The Bouncy Castle in Space

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the size of the bunny. We have one that bites, but he's so small it doesn't hurt. Poor rabbit looks really offended that the kids laugh if he bites them. But, their friend has a Flemish Giant, and yes, those things can bite.

And yes, the nails can scratch you pretty badly. That's why at 4H they have rules about wearing long sleeves.

Still, there's no venom. ;)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow is my first day of substitute teaching, ever! First grade, and a bit of kindergarten too. Eep! Send thoughts of well behaved children my way!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Ph2R-4WXo&feature=em-uploademail-new

This is a video of my brother's cat, Billie. He always has a look on his face that says, "You better not mess with me," but he has the best disposition. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

Oh, snap! I didn't mean to post this here, I meant it for the Bouncy Castle. Sorry about that.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lunch break. all is well so far, aside from the lice outbreak in my room. at least i missed yesterday's Great Glitter Debacle.

eta: no injuries, all work done, all homework taken home. victory!

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Fun at school today--SF Opera Guild came to perform Pirates of Penzance. My kinders were front row center, pirate swords almost touching their noses. Much excitement. Though to be honest, most of them were much more scared of the Big Kiss than of the pirates...

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am happy to report that the big horrible essay that nearly killed me...I passed! Woo woo! And I just started math tutoring a kid in my chess club who has been weirdly failing much of his schoolwork and confusing his parents and teachers. Normally he drifts through the school day like a space cadet, but he's just started paying attention and taking responsibility for things on his own. And today he totally demolished another kid in chess, twice in a row. He never wins, ever. I don't know what's going on but it's good :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the passing of the test, Kitty! That's always great news.

Just had teacher conferences. He has 5 A's and 2 B's, and he's really improving on remembering to raise his hand and not call out the answers.

That's great to hear, after Friday, when they called me to come get him because he said he'd sometimes like to just kill himself. I'm so tired of the bullying, and they just "can't seem to get it under control."

I know teachers are wonderful people and I am so thankful to them for the work they do, but I'd love to rip hair out of some of those kids at times. And their parents.

Sorry for the rant.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the passing of the test, Kitty! That's always great news.

Just had teacher conferences. He has 5 A's and 2 B's, and he's really improving on remembering to raise his hand and not call out the answers.

That's great to hear, after Friday, when they called me to come get him because he said he'd sometimes like to just kill himself. I'm so tired of the bullying, and they just "can't seem to get it under control."

I know teachers are wonderful people and I am so thankful to them for the work they do, but I'd love to rip hair out of some of those kids at times. And their parents.

Sorry for the rant.

Yay for grades! Sorry about bullying. That really sucks. I don't have anything more clever to say about it than that.

I forgot to add in my earlier post: today the kindergartners were coming up with words that started with "F". One little girl suggested "fuckin". The teacher didn't even blink, she just said, "What did you say?" and then when she said it again the teacher said, "I'm sorry, I don't know that word. Does anyone else have a word?" I was in the back of the room dying, and the teacher was too smart to make eye contact with me. In the kid's defense, it does start with F, and for all she knows it's an adjective that means "lousy driver".

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Kitty. That was exactly what I needed at this time. Sometimes I can keep a straight face, but sometimes I have to get out fast.

And I shouldn't have said those ugly things earlier. Actually, I've known all these kids since before kindergarten, and I love every one of them. I've spent many hours in the classroom and on field trips with them, and lunch in the cafeteria, or sometimes we'd sneak back to the classroom and then I'd be the fall guy when the teacher got irritated.

I guess their world is just so different from the one I grew up in, and the frustration gets to me.

But I really appreciate your story. It put things in perspective.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a new student. Transferred from the local Catholic school. He told me on day one, "They didn't know how to teach me because sometimes I don't listen."

Translation: another kid on the autism spectrum.

Poor nuns didn't have a clue, I guess.

So now the first grade half of my class is pretty freakin' hilarious. 13 kids total: 1 boy with autism (plus another mainstreamed for half the day.) 3 kids with ADD/ADHD (one also has a visual processing disorder.) 3 kids still learning English. 1 boy with a speech/language delay, currently being assessed for learning disorders. And the rest are just plain squirrelly.

And no, I don't teach special ed.

Math is especially hilarious. 8 + 1 = 2...?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thursday everyone!

Sissy - I want Billie! What an amazingly docile cat. And so cute. I try to clip my cat nails and I can usually only do one before he bites me. Sorry to hear about the bullies, tho. Arg.

Way to go on the essay, Kitty!

Judy, I'm in awe of your teaching prowess. One of my sons was in a private Catholic school for Kindergarten. At 5 years old he was an extreme worrier. He had a horrible year, never wanting to go to school. They couldn't handle a kid who was outside the spectrum. The next year he had a great teacher, wasn't bored, and the worrying subsided.

I'm struggling with some world building elements of my story, so I found this quote helpful:

"This is the extraordinary thing about creativity: If you keep your mind resting against the subject in a friendly but persistent way, sooner or later you will get a reward from your unconscious." - John Cleese.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did everyone survive the weekend? I went to the beach, and worked on my Halloween costume. Also I have a coconut cupcake.

At the beginning of the month I started math tutoring a kid who is in the process of being assessed for a learning disability because he is failing math quite badly despite being seemingly competent. I heard that on Friday, for the first time in over a year, he finished his in-class math assignment in class. Baby steps, I know, but I'm still very enthused.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I worked on progress reports ALL DAY on Saturday. :gaah

But on Sunday I went to the Apple Butter Festival in Kimmswick, a quaint, historic town 25 miles south of here. Folk music ... crafts ... apple butter brats & cream of spinach soup from The Blue Owl Restaurant. I bought apple butter (of course), pumpkin butter, fudge, and a tote bag. I want to go back some time when there's nothing happening to walk around and look at the old houses and browse the antique shops.

Good job with the math student, Kitty! Those little successes make it all worthwhile.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm bouncing a bit. :)

Today I posted my new query on SYW and two of my favorite members said it worked for them. I'm fine with getting other opinions, but at least I know that if you guys liked it, whatever anyone else says, and whatever fine tuning I need to do, it doesn't suck. :)

I just posted back there again, pointing out the sentence that I think might be problematic. If anyone feels like taking a look and commenting, I'd really love more opinions.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Halfway done with my new editing of my Billy story. The time away has definitely improved my writing/editing. It's incredible the things you thought were "strong" in your earlier drafts and now you sit here, scratching your head, wondering why you ever described a tree for five pages.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Not that bouncy today ... but excited for tomorrow. What kind of Halloween plans does everyone have? My six year old is going to be a peacock fairy and my two year old is a lion. Husband is Skippyjon Jones. I didn't get around to a costume for me.

And was anyone hit by the hurricane?

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Joy, a peacock fairy sounds adorable, as does a 2-year-old lion. I'm just having a little trouble picturing an adult male SkippyJon Jones...

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that bouncy today ... but excited for tomorrow. What kind of Halloween plans does everyone have? My six year old is going to be a peacock fairy and my two year old is a lion. Husband is Skippyjon Jones. I didn't get around to a costume for me.

And was anyone hit by the hurricane?

Joy, a peacock fairy sounds adorable, as does a 2-year-old lion. I'm just having a little trouble picturing an adult male SkippyJon Jones...

Those all sound amazing! Grown-up dressed as SkippyJon Jones: http://mommypoppins.com/newyorkcity...-free-nyc-kids-lucille-lortel-theaterworksusa

I have tomorrow off, and my sweetie and I are dressing up as Wreck It Ralph and Fix It Felix.

Student teaching in math went well today. aNd I got to read How To Eat Fried Worms to the class today, hurray :) Well, I am easily amused.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Ruth, we're not going full-on cat suit, but I think we got the Skippyjon flavor. :)

DSC_0008-3.jpg

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, poor Smish. Going as a lawyer, yet again.

Oh, Kitty - I do hope you post pictures like last year. That sounds hilarious!

Joy, you definitely have the flavor. I can picture him saying, "Skippito Bandito."

My boys are in the "It has to be all black" costume phase, which is just great for trick or treating at night (sigh).