Autokilled?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
****Disclaimer: I've only even tried chat rooms a couple of times and don't really understand them. That might become very clear in the following post. ****

I don't honestly remember the last time I was on the AW chat. A long time ago, for sure. But I'm pretty darn sure I wouldn't use a chat room to harass anyone, especially anyone from AW. Just not my MO.

Still, I had a little time to kill and thought I'd try out the chat room again, and for some reason, I couldn't get in. Then I noticed this red text reading:

***** Closing link: Monkey1 [mobile (I don't know if I should put these numbers, but it's not my mobile number).mycingular.net] k-lined.

I'm using my AT&T phone's wifi, if that helps at all... I don't know what mobile number is being referenced or why mycingular.net has anything to do with it.

Anyway, below that was green text reading:

******* Autokilled by Luverly [___ME____ -- harassment]

Harassment? Wha?

I don't know when I'll get a wild hair and try the chat room again, but this bothers me, and it could be happening to others, so I figured I'd mention it.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Luverly is a system operator at StarChat.net, the agency who provides the chat service we use. I know of no reason you in particular are k-lined, but there several causes for such events. One is that someone else who is particularly nasty uses several IP addresses that are close to yours and that attempts to put a broad spectrum ban on that guy has somehow affected you as well. Or, it may have to do with you using a phone to connect--we have several members who attempt to do just that but with varying success.

I suggest you try a dedicated chat client such as mIRC, PIRCH, ChatZilla (an add on for Firefox that several members like), IceChat, or the like. You may also use the javachat link provided in the FAQ thread here, but honestly, it isn't a great deal better than attempting to chat on a phone (some say worse).

If that doesn't solve your issues, PM me and we can approach the SysOps at StarChat for a solution.

Peter, AW Chat Room Operator

ETA:
I just checked with the SysOps in StarChat, and they concur that 1) phones are not an optimum way to connect to chat, and 2) yes, it could be a conflict with another user's IP address.

They recommend you do the following:
Send an Email to [email protected] and include in that email ALL particulars, especially the exact wording of the error message you get when you attempt to connect. The StarChat staff are very helpful and quite nice, so please, treat them with utmost respect. We do use their service FOR FREE! Let's not jeopardize that gift.

Last edited: