Something from your childhood that you miss

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Saw a broken cassette on the street today. With tape tangled in a bush blowing in the wind. Not something I really miss but can't remember the last time I saw such a thing. Might never again , but used to see them everywhere.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
A couple years ago our notoriously antiquated school librarian sent me a box of travel slides circa 1950. They came with a note saying that the photos were of Spain and I might want to check out the slide carousel to show them to my class.

Yeah. I tossed them in a cabinet and went back to our Google Earth tour of Burgos. (More cantinas than statues of El Cid but an interesting place.)

This week, while I was cleaning out file cabinets, the box of slides came to light. I parked it on my desk while deciding what to do with them. Of course the kids found the box and being high school kids they pulled out the slides. Their wonderment was truly sidesplitting.

"Hey! These are tiny little pictures! Hold them up to the light!"
"They are on like plastic stuff."
"Where are the pixels?"
"How did they get into these little frames?"
"These would be cool if we could find some kind of thing to make them bigger. Is there an app?"

Intending to give them a lesson in ancient technology, I went in search of the slide carousel but no luck. According to the custodians, they tossed it out back in 1998. I'm not saying I cherish the memory of presenting slide shows, just that they are a memory from teaching days past--s6

Last edited:

Aniko

Registered
Reaction score
I really miss the summers, going to the library to get as many books as I could get. Then going home, and trying to decide which one to read first. And of course the days of sunbathing and reading them all in record time. I miss my time to read, nowadays, I only have time to read before going to sleep.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to read the first chapter of every book --we could have five-- as soon as I got home. I still do this. I come straight home, start dinner and then read the first chapter of every book--s6

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My tolerance for sugary sodas. Particularly being able to chug an entire bottle of orange Sunkist on a 100 degree day. Without throwing up.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple years ago our notoriously antiquated school librarian sent me a box of travel slides circa 1950. They came with a note saying that the photos were of Spain and I might want to check out the slide carousel to show them to my class.

Yeah. I tossed them in a cabinet and went back to our Google Earth tour of Burgos. (More cantinas than statues of El Cid but an interesting place.)

This week, while I was cleaning out file cabinets, the box of slides came to light. I parked it on my desk while deciding what to do with them. Of course the kids found the box and being high school kids they pulled out the slides. Their wonderment was truly sidesplitting.

"Hey! These are tiny little pictures! Hold them up to the light!"
"They are on like plastic stuff."
"Where are the pixels?"
"How did they get into these little frames?"
"These would be cool if we could find some kind of thing to make them bigger. Is there an app?"

Intending to give them a lesson in ancient technology, I went in search of the slide carousel but no luck. According to the custodians, they tossed it out back in 1998. I'm not saying I cherish the memory of presenting slide shows, just that they are a memory from teaching days past--s6

Find someone to scan them! What a treasure trove!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
My lunchtime dessert at school: A handful of chocolate chip cookies, and a thermos full of ice cold milk. I would slowly eat the cookies, then I'd chug down the milk in a few gulps. Nothing like a "cold one" in the middle of a hard day at school.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss Woolworths. That store had everything and then some.

I miss going places during the summer. One week we would go to New Hampshire with my Aunt, another week the Cape with my Dad, a different week we'd go down the Cape to my Grandparents. Now that I'm an adult I don't go anywhere.

I miss these too

LtboxButtonCandy.jpg

1201573342-29328_full.jpg

snow-caps.jpg

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You don't have to miss the Dotz, Reg. They still make them. I spent the weekend with Magnolia, my candy-holic g-daughter. She keeps a candy stash hidden in her bedroom because her mother has become an anti-candy zealot. (I remember well when I was the cold hearted candy sheriff and her mother had stashes hidden all over my house. Funny what a difference paying dental bills makes.)

Anyway, Magnolia's stash is a dead ringer for yours with a paper of dots right on top! She explained that she can't keep chocolate because it melts and Dots last a lot longer. These looked like thay had lasted a looong time. The Peeps were pretty concrete, too.

She showed me the stash and let me take a handful of Bit O Honeys only because I cleaned the poop out of her gecko's terrarium and handled the meal worms. Maz hates the feel of meal worms. I did wash my hands before diving into the candy. I can only hope Maz does the same.

I was going to say pet lizards are something that I miss from my childhood, but in a way, I still have one--s6

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We always called those bellybuttons. Nothing better than colored sugar stuck to paper :D

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Saw a broken cassette on the street today. With tape tangled in a bush blowing in the wind. Not something I really miss but can't remember the last time I saw such a thing. Might never again , but used to see them everywhere.
Stop by my place. I'll show you boxes of them. I can even play them for you . . . and turn them into CDs. :)

maryland

Registered
Reaction score
Coming in from school, a latchkey child, and the dog turning from the fireside to greet me. Listening to Children's Hour 5-6pm on the radio.
Going out to play in the streets on summer evenings and parents calling out names at 9pm for children to come home. Making screwed-up paper, criss-crosses of firewood, strategic lumps of coal and lighting the fire on winter mornings. Kettle lid dancing up and down as the water boiled.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
The canal I swam in as a child. I probably should have died there (it was dangerous enough), but some of my best memories are tied to it.

Moont

Registered
Reaction score
Sandcastles, sunny summers by the Mediterranean sea, the joy of finding a treasure in sea shells, the games we played - starting 2 brothers and 2 sisters besides me - and ending up with most of the kids in the village joining in...

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A mulberry tree in the back yard. Especially the dark red, not-quite ripe ones.

Ally Atherton

Registered
Reaction score
I miss simple things like playing wall tennis in my back garden and my great grandad and Pluto, my hand puppet. I took him everywhere!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the people, a lot of the kids and some of the adults, too.

RandyPendleton

Registered
Reaction score
I know this will sound pessimistic, but I'd simply like my youth back. It's true that ya don't know what you're missing until it's gone. I hated my childhood (I'm a child of the 90s) but now I'd like it all back.

I was diagnosed wit neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2) when I was 16; I've been ill for a few years before. I miss the times when I didn't have anything to worry about. Now that I'm an adult, struggling with NF2... it all just sucks. The thing from my past I'd like to re-experience is simply my youth. As much as I hated it, my life was easier as a kid :p