The Bouncy Castle in Space

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, it's the fourth week of school and we've already had to call CPS on a family...

Actually, it was the older brother's teacher who called. Dad wasn't getting the boys to school on time, wasn't sending them with lunch, and the boys couldn't remember the last time they saw mom. So now that the CPS worker has contacted the family and interviewed the kids, guess who's hopping mad? So now I get to sit down for a very uncomfortable meeting with Mom and the other teacher... Haven't heard anything from Dad yet, but I suppose he'll be along, sooner or later, if the second grader can wake him up.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
The problem with all these great stories some humorous, some sad, ad few a bit of both. Is that they are so out there, if you wrote them into your manuscripts (unless you did it with much skill) is no one would find them believable!

Still, I think they are great fodder for your writing!

I actually had a another little breakthrough last night. But not on my current WIP, it was on Girl Bite, which I've been struggling with for about two years now.

I was in bed thinking why isn't this book clicking and I had no idea, so I thought, what book do I want it to be like? Star Girl, but with Vampires.

As soon as I read the first page I realized what my book was missing, that sense of mystery and teenage wonderment that says with you throughout ( Spinelli's) enter book.

That was 1am, I rewrote until 4:30 is morning.

I guess the point of all that is to say:
Thank you kidlit crew for turning me onto Spinelli and that you all owe me 4 hours of sleep ;-)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
hee, hee. Mike, if you think four hours of missed sleep is all you're going to have to deal with, good luck.

I agree, though, that Spinelli has a brain I'd love to pick.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Glad you unlocked an important door, Mike!

I'm back after surviving my crazy playwriting weekend. The first night I wrote a play about a fairy-godfather training school, and the second night I wrote a play about the slut shaming of Kristen Stewart - so I think it's safe to say my time in the MG/YA trenches has had an impact on my playwriting. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to work extra early, but I am one of those people who is delirious before the coffee kicks in. I thought I had packed a green plum in my lunchbox...but it was an heirloom tomato. SIGH. I also locked myself out of the apartment by forgetting my keys. And then, unrelated to my delirium, my bike tire went flat while I was at work and I had to take the subway home.

But the landlady did not yell at me, and I talked to an actual normal person on the subway and compared notes on bike commuting. Usually if anyone on the subway tries to strike up a convo it's a bad sign. So I will call it a victory!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's see...

So, after 12 years, I had to go off my arthritis meds because they were messing up my stomach. Stomach is now fine. The rest of the body, though...is going through withdrawal, apparently. Since the meds suppressed the immune system, my body is now reacting as though I'm sick, even though I'm not. Random aches, stiffness and low-grade fevers. Just what I needed for Back to School!

Meanwhile I'm wondering why the HELL I volunteered to take the K/1 combo again this year. Kinders can be a royal pain in the ass! I've got a biter and a shrieker and a back-talker... Charming.

But the sun is shining and I have Tahitian Vanilla Milk-chocolate Caramels from Trader Joes. (which no longer give me heartburn, now that my stomach is okay.) So maybe I'll make it to the weekend in one piece.

Plus I had a little breakthrough in trying to re-plot Agatha, the first Aha! moment in weeks, so I might be starting to recover.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Judy, I hope your aches and pains are cured by caramels. That would be nice. And I'm sorry about the unruly kinders. Yay for Aha! moments.

I'm out of coffee.

Eek.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Judy - so sorry to hear of your troubles. Having severe RA, I don't know how anyone holds down a full-time job with it, let alone one that involves as much stress and physical activity as teaching young children.

But I wish I had known caramel would help. Sure would prefer it over being shot full of chemicals every week.

Of course, after the dentist office today, I can't eat caramels, even when there is a bag full in the kitchen cabinet that I caught my husband hiding a few days ago.

Hope the kids settle down soon. I can tolerate the mouth, but not when they bite.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, hope you feel better soon, Judy.

Mine are biters and shriekers too. Most of them aren't verbal enough to backtalk. They are awfully cute, though.

One of them wanted to get on the swing, but a classmate was already on it. So he ran and got the timer and held it up to the swing, thus proving that he *does* understand what it means when we set the timer for him to transition to a new activity.

Another kiddo wrapped himself up in a purple pressure band (a stretchy nylon fabric we put around them for sensory support.) He pulled it over his head like a hood, and down around his feet, and shuffled around like a purple Yoda. It was pretty adorable.

Yesterday my school had a huge to-do to commemorate 9-11. There were a bunch of firefighters, and police officers, and singers, and special guests, and it was in a crowded, noisy gym--not the best setting for my little guys. We scoped it out in advance and found a good, out-of-the-way (we thought) spot near the doors where we could escape quickly if the need arose. As we all sat down with the kids on the floor, I noticed an odd-looking circular golden thing with a hole in it and thought, "What's that? It wasn't here before." Then the assembly began with a very formal procession of flagbearers who walked STRAIGHT OVER TO US and started trying to insert the flag into the circular golden thing, which was, of course, the flag stand. And everyone in the auditorium stood and turned to face the flag (and us), and there were my kids--stimming and rocking and vocalizing, and just generally being themselves. So much for being inconspicuous. :D But, you know, it was fine. They are just as much a part of our school community as anyone, and they have just as much right to be there, and if anyone makes a negative comment, that's exactly what I'll tell them.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's see...

So, after 12 years, I had to go off my arthritis meds because they were messing up my stomach. Stomach is now fine. The rest of the body, though...is going through withdrawal, apparently. Since the meds suppressed the immune system, my body is now reacting as though I'm sick, even though I'm not. Random aches, stiffness and low-grade fevers. Just what I needed for Back to School!

Meanwhile I'm wondering why the HELL I volunteered to take the K/1 combo again this year. Kinders can be a royal pain in the ass! I've got a biter and a shrieker and a back-talker... Charming.

But the sun is shining and I have Tahitian Vanilla Milk-chocolate Caramels from Trader Joes. (which no longer give me heartburn, now that my stomach is okay.) So maybe I'll make it to the weekend in one piece.

Plus I had a little breakthrough in trying to re-plot Agatha, the first Aha! moment in weeks, so I might be starting to recover.

Are you sure it's not the herds of snotty children? I use so much Purell it's a wonder my hands haven't dried up and fallen off.

Ugh, hope you feel better soon, Judy.

Mine are biters and shriekers too. Most of them aren't verbal enough to backtalk. They are awfully cute, though.

Yesterday my school had a huge to-do to commemorate 9-11. There were a bunch of firefighters, and police officers, and singers, and special guests, and it was in a crowded, noisy gym--not the best setting for my little guys. We scoped it out in advance and found a good, out-of-the-way (we thought) spot near the doors where we could escape quickly if the need arose. As we all sat down with the kids on the floor, I noticed an odd-looking circular golden thing with a hole in it and thought, "What's that? It wasn't here before." Then the assembly began with a very formal procession of flagbearers who walked STRAIGHT OVER TO US and started trying to insert the flag into the circular golden thing, which was, of course, the flag stand. And everyone in the auditorium stood and turned to face the flag (and us), and there were my kids--stimming and rocking and vocalizing, and just generally being themselves. So much for being inconspicuous. :D But, you know, it was fine. They are just as much a part of our school community as anyone, and they have just as much right to be there, and if anyone makes a negative comment, that's exactly what I'll tell them.

I love it! Sounds like quite a party :)

I spent the day dealing with cryers and liars. Whew! I hate dodgeball. Why does the puniest child always get hit in the face??? The only two children in the class who can barely keep their own feet underneath them at the best of times, one with glasses, and one with braces, both got nicely beaned in the face today. The funniest/saddest was when victim #1 sadly offered her ice pack to a weeping victim #2.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely refuse to teach dodgeball. Cause you know I was the kid with 1)glasses and 2)braces. Plus I skipped 3rd grade so I was a year younger than everybody. Plus I'm short and hideously uncoordinated.

To me, dodgeball was invented by the same guy who designed the Iron Maiden and the Rack.

There's a special place in Hell for him.

(and thanks for the good wishes, everybody. I got through today without a nap as soon as I got home, so that's a good sign.)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Dodgeball!!! What a sadistic game. I will never forget first grade when sweet Mrs. Miller (my arthritic, white-haired, glasses-clad) favorite teacher ever) got slammed in the face. A ring of silent, terrified children held our collective breath while she put herself back together and told us to continue with the game.

For some reason, looking back, it seems like we were all rather big and strong for first graders.

But my reason for posting was to announce that there's a big giveaway going on over at the Euterpe imprint, and today I am featured with a chance for a free copy of my ebook, Michaela's Gift, and a small school-themed prize pack I put together, including glitter glue, and gel pens (thanks for the suggestions) and other items.

If anyone wants the link, just let me know.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Best wishes, get wells and well dones to those who are needing them. (Yes, I'm too lazy to quote anyone today and do the 'personal touch' best wishes, get wells and well dones ;) )

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I thought dodgeball was illegal now. If it isn't, it should be. I still remember the girl in my fifth grade who got hit in the head with a ball thrown by a big, husky boy. She got a bad concussion and was out of school for weeks.

Me, I just cowered in the back of the gym, hiding behind my braver friends.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought dodgeball was illegal now. If it isn't, it should be. I still remember the girl in my fifth grade who got hit in the head with a ball thrown by a big, husky boy. She got a bad concussion and was out of school for weeks.

Me, I just cowered in the back of the gym, hiding behind my braver friends.

its not illegal, but there has been a big backlash against it recently. it is a cruel sport, but it is also a lousy PE activity because uncoordinated kids spend less time playing than athletic kids. thats like not letting lousy readers have as much reading time as good readers.

i think the adults who like it were the kids who were good at playing it as children.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I had two appointments: eye doctor and dentist. The eye doctor didn't tell me he was going to dilate my eyes, and of course the sun was glaring, so I left his office nearly blind.

Drove to the dentist and discovered I needed two fillings. I hate dentist shots, but he said I'd prefer them to doing it without them. So I left his office blind and drooling.

But I made it home, only to find out my husband ordered the wrong dishwasher! Now I have an appliance I don't want in the middle of my kitchen, and a sore jaw.

but my teeth are no longer sensitive.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I had two appointments: eye doctor and dentist. The eye doctor didn't tell me he was going to dilate my eyes, and of course the sun was glaring, so I left his office nearly blind.

Drove to the dentist and discovered I needed two fillings. I hate dentist shots, but he said I'd prefer them to doing it without them. So I left his office blind and drooling.

But I made it home, only to find out my husband ordered the wrong dishwasher! Now I have an appliance I don't want in the middle of my kitchen, and a sore jaw.

but my teeth are no longer sensitive.

Yeesh!

*hands over all the chocolate cupcakes*

I am exhausted! My day, in rough order: First graders running amok, second graders cultivating bad attitudes, literate kindergartners ridiculing illiterate kindergartners because none of them have learned to be nice yet, fifth graders being cute, and finally picking up a pile of sweet new books at the library.

*sleeps*

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
It's odd reading about all these kinders being so cruel. For many years I have volunteered in the kindergarten classes at my kids' schools, even long after they left the kinder class. I've seen kids way too knowledgeable about things they shouldn't know, but for the most part I've seen happy, fairly kind-hearted kiddos.

Not a good sign.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I remember being terrified of my teacher in reception (first class of primary school). She yelled a lot, especially when I had accidents. :(

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
All I remember about kindergarten (except for watching a girl pick her nose and then - shudder never mind, was after I got out of the hospital with a kidney infection. The teacher knew I was still ill and allowed me to leave the room for the bathroom whenever I needed to. We had a sub, and when I got up to leave during story time, she grabbed my arm and told me to sit back down. Wouldn't listen to me or the other kids when we tried to explain.

Of course, I wet my pants, and got sent home. I remember my mom helping me clean up and then marching me back to the school, where she had a very interesting confrontation with said sub.

Funny how things like that stick with you.

But I was NEVER afraid of any of my teachers. Even my second grade teacher, who spanked Cassie - the little red-haired tyrant - when she deliberately killed all the guppies. I'm convinced we all knew Cassie had been deserving a spanking for a looooonnnggg time, and that was the final straw.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been around, peeps. September has been a horrible month. I'd totally be up for a game of dodgeball, though. I'd either get some aggression out... or be knocked unconcious. I'm not sure which sounds better...

Maybe I'll just bounce. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's odd reading about all these kinders being so cruel. For many years I have volunteered in the kindergarten classes at my kids' schools, even long after they left the kinder class. I've seen kids way too knowledgeable about things they shouldn't know, but for the most part I've seen happy, fairly kind-hearted kiddos.

Not a good sign.

There's a big difference between the beginning of the year and a few months from now when the kids have had experience being at school explicit training on how to be a nice friend/socialized student. For most of the kids it's the most intense socializing they've ever done. They're still selfish little critters because they haven't yet been asked to be anything else. They're cute though.