Rejected Amazon Reviews

Colonist17

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am new to AW and searched through the threads for a little bit to see if I could find any similar threads on this subject, so please forgive me if I'm repeating a question that has already been answered.

I just released my first novella a week ago via Amazon, CreateSpace, and Smashwords. I have made some sales, nothing big, but still enough to make me happy that someone actually wanted to read something I wrote. On my Facebook writer fan page, I got a message from a reader who bought my book in eBook form on Amazon. They said they tried to leave a review (5 stars, yes!), but they're review was rejected.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

They forwarded me the review and I asked Amazon. Amazon told me their guidelines were 1. No profanity, 2. Over 20 words/under 500, 3. No external links, 4. No promotion of other product on a review for this product. This review met all those guidelines. My father tried to test this on his own then (he bought an eBook copy) and his review was also rejected. He emailed Amazon's review appeals and they responded that anyone that is family or friends with the author are not allowed to do reviews.

First off, the person that brought it to my attention isn't someone I personally knew. They added me on my Facebook fan page after they bought and tried to review the book. And in the case of my dad, how do they even know he's family? Yes he has my same last name, but many people will review books with authors that have the same last name. Doesn't mean they're related. I wouldn't want to go this route, but I've even seen authors who reviewed their own book or/and had a spouse that did so.

I'm just in a kind of shock. I would love reviews on my book (especially a 5 star), but I have to wonder if any of the other people that purchased my book also had trouble.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this to our Book Promotion room, where it's a better fit.

I've heard of Amazon rejecting reviews: I'm sure there are other threads about it here, which you could perhaps search for, but I bet our other members will soon join in and tell you more than I can.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
If this person is related to you I have heard amazon will not post the review

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Could you post the review? If it is not the review it is either because the algorithm decided you were associated (e.g. they are another author in the genre or something) or this person failed to post the review properly somehow.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's odd. I had a review (two-stars, at that) from someone I don't know at Smashwords within a week of one of my books' releases. My book then had to re-undergo Smashwords' "Premium Catalog" vetting for a couple of days before it was reinstated. I guess it's policy there. I've never had an issue with Amazon reviews, though.

Colonist17

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sorry about placing this topic in the wrong category.

This is the review that the person sent to my Facebook page, alerting me that it was rejected. I personally don't know this person. They are not a friend or family member and don't even have a name close to mine. My name is Daniel Millhouse and their name is Chis Jankowski.

"I liked this book. It's a novella, so it's a quick read. It's listed as a ghost story, but isn't a gory/bloody storyline. Very subtle and has spooky elements behind it. I like the story's antagonist. It isn't apparent right away that he's the antagonist, but when it comes out that he is, his actions become disturbing. Definitely something to check out if you like fiction and/or ghost stories that aren't too bloody. Definitely something I would recommend."

After being alerted that this review was rejected by my reader, my father tried to review it too and was also rejected with this review...
"It's a good book. An enjoyable read for late at night. It's like a book version of those classic horror movies where what you didn't see is scarier than what you did see. An easy read."

The Amazon appeals people claimed it's because they reject all family and friends' reviews. I would understand if my father's was rejected (although he lives at a different address and uses a different last name), but the first person to bring it to my attention has no connection to me beyond my book.

Thank you for any suggestions. I appreciate the support.

RhodaD'Ettore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
goinpostalnj.blogspot.com
Same thing happened to me... the lady wrote to the effect that my book made her long for a time long since gone, where people cared for one another and had respect--- Amazon's reponse was that the review did not discuss the book, but her unhappiness with society (basically, not in those terms though)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are all sorts of reasons why Amazon might reject reviews, and it might be useful for us to understand how this works and why it happens: but let's not forget that reviews are for readers, not writers.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I think it's for the writer of the first review to write to Amazon Customer Services and ask for an explanation, and if possible have the review posted. You should not do this.

Colonist17

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree Old Hack.

I honestly want reviews and would love 5 star reviews like this person wanted to give me, but I also want the review there so other people can see what other readers thought of my work and what they liked or disliked about it. I mean, I could promote my book on various sites, etc. and say I think it's great, but obviously that comes with a bias. I think the Amazon review lets other potential readers know why they may like or hate the book.

Also from my standpoint, if I notice many complaints on the same subject, it may help me avoid that pitfall/mistake in my future writing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is nothing against TOS in the review so either she posted it incorrectly or they decided you two are associated too closely.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
In regards to the review rules, I'm befuddled by the Amazon policy-makers. One of my novellas has a one-star review by someone who doesn't understand the star system and apparently hasn't read the story (s/he states, "I really this this is a quality product and I would buy it again!") but customer service won't remove it.

But congratulations on your first 5-starrer, even if it isn't on Amazon.

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Same thing happened to me... the lady wrote to the effect that my book made her long for a time long since gone, where people cared for one another and had respect--- Amazon's reponse was that the review did not discuss the book, but her unhappiness with society (basically, not in those terms though)

I'm sorry that the review was rejected, but I'm LMAO at the response. No computer could have come up with that! Well, maybe HAL, but he wasn't entirely stable. ;)

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
The only review I know to have been rejected on my novelette was from my father. He read it, loved it (he says, at least) and told me he posted a review. It never showed up, but I wasn't shocked in the least.

I'm actually a junior, so my father has the exact same name as me. I figured they thought I was reviewing my own piece or something like that.

As for the original review, I agree about having the reader contact Amazon and have them explain why it was rejected.

L.David

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theseattleslew.com
This is a really interesting thread. I'm probably going to self-publish next month, and I do expect some friends/family to post reviews, but I'm curious as to how they figure out associations.

Good thing I"m not on Facebook!

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've had this happen also. I sent out ARC's for reviews. One person said they tried twice to write a review and it was rejected twice by amazon, so sorry, they loved the story but don't know what else to do.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
I've only had a review rejected once. It was for profanity - I quoted a line from an article that made me really want to read the book. I tried re-writing it, but it lost its point and the review never did get published.

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
That's weird, and unfortunate for you, but I'm actually glad to hear they're cracking down on certain things. I've reviewed a truly horrendous book in the past and couldn't believe it when tons and tons of 5 star reviews started popping up from "under 13 readers" that were basically protected by anonymity because of their age. It was pretty clear to me that they were all fake since I highly doubt dozens of different under 13 year-olds can manage to all write in the same collegiate voice. Eventually most of those got purged, but there were still lots of other reviews by other accounts that really made no sense regarding the book. Those reeked of being "family and friends" for sure.

Colonist17

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Pikko...I was fortunate that someone liked my book enough to "like" my Facebook fan page and then inform me that their book review was rejected. I don't know if any other readers had the same problem. My dad tested it and they rejected it on the basis of his relation to me. Other than my last name, not sure how they know whether or not he is related when we don't live at the same address or even close by. I understand his review being rejected otherwise, but I doubt Amazon has people performing background checks on their writers to ensure whether or not the reviewers are related to the writers (i.e. I'm sure someone with the last name Brown has reviewed a Dan Brown book).

Just a week ago, a guy who worked with my old company I worked for a couple of years ago, found out I wrote a book and bought the eBook version. I've maybe met him twice since we didn't work at the same location, but through a mutual friend found out his review was rejected too. He was going to give me a three star review, but I'm fine with that.

Just frustrating when honest reviews are rejected when I know of a couple of other authors that have their own spouses with the same last name/address leaving 5 star reviews. I don't even care if it's 5 star, just want the review from "verified purchase" readers.