The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
Great Moogley Boogley...Editor schmeditor! I don't need a stinkin' one of those...or do I?:cool:

Scary thing, Nancy...Yesterday, I was working on a fantastic, Bestseller-type of manuscript (yea, right) and when I went to save it I realized that my spell checker picked up a "boo-boo du jour" and realized that I had spelled stupid (stipid).

Nice to know that AW has inflitrated the soul of my intellect...or lack thereof!
Now where's that blender...there's Margartias to be made!:hat:

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
The story of Atlanta Nights, (including the book itself, as a free download) can be found here. That's the short version. You can also try Travis Tea's official site at http://www.travistea.com for even more information.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
akaa1a said:
Scary thing, Nancy...Yesterday, I was working on a fantastic, Bestseller-type of manuscript (yea, right) and when I went to save it I realized that my spell checker picked up a "boo-boo du jour" and realized that I had spelled stupid (stipid).

Now THAT is too, too funny!

Wouldn't it be awful if we all started spelling words wrong based on some of the things we picked up from "somewhere else?"

Poetic justice, huh? :Smack:

Nancy

"Where are my green thingies?" :mad:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NancyMehl said:
"Where are my green thingies?" :mad:

I just bonked you for a nice post.

Go to your user cp, count the bonks, divide by 1,000, which gives you the number of blobs.

And yes, I'll still respect you. lol.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
reph said:
The little green thingies are wearing invisibility suits. Their story is at "Changes to rep system," here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Thanks, Reph.

Got through five pages worth of comments about the little green thingies. Didn't finish the five pages that were left.

Used to care.

Don't care anymore.

Sheesh. :Shrug:

Nancy

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
Let me preface this by saying that I haven't read this entire thread (quit booing, please? ;) ) and I have thankfully never fallen victim to PA (and never will, thanks to this wonderful MB). I noticed may PA authors saying that PA won't let them know how many books they've sold. Is it possible to obtain this number directly from their printer?

I don't know what Phase Two is, but I'm really glad I'll be on this end of it. Keep at 'em! :Clap:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Reph, I always feel proud when I know one of your usage/spelling tips. "Minuscule" I did not know. Thanks for fixing me!

Nancy: The long and short of it is that the blobs were getting too much attention, so they're invisible now. You can still see all the rep comments by clicking User CP.

Dolan: You have such an arresting personality. I hope your post does not give anyone cardiac arrest.

All: Hey! Don't forget that I'm gonna be on Memphis Ed's radio show tomorrow. :) I'll be on around 2:15 ET, which is 1:15 Central, right?

Ed, what's the site where they can listen in again? http://www.am990.com ?

And if he opens up the call lines, I'd love to chat with you. :)

Last edited:

ArynStephens

Registered
Reaction score
Sarashay said:
The story of Atlanta Nights, (including the book itself, as a free download) can be found here. That's the short version. You can also try Travis Tea's official site at http://www.travistea.com for even more information.

OK, thanks! I read the first page and that was all I needed to fall over !:roll:
So, where can I buy it? How much is it? Would Travis Tea autograph it for me?:eek:
1. Writing your own book on MS word..no dollars
2. Sweating for two weeks as you wait for the big news--no dollars
3. Being published by PA-- PAYLESS
(this message brought to you by PublishAmericanExpress, where you realize your dreams are really in someone else's pocket)

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
JennaGlatzer said:

All: Hey! Don't forget that I'm gonna be on Memphis Ed's radio show tomorrow. :) I'll be on around 2:15 ET, which is 3:15 Central, right?

Ed, what's the site where they can listen in again? http://www.am990.com ?

And if he opens up the call lines, I'd love to chat with you. :)

We'll open the chat lines for sure. But for those of you keeping score, 2:15 ET is actually closer to 1:15 CDT:)

But listen on in for the full show...we have a good time. Starts at noon CST.

Call number is 888-433-3215. Jenna is going to be a great interview and we'll be talking about a lot, including our ongoing PA stuggle, so you'll want to tune in.

If you happen to be in Memphis, we're on AM 990 and in Atlanta, AM 1340.

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
And things are heating up...

A published or soon to be published author said, on the PA message board:

P.A. has banned me from the Private Boards and it is only a short time before I am banned here as well.
Why?
Ask P.A.
Why have they banned Ken C, GG. Amber and now me?
We do not know why, but we see it happening!
We speak our mind? We question their professionalism? We wonder why they don't respond to their critics? We ask the tough questions that they do not want to answer!
Coward P.A., as you are and bann me and forever be sorry! I will be the success story for you that slipped away, while so many squander here with you'r poor judgement!

Farewell, before...PULL!

Handkerchief and Ciggarette...Please!

And from the same person...

Subject: GOD, oops, I meant PublishAmerica

Bann the people who ask questions about the scrutiny you have encountered. Let the fools post false accusations. Bann the good and allow the bad to continue to post nonsense.
You are not God and I am banned and so what?
PA, you are slipping into mediocrity and don't even recoginize it, I beleive it is time for a face lift in personel?
You'r present staff is failing!

Someone put on a pot of coffee and grab another chair.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hey, Memphis! Finally had a few minutes, and just listened to your radio interview with Georgia Ed--nice job!

With regards to the PAMB--whoa...poor guy sounds pissed!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Kevin! I've been waiting for him. Come over, friend. We'll help you let off some steam.

Ed: I am pathologically screwy when it comes to times and dates. Sorry about that. So, everyone listen in at the time Ed says. Pay no attention to me. ;)

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Chapters Not The Same As U.S. B&N

Gratian Gasparri said:
After the incident the other day with a PA author at my daughter's school fair, I decided to visit the Chapters at Rideau Center in Ottawa.

[just popping in to offer bookstore information]

You really can't use Chapters as a source to decide if a publisher is legit.

First off, Chapters has their own unique way of ordering books that makes publishers jump through hoops. They demand unfair discounts, and often order more books than they can sell. There are many small, perfectly legit, publishers that aren't stocked by Chapters. On a national level, my book won't be stocked by Chapters. It isn't the same as B&N in the US (where my book will be stocked).

[/resume writing]
Canada James

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Come on over, Kevin...

JennaGlatzer said:
Kevin! I've been waiting for him. Come over, friend. We'll help you let off some steam.

I had a feeling that Kevin would get fed up sooner or later with PA, and referring to PA as "God," well, you know he's at the end of his rope. Tonight he doesn't care if he gets banned, and by Monday, even if he has a change of heart, PA may show him the door. I'm not sure if Kev will grovel as some have to get back in PA's good graces. I guess time will tell.

This is what he said on the PAMB:

I'm posting here for the last time.....and thank you...and everyone else for your kindness, but PA, is turning into the Nazi Polize and soo I will be extinct. Still, you've warmed my heart and they can never take that from me!

Please join us, KEVIN! You'll like it here. You'll recognize many of us who have made the transition from PA to a better place. Bring Wooley, too!
biggrin.gif

Marlene
P.S. Your buddy Dazzlin' Dave has made an appearance, so you two can pick up your friendly feud here right where you left off. :banana:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm not even wagering a guess on Pacific time. ;) Ed?

Meanwhile, I shall try to further tempt Kevin with the punching bag I've just made for him. (Yes, you can all have turns with it.)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
P.S. Hi, Towerkel, and welcome! Yeah, we wish authors could get the sales numbers through the printer, but they can't. The printer's contract is with PA, not the authors, so they won't disclose anything to an author without a subpoena.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Ann said:
So, we are talking 11:15 PTfor Jenna's broadcast, for us on the west coast?

That would be correct. We are going to have some fun.

You get Ed and Jenna at brunch-time and Elvis at night. Squeeze in some Mother's Day celebration and you might have the perfect day.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Memphis Ed, like they have been....

Memphis Ed said:
Ed-This is pitiful. How do you think these fine folks felt when they saw this?
....literarily molested. In the end, that's exactly what PA does to authors, they literarily molest them...they molest their manuscripts, they molest their dreams, and they molest their money. I live to see them fail, if Jenna told me that mowing the White House lawn with my teeth would cause PA to go out of business, I would be sucking down some Zoysia right now....

P.S. Buddy, I'll be tuned in for you and Jenna tomorrow, y'all give PA some good commercial broadcasting PR, ya hear?

Last edited:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
P.A. bans those who don't put on the happy face in their name.

They don't want the newbies informed until after they buy books.

Glug, glug, glug. Abandon ship whoooppp whooop < (emergency siren) Whooop, abandon ship. Women and authors last. Step in the life boat Mr. M. Mr. C. and 'um you too ma'am-sir. Lower away. Oops, the rope broke. Spaaaalash.
Move along folks, get in this boat. Yes this boat is safe, look at the name on the side. The SSAW. Whoop whoop whoop. Going down fast. 365-364-363.....

Last edited:

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
I just made an excusion into land of Poz. I almost didn't make it out alive--I think I ruptured something while laughing at SOoTy's new photo...

My copy of Ten Percent of Nothing arrived yesterday, and I'm about halfway through it. Oh, man. One thing that really stood out was how Deering, et. al. treated unhappy authors like unruly children. Patronizing, insulting, and lying shamelessly at every turn--it would be unbelievable if I hadn't been following this whole debacle. There have been a couple of moments where I have actually exclaimed aloud, "Hey! That's PA!"

And many authors put up with being ripped off, strung along, and treated badly for as long as they did because they didn't want to anger those with control over their books. They didn't want to be seen as troublemakers, or unreasonable. Most probably had no idea what to expect in the business relationship with their "agent" or the vanity presses she sold them to, so they accepted the role of subordinate partner.

If you haven't read it, do so--I'm glad I finally listened to Jenna and Uncle Jim and everyone else who has recommended it.

Anyway, I hope Kevin makes it over here soon. I wanted to say hello to everyone who has shown up in the last few days. It's always so amazing to see someone from the PA boards show up over here--so welcome!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
JennaGlatzer said:
Just to let you know, The Magnificent Dawno and I have chosen our top 10 Atlanta Nights covers, and they're now up for a vote here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12146

If you do not like the options, it's Dawno's fault.

Also, the common cold? All Dawno's fault.

:faint: Wait, there were common colds before July 23, 1957!!! That doesn't count!

Status
Not open for further replies.