesis proposal is due pretty soon, and I am going to have to put something down. This is very hard so I definitely know where anyone who has trouble picking a title is coming from.

Sometimes I think of something I think would be a good title for a short story before I write it. Those are usually better sounding titles to me. However, every time I have tried to write a story after coming up with the title, the title never seems to fit in the end. I have to write at least some of the story before I can think of anything that might fit.

My advice would be to allow yourself to change your title as needed and as often as you feel it's needed. Also, don't overthink it. But, yes, coming up with titles is very hard for some people.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
When all else fails, you can always use the protag's name as a working title.

I'm not particularly good on titles, so take that with a grain of salt, but it's better than a date, and something may come to you, especially if you take some of the excellent suggestions already posted.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! You gave me a lot of helpful advice that I'd never really considered. I'm just sort of struggling because it seems like every title I come up with is trite, silly, generic.

I asked for "me talk," so I can't very well be upset when I get it. Your feedback was very helpful and detailed. Thank you for sharing your process with me.

Titles can come to us in weirdest of ways, and usually when one stops stressing over them.

My novel, for example, got its title after I misheard lyrics of a song playing on the radio. A name for my character (different novel, though, and different song) came in the same way. The name of my novel's maybe possible sequel comes from a turn on a phrase from the Bible (it has nothing to do with the actual Bible, though, and I don't even own a copy myself, but the phrase fits). Accidentally stumbling across something that sparks your interest and sticks in your mind is often how the right titles are born.

Sometimes, though, you don't have the luxury of being lousy at understanding lyrics or remembering phrases from religious books you've read ages ago - then look into your own book, look for running themes, phrases, ideas, words, even characters. Try to imagine each as the title. Try to combine them. If it doesn't feel quite right, if you end up needing a reminder of how you just called your book, it's probably not the thing you're looking for.

Other times, titles will evolve from working titles. You call your novel "my werewolf novel" when you talk about it. Maybe your main title doesn't have to necessarily have "werewolf" in it, but then that functions as addition: "Moonridden: a Werewolf Novel" (the first word is courtesy of a character of mine in chapter ~10 of what I'm currently writing, but also felt fitting here).

Most importantly, make sure your title fits with what you're writing. Even one-word titles carry a certain atmosphere and rhythm to it, and you want it to match your novel's. You want to know WHY your title works for it, no matter which way you choose it.

In my WIP, the title is long and put together in an almost archaic manner, but I can afford that, because my novel deals with the past and forging old manuscripts and whatnot, and it simply fits.
Another one has the shortest and not nearly as explanatory title ("Here") - it tells of changes and clinging to what's left, both in physical and non-physical sense, and is a form of a dark fairytale set partly in a nameless world - which works for it because it raises questions and, due to its shortness, functions as a sort of spark. It throws people into the novel like a portal to another world (which happens in the novel itself), while the WIP's slowly invites them in and makes them feel like that's exactly where they belong (which again, is one of the things happening in that novel itself). I might accept changing certain words in those titles, or adding subtitles and such, but this is how I will back my choices shall it come to it.
So, if your novel is written in a somewhat analytical way, or if your narrator is keeping a diary or something, even the date title might work. It doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to the novel's main topic at all (don't forget that covers are also a tool, and can show what the title can't in a most wonderfully helpful way), but there has to be something about it that fits the style the novel's written in.

And of course, relating to my last point, always consider the rhythm. Just like you want your sentences to flow the right way, you want your title to flow the right way, and speak to the potential readers.

This turned out longer than expected. Forgive all the me-talk, but it was the easiest way to explain my points.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, guys! For a bit I thought I was going to be the only one who struggled with titles. I'm right there with you, gettingby; my profs were always getting after me for my paper titles (especially when I cheekily--or desperately--called things "Paper" or "Essay").

Ugh, agonizing is right, lol. But they're marketing, and if you're traditionally publishing, they're your first impression with an agent, so they're not insignificant, even if there's a good chance your title will change. I usually brainstorm words related to the story.

Yeah, that is the pain of it. I'd like to think that the content of the story matters more than the title of it, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that the title needs to be at least somewhat catchy. I don't want agents/publishers to roll their eyes when they read it.

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
Titles have actually come pretty easy for me. Sometimes I have a title before I even have characters or a solid plot. Other times I think of a title, but realize it doesn't quite work so I pull up an online Thesaurus and play around with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.