I have this thing I've written, that I'm happy with. How can it find an audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speusippus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to do with this thing. Here are some specific problems:

1. It is only twelve pages long, BUT it is not a short story, rather, it is a collection of twelve brief passages. BUT it is not a poetry collection, it is prose.

2. The shortness of it can be ameliorated somewhat by the fact that really, in my head, the thing has illustrations (and others who have read it have suggested this ought to be the case as well). So passage on the left, illustration stretching from that page onto the facing page--we're up to 24 pages or so. BUT how does one get something illustrated?

3. It is on religious or spiritual themes BUT it is not setting forth doctrines or pop-sentiments or anything digestible like that. What it is, is, a playful (sometimes subversive) re-telling of some bits of the New Testament, but with a tone and contextual apparatus more reminiscent of stuff from the Zen literature. Specifically, it imitates the format and tone of the tales from the Gateless Gate, including Mumon's "commentary" as well as the tales themselves. It's important to note here that it's not a straightforwardly Christian work. I don't think traditional Christian publishing houses would be particularly interested in it.

4. I don't know the first thing about the publishing world, much less about what to do with this particular thing I've written. Who would publish a thing like this? Do I need to get it illustrated before submitting it? Should I be self-publishing it? But if so how the heck do I get it to an audience? Etc etc.

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome, Speusippus.

What you've got sounds like a chapbook, which I think nowadays are usually poetry. Try starting with that term in your Google search. When you have a few hits, IMMEDIATELY come back here and search for them on the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks board. Then check them out on Preditors and Editors.

DO NOT SKIP THESE TWO STEPS.

Good luck!

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
How about an e-book ... check out religious publishers?
Have someone review your notes
and maybe their comments can make you improve your article.

Speusippus

Registered
Reaction score
How about an e-book ... check out religious publishers?
Have someone review your notes
and maybe their comments can make you improve your article.

In the latter two lines, are you referring to getting feedback on the work and revising based on the feedback? If so, just to be clear, the work I'm talking about has been through that, and will go through it some more in all probability. (I'm not sure this is what you meant, though, because I'm not sure what you are referring to with the terms 'notes' and 'article.')

I'm looking around for religious publishers and chapbook publishers, thank you for that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.