Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone following, southern Vermont is in very rough shape, and several of their historic covered bridges have been washed away. Very sad and awful. My thoughts go out to my neighbors to the north. )-:

-Suzanne

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My brother and his wife live on the south shore of Long Island - just about where Irene came ashore. They came through all right with one tree down and a lot of tree damage - plus no power (now back on). They consider themselves very fortunate. Puma

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Checking in...

My area was hit hard by wind. Like the Mid-Atlantic, New England is suffering hard with downed trees, thousands without power, and flooding. Vermont is getting nailed right now.

We got our power back after 12 hours, though most people are going to go much longer. We haven't really assessed the damage yet, but so far it looks like we have a tree uprooted and it took the fence with it.

Everyone stay safe!

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
Some people say we've been hit already and some people say we're gonna get hit in the next few hours. I suppose I'll know if my apartment gets torn apart ;)

Tedashii

Registered
Reaction score
I don't live in the region where Irene's hitting. But some family up in Vermont is hit pretty bad though. Checking up on them.

VTwriter

Hair today, gone tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrgreer.com
We escaped mostly unscathed in my part of Vermont. We had lots of flooded fields and roads, but little property and road damage.

In other parts of Vermont, bridges were destroyed and large sections of roads were washed out, including major thoroughfares. There are many places where people are isolated because all roads in and out of their area are impassable, if not gone altogether. The amount of damage is just mind-boggling.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I see poor Christchurch just got hit again with a pretty major quake. It's been a rough year down there. Puma

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw that. Hope our N Zed friends are all right.

Jhakka

Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be flying down to Christchurch for Christmas tomorrow :(

Not sure if that's happening now but everyone I know seems to be ok and that's all that matters to me. Quakes today have done more damage and more people injured but nothing as bad as February, thankfully.

Hope any other members who are from ChCh or who have friends or family there are ok too.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I have friends in Kaiapoi that i'm yet to hear back from. I hope they're okay. They've already lost one house, from the Sept 2010 quake, so i'm also hoping their new house is okay.

Jhakka

Registered
Reaction score
I have friends in Kaiapoi that i'm yet to hear back from. I hope they're okay. They've already lost one house, from the Sept 2010 quake, so i'm also hoping their new house is okay.

Kaiapoi was pretty badly hit back in September, but I haven't heard anything about it so far with this one. My loved ones are in the eastern suburbs so looks like we will be spending Christmas shovelling liquefaction again but my flight is still going, and I just want to get there and give them a hug.

Hope your friends and their home are ok.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Have a safe trip, Jhakka. My thoughts will be with you all in the days to come. :Hug2:

Jhakka

Registered
Reaction score
Have a safe trip, Jhakka. My thoughts will be with you all in the days to come. :Hug2:

Thanks. Made it there ok & found my loved ones all safe & sound, aftershocks take a bit of getting used to again but I'm just glad to be home. Take care everybody, regardless of where you are. :Hug2:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're okay, best wishes to the rest of our NZ family

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Just checking to make sure you guys are hearing from our Midwest USian folk, who've been pounded by storms and tornados the last few days.

Peeps okay out there?

Both my facebook scrabble buddies are deep in Tornado country, but they've also both taken their turns in the game, today, and they're beating the pants off me...so they're both okay.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Hope they're doing well and are safe.

I understand southern Alabama is also under tornado watch while the CG is searching for their remaining crew member.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's still raining in Alabama and Georgia with tornado watches still up until 5AM (2+ more hours), but the weather guys say chances of tornadoes are diminished from earlier in the night. We did have several (like five or six) tornadoes in north Georgia with substantial destruction, though I didn't hear a report of anyone killed. Now it's just mostly more rain.

Current weather alerts for me at weather.com:
Flash Flood Warning
Tornado Watch
Flash Flood Watch
Local Pollen Alert

There was a fifth one earlier, I forget what it was.

Several from NaNoWriMo around Atlanta congregate on Twitter when there's a storm, and also two AW'ers tweeted at me about the storms.