Reviews for a self published book.

chelsie00xx

Chelsie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chelsieshock.wordpress.com
My book came out late June and I am soooo thrilled =^_^= so far, what has worked. (And I want to thank everyone again for their help and honest replies) is Goodreads. Posting on read for review topics has gotten me 6 reviews. 4 reviews were 3 stars, 2 were 5 stars. Each one they stated they received a copy of my book for an honest review. I really had to do a lot of research though with that - and made sure I was polite and courteous (of course) and made sure that they enjoyed the specific genre that the book is, I also gave them no deadline because I wanted them to know I appreciated their time.
When I e-mailed reviewers on Amazon however (about 30) none responded.

Right now I'm hosting a giveaway through my author website, a coupon through smashwords in which you have to sign up for my newsletter in order to receive the free ebook. It's day 2 and I have only had 4 people sign up for the free ebook. Although - 17 people have downloaded a sample. So it's not totally a major success, but I count each one person who reads the book or the sample a small success in my eyes :)
I signed up for Selfpublishersshowcase.com and that was a bit pricy for my budget 49$ for the next 12 months... but it has gained me about 100 followers on twitter, and I can write guest posts for them to showcase my writing/get an author page/they retweet me. Which is big potential for readers to enjoy my articles and then share them, and possibly stumble upon my novel. I am doing a one day 15$ "new discoveries" promo on kboards.com and then I am in the works of doing a 25$ "blog tour" with 6-8 blogs, author interviews, an ebook giveaway and then 6 different excerpts from the novel. :) I am using:
http://www.rbtlreviews.com/
I'll see how that goes... I'd never even heard of blog tours until recently.

The paperback will be finalized next week and then I'll do a Goodreads giveaway!
I'm also working on my next novel... I will prepare better next time. lol. I will do a blog tour cover reveal next time, and make sure to send out some review requests BEFORE publishing it! I was too eager this time around haha!!! But naturally, I'm trying my best at promotion but I don't like shameless self promotion. It's weird.
I DO however think that the next novel I will try KDP Select publishing for the first 90 days... as, I think it might be better since it's a second novel - and hopefully give me some exposure.
I just wanted to update this thread about how the self published book promotion is going - have any of you had any tips or successes with certain ways to promote your self published books/gain unbiased self-pub reviews?

Last edited: