Time-frame for approaching local newspapers?

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I apologize in advance if this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything on this. Does anyone know if there is an "acceptable" time-frame to contact local newspapers after the publication of your book?

I released my first book in August of last year, and my second in December. I never contacted local papers because, absurdly, it just never occurred to me. Now, however, I am looking ahead to the release of my third book in August. I would like to plan some kind of press release and contact local papers. The problem is, it's the third book in a series. Is it weird to approach a newspaper three books in? Should I maybe approach them now for the other two? Or is it too late for the first two? Any thoughts?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Newspapers deal in news. They'll review books at publication date: but there's nothing new for them in "here are two books which have already been published!"

When your next book comes out, send them a press pack (including a review copy) about three months in advance of publication date. Mention the older books in your press release. Cross your fingers.

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Newspapers deal with more than news. Think "Community Interest". While I agree with Old Hack that it's too late to promote your first two books directly, there might be a couple of ways to indirectly get something going.

First, you are a local author, so the newspaper might be interested in *that* angle, and while you are talking about what it means to be a local author, you will include that you have two books of a series (book a and book b) and will soon be releasing book c, the third in the series.

Second, if your books are non-fiction then it's the information - your knowledge and experience - the newspaper may be interested in. That can be published at any time.

Good luck.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the reviewer would rule out reviewing the third book in a series, if it caught his or her eye. Even if you had promoted the first two, they might not have been reviewed for any number of reasons (too many other books, vacation, etc.).

Your press release should definitely mention the first two titles.

And as Khobar says, the local author angle is golden. Make sure to mention your hometown up front. ("Pride and Prejudice," by Springfield author C.J. Browning,...")