Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lady V. This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between a pigeon and a dove? :Shrug: I always thought of them as the same thing.
Not entirely sure. Typically doves are smaller than pigeons, but that's not always the case. According to wikipedia, the names are used interchangeably.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in central AZ the pigeons (also known to me as flying rats) are considerably bigger than the doves. They come in assorted colors. Our doves are gray and have white edges on their wings.

MM

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lady V. This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between a pigeon and a dove? :Shrug: I always thought of them as the same thing.

A pigeon is a kind of dove, and is also called a rock dove.

I've seen them nest in the woods; they're not just city birds, they're only really well adapted there.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the size of Asian ring-necked doves, which some call turtledoves. They are sometimes larger than rock doves/pigeons. Mourning doves are the ones we usually think of as doves, IMO -- they're pretty small. They're also not very bright and will try to nest in the most precarious places.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see many hummingbirds last year, most likely because I was late hanging up the feeders. This year I wanted to get a head start, so I did it in March. There was probably an overnight freeze, but this "water" is about 1/4 dissolved sugar, so no doubt it freezes at a temp well below pure water.

About a week ago I cleaned the kitchen windows (a challenge because they were PAINTED shut by a previous resident) so I could get a nice, clean view of the back yard when "they" come back.

Today I happened to glance out, and what I saw made me immediately pull out my smartphone and take a pic. <smarty-pants clickbait sentence>

You can see the big red feeder, and maybe the two smaller red feeders in this pic. There's something at the big feeder!

It's a hummingbird!!!1!

Okay, this is a blowup pic using an older smartphone's built-in camera, so it's quite a bit grainy.

I took six pics before it flew away, here's one of it actually feeding:

I still want to get a Real Camera, but there's too much other stuff I need to do with my time and money, but at least I can afford to keep these birds in sugar water.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. We have a hummingbird feeder I've been meaning to put up. We don't get a lot around here, but they do occur.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Can't get enough pics of hummingbirds. They are so cool.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
It's spring, Jim, but not as we know it - today's view from the desk here in Newfoundland. Sea ice breaking up offshore and coming in to the bay. And if you look closely, you'll see the 1st berg of the season framed in the mouth of the bay itself.

CDms4lDW8AAQzjb.jpg

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Saw a familiar face at the water pan, not sure if its the cat from Feb ... but still cool

A%20Friend_zpslskgd2wf.png

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So put paint cans up on the pillars round the house to discourage doves from nesting.

Turns out a mommy quail nested in one of the cans and had 8 babies! She could not get them out so had to climb up on a ladder, get the can, and carefully lay it on its side under a bush where she could come rescue the little ones.
-SO CUTE!

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%2010.16.12%20AM_zps3xt7kzo1.png

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have quails in our back yard. We rarely see them closer than about 50 yards away. The babies are so cute. My Mom described the really little ones as looking like walnuts with legs.

MM
glad you were able to rescue them

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've barely seen a hummingbird since my last pic. I checked my plastic measuring cups and found I'd accidentally been using the one a size smaller in the past month, so the stuff is like 5 to 1 water/sugar mix instead of the 4 to 1 that I read about years ago on Teh Internet that has always worked, so I reloaded the feeders and put another one out, with water that's probably saturated with sugar. We'll see if they come back...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Well don't do too much sugar, you can make hummingbirds sick if it's too saturated. (Though I see them all the time getting the 'syrup' stuff out of the bottom of mine - maybe they like a sugar high?)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while but I went to the botanical gardens today and came back with some lovely photos.

phippscatbird_zpsv7ndzjtj.jpg

Gray catbird

funflower_zpspfis9wpw.jpg

No idea what this flower is, but I really like it.

bathingrobin_zpsnsdikv5r.jpg

American robin who decided to go for a dip.

orangebutterfly_zpshahw60bb.jpg

My favorite picture of the day. Taken with my phone of all things.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
The robin has the expression of "Do you Mind? I'm trying to bathe here." :greenie

Lovely Photos, LadyV. (I think I see the catbird's relatives around my place all the time. Or at least my cats do. :) )
Robins always look pissed off.

Catbirds are related to mockingbirds and thrashers, so depending on where you (drawing a blank at the moment) then it's entirely possible. For the past three years, my neighborhood was overrun by mockingbirds. This year, we don't have even one. I miss hearing their crazy songs.

Jack Lebowski

Registered
Reaction score
Incredible pics LadyV! Four stars all 'round!
Jack-Gorgeous! Period.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well don't do too much sugar, you can make hummingbirds sick if it's too saturated. (Though I see them all the time getting the 'syrup' stuff out of the bottom of mine - maybe they like a sugar high?)
But I finally SAW one this morning!

I've always done the 4 to 1 water-to-sugar ratio that I read about online years ago (so it MUST be right...), and that's already pretty close to saturated. Maybe I'll read up some more on it.
It's been a while but I went to the botanical gardens today ...
That's cheating! :D