Platform - Op-Ed article submission question

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you who have written a memoir submitted an Op-Ed article about what your book is about? If so, how can I effectively write an Op-Ed without completely giving away my story?

Any advice would be very appreciated

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you who have written a memoir submitted an Op-Ed article about what your book is about? If so, how can I effectively write an Op-Ed without completely giving away my story?

Any advice would be very appreciated

I don't understand, on multiple levels.

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was unclear.

A reporter wanted to cover my story (what happened to me) which is about my memoir. Then he suggested I should submit an Op-Ed, commentary opinion piece.

Any suggestions? How do you write an article about your book for media without giving away too much of the story? The problem is the ending is the high point but almost a given at this point, but the journey was extraordinaire.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was unclear.

A reporter wanted to cover my story (what happened to me) which is about my memoir. Then he suggested I should submit an Op-Ed, commentary opinion piece.

Any suggestions? How do you write an article about your book for media without giving away too much of the story? The problem is the ending is the high point but almost a given at this point, but the journey was extraordinaire.

Sorry, I'm still confused. I know what an op-ed is, and that's the source of much of my confusion - what opinion/issue would you be discussing that relates to your memoir.

I'm not sure the point of your memoir, or, again, the op-ed. I think your issue would be relating the memoir to a larger thing, not not giving away the ending (though I may not be understanding something), as you wouldn't be writing a book review of your own book.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I came through journalism school, and I've written for newspapers, but I have not the faintest idea how an op-ed piece could possibly be used in connection with your memoir.

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, OK... I see.

Part of my opinion and explaining why I came to my opinion for an Op-Ed is my experience of what happened to me (which is what my memoir is about).

Example such as, (just an example)... a gal used to be the manager of a Family Planning clinic, now she is a pro-life Activist because of her experiences in the clinic. Her memoir is about what she saw and experienced in the clinic. When she writes an Op-Ed commentary for a local newspaper explaining her new position. How does she avoid giving away the beginning and end (the basis) of her memoir to explain why she feels now the way she does?

Hym, I am not sure how to get my point across... I am really sorry I am wasting your time here guys. I will have to figure it out.

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
Why is it so important to "hide" the result if the journey was so compelling? If someone changed their view so dramatically, it could be explained in an op-ed piece but wouldn't be compelling as a well-written memoir would be. If the reporter wants to tell your story, why do you have to write a piece as well? If you fear over-exposure, then pick one or the other, but not both.

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
I think I understand your situation, but I agree that I'm not sure why you feel the need to 'hide' the outcome of your memoir. It's not like a novel where we're trying to figure out whodunnit. Most memoirs are about the journey and the end is often known up front. In your example, I think you'd need to lay out what the final opinion is (pro-life) in order to sell the book.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Do many people read memoirs for the twist ending? For me, at least, the memoir is not where the writer ends up, but the journey.
In an op-ed piece, there really isn't room for more than the bare bones. In your memoir, you have room to explain, to give examples, to show the thought processes that lead to your change of attitude.
Think of the op-ed piece less as 'giving away the story' and more as a teaser: 'This is what happened to me, but there's so much more to the story. Want to know the details? You'll have to read the book'.