So You Want To Make A Living Writing? 13 Great Truths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We writers are a strange lot. We need solitude in order to put the words in our heads down on paper [or into a word processing document]. At the same time, we need socialization to incubate those same ideas.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To me, one “great truth” not included in this is that, first and foremost, we are storytellers! While writing fulfills our own needs, to be successful, we must remember our audience.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Read more @ http://writeitforward.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/so-you-want-to-make-a-living-writing-13-great-truths/[/FONT]

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I read through with a kind of "meh" reaction, then got to "New York is hanging on to its antiquated business model instead of embracing change." and decided that's not a person to pay any more attention to...

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Can you tell me, OP, what you took away from that that was new or different? It looks like a lot of recycled schlock to me, but (and I mean this sincerely!) clearly it spoke to you, so I'd like to know which element you thought was new or revelatory?

I personally don't think that "the only person standing in the way of your success is you" is true or works very well--not everybody's cut out to be a professional writer, not everyone can tell a story that speaks to enough people to make a living, not all books can or will sell. And I get really bothered by the "It's all you!" rhetoric that attaches to this sometimes--as if anybody can do it, so the fact you didn't means you're a failure as a human as well as a writer. They get you coming and going that way!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not very original and pretty much not very helpful. Sorry, maybe for someone brand new...

Jeff

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read the blog; have seen Bob Mayer give talks, and I've read Who Dares Wins.

He's got an interesting mindset and slant on writing, and it's one that isn't common among writers. I think he's worth listening to just because his advice doesn't approach the craft quite the same way others have. Anything that stretches your brain is good for you, and his mini-seminar, at least, did stretch my brain.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others. These are all things I already know. And I agree with Red and not everyone is cut out to be a writer. People can go through all the motions and still be stuck at where they are at, not getting published. Or getting published and not selling books.

And I can NOT stand when people say just keep writing story after story after story. I know some writers that have been doing this for twenty years plus and they still make very little money.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
And I can NOT stand when people say just keep writing story after story after story. I know some writers that have been doing this for twenty years plus and they still make very little money.

Oh yes - the "widget mentality". :rolleyes:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Practice cannot, in all cases, make perfect. Some folks will just never get there. I've seen it in art, too.

Do you think that these people never achieve "success" because they never rise to a sufficient level of competency, or because they're never in the right place at the right time?

It seems to me that with enough work on your craft, you can become "good", but success may allude you because you're good at writing stuff no one wants to read.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Success - however one defines it - can elude a writer for so many reasons. Some of it is basic competency, some is luck. I tend to take a dim view of 'luck' as an excuse for negative outcomes. I've seen too many writers who essentially made their own luck, by making the most of opportunities that other writers may have missed. I've messed up spectacularly at times, but at least I can put about 90% of the fault on my shoulders.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Storytelling is just one of those words thrown around a lot I tend to ignore, as I see it in "advice" tweet a bunch. You can tell a story with anything, but writing is writing.

I have nothing against storytelling, but it's driving me nuts seeing that word thrown around a bunch. If writing were as easy as storytelling, more people would be writers. Not saying it's a bad class, just not a great first impression.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Storytelling is just one of those words thrown around a lot I tend to ignore, as I see it in "advice" tweet a bunch. You can tell a story with anything, but writing is writing.

I have nothing against storytelling, but it's driving me nuts seeing that word thrown around a bunch. If writing were as easy as storytelling, more people would be writers. Not saying it's a bad class, just not a great first impression.

you and me should have dinner together. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I read through with a kind of "meh" reaction, then got to "New York is hanging on to its antiquated business model instead of embracing change." and decided that's not a person to pay any more attention to...

Yeah, when you hear that, it's time to stop listening and go look for someone who knows something.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Sargentodiaz - that's an interesting link. Thanks for sharing it.

Naturally when we read advice like that there will be much that we have already heard. I have lost count of the number of blogs that I have read that tell me "the X things that every aspiring writer needs to know". Each one repeats a lot of what I've already read but sometimes adds some new thoughts as well.

That doesn't diminish its important or relevance. Each of us will take what we need from a piece like that.

Thanks for sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.