• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brown Recluse Books

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Six-month update, since their Google ad* caught my eye.

No sign of any contest (or winner(s) of the previous one...).

Here's their first book: http://www.brownreclusebooks.com/RFMExcerpt.html

They now offer "Expert Help for Self-Publishers": http://www.brownreclusebooks.com/Consulting.html
What a surprise.

(1) The first author published just **HAPPENS** to be the the same person as the publisher.
See her myspace page here: (Terra Little: "I'm the Brown Recluse")

(2) The book just **HAPPENS** to get three 5 star reviews on Amazon .. from people who have never done another Amazon review !!

What a joke. Better downgrade their status from 'honest but clueless' to 'vanity self-publisher who is pretending not to be'.

Why couldn't 'Brown Recluse' be honest enough when she was posting here to simply state that part of the aim of the publishing company was to publish her own writing?

This kinda thing makes me mad.

Mac
* Amazon ranking of Brown Recluse's books: #2,593,932 in Books
(The official webpage for the publisher directs people to Amazon, so we can assume that Amazon dominates the online sales)
* Amazon ranking of "Atlanta Nights": #831,386 in Books

(PS: I still like the idea of 'offering aspiring writers who have been slammed with repeated rejections, yet another opportunity to break into the writing world'. I think I'm going to start a Tuna company with the slogan "We sell the fish that John West rejects!")
(PPS: Her book might be wonderful, and just really poorly marketed. The dishonesty of not mentioning the self-publishing aspect just annoys me)

Last edited:

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yet another anger inducing story. It amazes me how people misrepresent themselves, and think nothing of it.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
They are also now advertising on Google Ads. Legitimate presses do not need to drum up business with Google Ads. These ads are marketing to writers, so guess where there money come from.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
A disappointment for any aspiring writer who is unaware of these type of con games to get their money.

She could be honest, that might attract writers, but if she wants money up front it is a deterent. I've seen a lot of these type of publishers lately, or since I started writing perhaps. So funny when the winner of the contest who is published as a prize happens to be the editor and publisher :Wha:
Ah the need to be published is strong. :)

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It is a shame. I counted 110 self-publishers from (ONE) list that proffessed to accept submissions for print publication. All of these sites were placards to advertize their own self-published books. They introduce the cattle call on these sites to attrack writers, which drives their "hits" up, and the misconception that these writers will buy a sample of their only published book.

I've seen three previously pubbed PA authors start up these micro-presses, only to fold in humiliation once word got out that it was a self-publishing vanity site. Also, I truly believe that many have watched the un-earned success of PA (with their 1000s of author), and realized that there is a buck to be made in the industry by using the exact same busy model as PA. If PA = race horses and helicopters, then it must be a lucrative business model, and is therefore copied.

Look at Reagant Press, for example. What a waste.

Tri

Last edited:

Brown Recluse Books

Brown Recluse Books is not and has never been a vanity publisher. Period. In terms of the Call to Publish 2006 Contest: it was cancelled once the submission period was over (August 31, 2006) because we only received five or six submissions (one or two of which might have been poetry or short stories, etc. and therefore ineligible). Our review team did not feel that we had enough of a variety from which to select a winner, so we cancelled the contest. We also contacted those who entered and explained why the contest was cancelled, as well as refunded their original method of entry fee payment. We were in no hurry to rush off to the bank with the entry fees because swindling folks out of money was not our intent. Therefore, we were able to send entrants back their original money orders, checks, etc. In hindsight, we could probably have posted the announcement that it was cancelled on our site but we figured that, with so few who entered, we would personally inform those who needed to know (the entrants), since they took the time to enter. To address the allegation that the title Running from Mercy is the supposed contest winner: This is incorrect and we have never purported such. In fact, the title was printed and published in July 2006, which is well before the slated August 2006 closing date for contest submissions. The winner of the contest would not have been announced until October 31, 2006, so publication of the title and the contest were and are clearly two separate events. You are correct in assuming that BRB started off as one person's concept, but you are incorrect in speculating that it is a "front" for anything else. Aside from author Terra Little, there are others who make up BRB and we are most definitely a legitimate publisher. The expert in anything was once a beginner, was he not? We have said that we are a small publishing house and we intend to remain so. One project was brought to fruition and we then decided to expand on our mission, and look toward releasing additional titles. We are actively seeking projects from other aspiring authors, so that we can do for them what we have done for Running from Mercy, which is to bring them to fruition and help new authors gain exposure. Our original mission was and is to help aspiring authors become commercially published, with the goal of gaining exposure and, hopefully, moving on to larger publishing houses, as Running from Mercy has done (look for its re-release as part of a two-book publishing contract in 2008). If part of our management team includes an aspiring writer, why would we not publish that person's work if we feel that it has merit? We are able to offer "expert" services to writers because we have a team of experts in their fields, which includes editors, typesetters/interior designers, etc. and we can pass the very reasonable prices that we receive for these services on to others who don't have bottomless pockets. Currently, our second title is in the pre-publication stages and is expected to be available online and in brick and mortar bookstores soon. As we are not a vanity or POD publisher, any and all titles that we publish are nationally distributed under the National Book Network umbrella. We are poised for longevity in the book publishing industry and we appreciate all of the well meant and not so well meant concern regarding our progress. We wish you all much success in your future endeavors.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hello Brown Recluse.

You have published one book--written by a staff member, and you offer "quality, cost-effective services to self-publishers and authors ... an individualized marketing and promotional plan that fits your budget and your book ... Email us today for a price quote! "

You have not, at this point, published any book by an outside, non-fee-paying author.

You may aspire to be more but you are a self-publisher, of the sort that could be called 'vanity' although I avoid that term.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Brown Recluse Books is not and has never been a vanity publisher. ...

... We are able to offer "expert" services to writers because we have a team of experts in their fields, which includes editors, typesetters/interior designers, etc. and we can pass the very reasonable prices that we receive for these services on to others who don't have bottomless pockets.
If you pass along the cost of production to the author (even at reasonable prices), you are a vanity publisher.

Note: For readability, it would be helpful if you used paragraphs. It's kind of a writer thing.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
They're with Biblio.

That's good, but I think it's still a concern that Brown Recluse published just one book in 2006, and its website shows no sign of what might be coming in 2007.

The website also makes no mention of who the staff is, making it hard to determine whether they're experienced or not.

- Victoria

Brown Recluse Books

We are under contract with Biblio Distribution, Inc. (a sister company of NBN). We would also like to clarify that the services we offer to assist authors with prepping their work for publication are for those who are self-publishing their own books and who are not otherwise affiliated with Brown Recluse Books. These services do not pertain to books that we plan to publish.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure that is a very significant distinction. It might just become one after you have released some books. Anything in the works?

Brown Recluse Books

Yes; a young adult/"tween" title that should interest many, since violence in our schools seems to be so prevalent these days.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Brown Recluse Books is not and has never been a vanity publisher.
Apologies. I was the one who pointed out that since 'Brown Recluse Books' had only ever published a single book, which happened to be by an author who happened to be THE principle of the company (who self identified herself as 'Brown Recluse' on her webpage) that it was likely to be a vanity self-publisher.

If that is incorrect, then I apologise.

However ..

(1) You are selling advice on how to self-publish, but you aren't a self-publisher. Then what is your experience with self-publishing ?

(2) And you are selling advice on how to market, yet by your own admission your own marketting of your own 'Call to Publish 2006' contest was an utter failure !!! (Five or six submissions, one or two of which weren't even eligible !?)

So what makes you an expert on marketting !?

(3) Your aim is to help authors become commercially published. So what experience does your staff have at commercial marketting ?

These are not unusual or difficult questions. These are the questions that all of us who live by selling our services have to answer to any prospective customers.

Victoria has posted more questions earlier.

You have an entire board (with about 11,800 members) of potential customers here. So start impressing us ...

Mac

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Developments of note: The "consulting" service is gone, as are the imprints; her book is being reprinted by another publisher (Q Boro); and the new anthology pays $25.