Similar pen names

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
I recently published a story on amazon with a pen name. I kinda made it up on the fly, but doing a search later turned up other authors with that same name. Did I just screw myself over by having the same pen name as them?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to say, your failure probably screws them over more than it does you. You have no readership expecting a certain type, genre, length, quality, whatever, and the other authors may.

Lesson learned, I hope. Always do your research before putting yourself out in the world. That means your pseudonym and the names of your characters as well.

Maryn, remembering a woman in her critique group who had an evil IT guy character named William Gates

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
If it makes you feel any better, though no one with my exact pseudonym seems to exist in the writing world -- there is a well-known dancer and choreographer -- there are two very similar names, also erotica/romance writers: Tilly Greene and Ellie Greene

So far, not much crossover complaints from either. I am online friends with both, after the fact, and we find it hilarious. Great minds think alike.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
Should I try to change it? I've already put up promotional stuff for that pen name.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose for me it would depend on how much difficulty it would be to change it everywhere I'd put it out. The book itself, yes. Half a dozen places online? Yes. Seventy-five places? Well...

Best case scenario, the original edition with the pen name you didn't checke will become a collector's item.

Maryn, fingers crossed

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
Were you serious about 75? I barely have two down. I only put it on goodreads and a tumblr account. I'd prefer not to link it to my real name or to this name, which is the pen name I will be using for mainstream fiction.

Edit: thinking of giving the pen name a middle initial to separate it from the other books and so the small handful that already bought it don't get confused.

Edit 2: well, apparently I can't edit the author after book is published on amazon. Oh well.

Last edited:

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I could be wrong, but yes you can edit on Amazon. An author friend typed her name wrong and when I pointed it out she fixed it. Goodreads...I'm not sure. You need a Librarian for that.

Personally, yes, I would change it. It could be trouble for you. Just as an example, if your name was JK Rowling, Harry Potter fans might buy your book expecting wizards. When they get erotica, yeah, they'll be seriously pissed. Not only will they return the books, but you have a much higher chance of getting bad reviews. And if your name is similar to another erotic author, then when readers find out you're different people they will return the books and leave bad reviews accusing you of trying to steal another writer's fame.

The thing is, people buy books expecting X. When you give them Y, some enjoy, most don't. You don't want your book plagued with bad reviews and promo just because of your pen name.

You don't have to change it drastically. For example, you're name on here is Jacob Wallace. You could change it to Jakob R. Wallace. That one letter in your first name and the middle initial is very subtle but will still give some distinction.

As for the people who have purchased the book already, I know on Amazon and B&N that when you're hooked into Wifi that cover changes do update. I bought a book with one cover but when I went to read it a few weeks later it was different.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on edit details. It only had the option to add contributors, but not to change a current one.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
Hi don't worry you made a slight mistake, I made a flaming huge one, my name Ellen March erotic romance it was a while before I discovered another Ellen March host of Sew it all TV, although needless to say don't think anyone could get us confused. :Shrug: