• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Goofy but Interesting or Completely Pretentious

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkenney

Registered
Reaction score
Kicking around a silly(?) idea for the opening of a novel I'm playing with. Even as I write this I think it's too much, but thought I'd throw it out and see what others think.

A dark stallion, it’s long mane flying behind it, danced before me. The powerful front legs, frantically drove the beast in a side to side motion, its sharp hooves striking at the ground. Without any warning, I heard the shrill, brilliant, harmonious, blast of brass horns. The stallion, now standing, and cradling a microphone in it’s front hooves began singing,
Do you remember
the twenty first night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders….​
Yawning I stretched my arms out from under the covers. I listened for a moment more,
…My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see​
before slapping off my alarm clock. With a grin, on my face, instead of the usual groan, I opened my eyes. I wouldn’t say, I jumped out of bed like a kid at Christmas but I’m pretty sure anyone else, seeing the way I was acting, would have a differing opinion. Certainly the smile on my face was giving away any feelings, I may be trying to suppress. But, I simply couldn’t help myself. It may only be a picnic to the Catoctin Mountains but it had been so long since Mom and Dad and I had done something together… Well, it made this huge for me.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Kicking around a silly(?) idea for the opening of a novel I'm playing with. Even as I write this I think it's too much, but thought I'd throw it out and see what others think.

A dark stallion, it’s long mane flying behind it, danced before me. The powerful front legs, frantically drove the beast in a side to side motion, its sharp hooves striking at the ground. Without any warning, I heard the shrill, brilliant, harmonious, blast of brass horns. The stallion, now standing, and cradling a microphone in it’s front hooves began singing,
Do you remember
the twenty first night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders….​
Yawning I stretched my arms out from under the covers. I listened for a moment more,
…My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see​
before slapping off my alarm clock. With a grin, on my face, instead of the usual groan, I opened my eyes. I wouldn’t say, I jumped out of bed like a kid at Christmas but I’m pretty sure anyone else, seeing the way I was acting, would have a differing opinion. Certainly the smile on my face was giving away any feelings, I may be trying to suppress. But, I simply couldn’t help myself. It may only be a picnic to the Catoctin Mountains but it had been so long since Mom and Dad and I had done something together… Well, it made this huge for me.

Hello there. Holy commas, batman. <--There's a freebie for you. You need fifty posts before you can post in the Share Your Work forum to receive critiques. In the interim, feel free to crit others' work. :)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Besides the fact that you aren't to the 50 post threshold, music lyrics are copyrighted and a no-go in published fiction. Music companies press their rights pretty aggressively.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
What the others said. But don't be too disheartened. Goofy and intriguing. Stick around, hit the fifty posts and head to the syw sections.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Lyrics are not necessarily a no-go. I negotiated a license to use lyrics from the Jim Steinman/Meatloaf song "Out of the Frying Pan." Cost me $100 for about 8-12 words.

The hard part is tracking down who owns the rights, and actually getting a response from them. I wanted to use some Jimmy Buffett lyrics in the same book, and ended up withdrawing my request because they were taking so long.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Wow, yeah I think I read everyone loud and clear. Mea Culpa.

Aw, don't be disheartened

As WriterDude said, I found it quite goofy and fun, and loved ow you set up one image only to twist it about and give me quite another*

*Now imagining Earth Wind and Fire as horses...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Get your post count up and try again in SYW. Meanwhile, welcome aboard!

(Just as a little tip, though - starting with a dream, especially one as bizarre as that, is a great way to hack off potential readers, who tend to see it as a bait-and-switch. If the next paragraph or two after this excerpt doesn't have one heck of a hook, you might have trouble, here...)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
And in my mind, the very beginnings of the first draft are not the place to worry about lyrics rights. Write the book. See if they have to remain. If they do, then start the licensing process.

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, MrKenney. I think the community has pretty hard rules on getting to 50 posts before feedback is given. I will say that your prose has a very rushed feeling to it. :)

If you're wondering how to get to fifty posts, I'd suggest looking around for topics you're really interested in or look for people on the newbie forum to talk to. It's fun to see your "cohort!"

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Lyrics are not necessarily a no-go. I negotiated a license to use lyrics from the Jim Steinman/Meatloaf song "Out of the Frying Pan." Cost me $100 for about 8-12 words.
Wow, I haven't even heard of that song (that I know of), and they're getting around ten dollars a word for using a few words in a novel!

I should do like Kingwood Kowboy and write lyrics 'till the cows come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.