The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Hey Little Missy and Dolan. This is serious business! I will expect both of you to behave around Willie and Elvis! I kid you not!:box: I can still box ears with the best of em'.
I have a hard time behaving, but I'll give it a go around Elvis and Willie. Now, if The Triple Terror gets wind of this here shindig and crashes it, all bets are off. You'll hear war drums and see smoke signals in the tribe before you hear the whizzing of arrows. Just lighten up, Mem. Regress to immaturity with Dolan and me, play some hopscotch and throw some jacks. We have to live forever, girl. If we die, we run the risk of turning into zobmis.;)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Ed, as long as your hat is all you take off! Stay out of the back room of the user cp. I mean it!:wag: (smooch)
I wanna know where that back room is and what goes on in there. Do I want in? :kiss:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ann
. . . concerned about something. In my observations, we now have three classes of PA authors.

I think there's a very large class--if one can extrapolate from the message board regulars--of people who are, to put it kindly, hobbyists.

While I understand that people use a casual style on message boards, it seems to me that a great many of the PA 'authors' are incapable of writing a coherent sentence in English.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Memphis Ed said:
I'm curious as to what the plan is for a tour like this? Once you've picked out a city to park the RV in, what happens? To whom does one sell their books?

I like the concept, but the details concern me a little.....
I can envision it working if they pull into the local flea market in a sizeable city and start hawking away, threatening to hurt reluctant buyers. Better still, get the Hells Angels to do enforcement. :ROFL:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
robeiae said:
they are all still being scammed; some are just amazingly cheerful aout it.

Rob
Outwardly cheerful -- I think some of them are sick and hurting on the inside. I'm not talking about the adamant "rah, rah, bunch. I'm speaking of those who passively follow the pack. There are many there that are coming around to the truth and I believe some of those will end up over here.

I am still cautious and sensitive to the gullible -- but stand by my statement of "no sympathy" for those who know better. They are aiding and abetting the enemy. Sadly, some of those doing so, command the highest regard and respect from the regulars.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Dolan said:
This is in response to PA author Dolan's last post, re self-publishing.

Gawd, Dolan you are dumber than dirt. You are also the one who can not spell Willie, not Sher2.
Woo-hoo! Point to Sher, new scab for Dolan. I'm submitting The Rules to PA for printing so nobody gets confused again. :Smack:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Quote by Ed Williams: Re Platts being Shemp 2, I don't think that title fits him best. Whatever social skills Platts lacks, he does seem to be reasonably intelligent, which would differentiate him from Shemp.

Platts is a Vietnam War veteran, which makes me like him even more. Shemp wouldn't have the courage to fight for his country, hell he doesn't even have the courage to fight for his books!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Just lighten up, Mem. Regress to immaturity with Dolan and me, play some hopscotch and throw some jacks. We have to live forever, girl. If we die, we run the risk of turning into zobmis.;)
Better then turning into three stooges!:ROFL:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
ResearchGuy said:
Perhaps they could slip copies onto bookstore shelves. Sort of de-shoplifting.

--Ken

Well, sure they could, but if the book is as poorly edited as some we've encountered, the bookstores might get them on a charge of littering. ;)

Memphis Ed, what I can't figure out is how they'll notify all those folks before their arrival that they have books to sell. Of course, I guess they could always park next to the roadside stand with all the black velvet Elvis portraits (or would that be Elvii?).

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Could this be part of a new trend....

In fact, my parents have a very large motor home and we plan to hit the road this summer going as far as we can. It can be done without an agent, it is called believing in yourself and making it happen!
The RV multi-author signing? I mean, think about it, a few RVs, some determined authors, and voila, you have a national RV park multi-author booksigning extravaganza! I'm so excited about this possibility that I am going to whisper in both Sherry and Nancy's ear and see if they wanna share an RV with me. Just think of all the places we could visit, and hey, I promise I'll buy both of you a hamdog if we find ourselves somewhere around Atlanta. Hey, who am I to knock it if I haven't tried it first?

SierraC3.gif

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Ann said:
Those who are selfishly, for their own benefit, defending PA regardless of the hurt PA has and will do to others.

They may be well-and-truly fooled, right down to the soles of their socks.

You'll find folks who are really and sincerely convinced in the real existence of space aliens flying UFOs, that the moon landings never took place, that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are an authentic plan by the Jews to take over the world, that Hitler escaped from to Argentina, that any number of cheap and simple (or incredibly expensive) things cure baldness, impotence, obesity, or cancer, that if the roulette wheel hit black the last three times that it's more likely to hit red on this spin, and any number of other astounding things.

They aren't necessarily stupid people (or stipid, either) or particularly different from any of us. There are several strong psychological reasons for PAers to continue their belief system, regardless of the proofs to the contrary. There's a lot of self-image involved.

Appeals to ego, appeals to vanity, appeals to greed, appeals to pride, appeals to sympathy, appeals to hope, appeals to despair ... the folks running PA have a heady brew. I'm not going to blame their victims.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Sher2 said:
I can envision it working if they pull into the local flea market in a sizeable city and start hawking away, threatening to hurt reluctant buyers. Better still, get the Hells Angels to do enforcement. :ROFL:

Um, couldn't that be counter-productive taking into account that the last time they provided security at a Rolling Stones concert, they killed one of the paying customers?

Well, maybe it won't matter if he dies with a PA book clenched in his hand. Gasp, just think of the promotional opportunities that would give PA. They could advertise nationally that people are dying for PA books.

Of course, they die to get into cemeteries, too. ;)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
The RV multi-author signing? I mean, think about it, a few RVs, some determined authors, and voila, you have a national RV park multi-author booksigning extravaganza! I'm so excited about this possibility that I am going to whisper in both Sherry and Nancy's ear and see if they wanna share an RV with me. Just think of all the places we could visit, and hey, I promise I'll buy both of you a hamdog if we find ourselves somewhere around Atlanta. Hey, who am I to knock it if I haven't tried it first?

SierraC3.gif
You betcha, babe. You won't even have to take me to the prom first.;) You do have to promise to smack me upside the head, though, if you see me getting the bloodlust to ... peddle my book.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Ed Williams said:
The RV multi-author signing? I mean, think about it, a few RVs, some determined authors, and voila, you have a national RV park multi-author booksigning extravaganza!
This sounds like the makings of a great slasher movie! Now who can we cast as the villian...hmmm...

Rob

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Um, couldn't that be counter-productive taking into account that the last time they provided security at a Rolling Stones concert, they killed one of the paying customers?

Well, maybe it won't matter if he dies with a PA book clenched in his hand. Gasp, just think of the promotional opportunities that would give PA. They could advertise nationally that people are dying for PA books.

Of course, they die to get into cemeteries, too. ;)
See, that's what I was thinking. Man, what an opportunity for PA to put their famous spin on bad news. "Bad motorcycle boys attack PA authors, kill customer! PA author fights back, refuses to let go of his book, loses arm and leg, but lives to write of his struggle against adversity! Only $25.95, it will resonate you all night long!"

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
You betcha, babe. You won't even have to take me to the prom first.;) You do have to promise to smack me upside the head, though, if you see me getting the bloodlust to ... peddle my book.
I'm gonna smack you up side the head if you don't get outta that van little missy. Ed, go to your room! We don't push our pa books in Vans, Rv's or on a Camel. This is for both of you, (smack):kiss: Now, I have to go:hi:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
robeiae said:
This sounds like the makings of a great slasher movie! Now who can we cast as the villian...hmmm...

Rob
Well, I like Bruce Willis, but you have to admit he'd make a great Curlem. I can see Christopher Walken in the Larry role. Moe-randa, now -- I'm stumped. I don't think someone like Angelina Jolie could really interpret the part, you know what I mean?

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Quote Ed Williams: Jean Marie is in a good place, she knows we would welcome her here with open arms, and she still has stature among the PA faithful. If I was her, I'd do exactly the same thing - speak my mind, and when PA drops the hammer re board participation, come right on over here and begin my true literary career.

Do you think she hasn't been banned yet because she actually has her books in a Borders and the stooges can say, "But look at Jean Marie. . ." when the media discusses lack of bookstore availability?

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
See, that's what I was thinking. Man, what an opportunity for PA to put their famous spin on bad news. "Bad motorcycle boys attack PA authors, kill customer! PA author fights back, refuses to let go of his book, loses arm and leg, but lives to write of his struggle against adversity! Only $25.95, it will resonate you all night long!"

EmoteROFL.gif
Emoterofl5.gif
Thanks, Sher2, & Dave, also! I needed to laugh on a Monday!
smile.gif

DeePower

Alert The Media Day About Publish America ain't over

It seems that the New York Times has a story scheduled for the next week to ten days that includes PublishAmerica. I talked with the reporter for over an hour. I don't think the PA camp will be a happy one.

Dee

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Ed Williams said:
The RV multi-author signing? I mean, think about it, a few RVs, some determined authors, and voila, you have a national RV park multi-author booksigning extravaganza!...
Or as one of the most enthusiastic of the current crop has it, wallah.

--Ken

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Memphis Ed, what I can't figure out is how they'll notify all those folks before their arrival that they have books to sell. Of course, I guess they could always park next to the roadside stand with all the black velvet Elvis portraits (or would that be Elvii?).

Dave-

I can tell you this....you put ANYTHING with Elvis' mug on it and it will sell. As an "out of the closet" Elvis guy, I can tell you honestly that I indeed have a black velvet Elvis picture hanging in my home and he is crying...a classic! My writing office has a bust of Elvis (I'm looking at it now), Graceland is a new sponsor of my talk radio show, and I give away Elvis stuff (provided by Elvis Presley Enterprises) to listeners. We are also discussing doing a live remote of my show during Elvis week in August, to which each of you is officially cordially invited. I wear Elvis underwear, Elvis socks, have an Elvis keychain, and consider references to Willy Nelson and Elvis in the same sentence offensive:)

I can also tell you this...if Elvis had written his autobiography with PA, he'd be on their doorstep with a gun when he found out how he'd been screwed.

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
DeePower said:
It seems that the New York Times has a story scheduled for the next week to ten days that includes PublishAmerica. I talked with the reporter for over an hour. I don't think the PA camp will be a happy one.

Dee
COOL!
emoteThumbs.gif
I hope you will post the link when it appears...

I can hear the shouting now all the way over here from the PAMB, and I can almost smell another "Bashing PA" Thread being started. They're just jealous! Those people just didn't read their contract...PA did everything it said it would do in my contract...blah blah blah, yada yada yada...
tongue.gif
Same old song...

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
ResearchGuy said:
Perhaps they could slip copies onto bookstore shelves. Sort of de-shoplifting.

I've heard of companies that have actually done this, just to get the book out there and create readers! I don't know if I heard correctly, if I'm thinking of record producers instead of publishers, if it's common (must be expen$ive), if this was done by major publishesr or only by small presses, and if it really happened. ;)

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Appeals to ego, appeals to vanity, appeals to greed, appeals to pride, appeals to sympathy, appeals to hope ... the folks running PA have a heady brew. I'm not going to blame their victims.

Point well made and accepted, Jim. However, if you've read my comments you know I'm one of the biggest advocates for the PA victims. But, I know for a fact, because they have told me through emails, that some are aware that they are supporting PA for reasons other than the ones you listed above. It boils down to just plain selfishness.

And quiet honestly, some having no confidence in their writing abilities, and rightfully so, have chose to support PA because they feel or know they will not be accepted otherwise.

I personally, would choose to stay un-published before going with anything other than a reputable publisher in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.