On which side do straight guys wear earrings?

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's my question. Obviously my google skills aren't that great cause i couldn't find the answer. which side?

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
It is my understanding that straight guys wear it on the left. But since I don't wear one, better get some confirmation on that.

Richard

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I googled and found lots of information that states it's impossible to tell. Apparently, there's no set 'form' because the fashion of having an earring is a personal choice.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Put it in his nose. If he's straight why not say so?
Oh, and you don't even want to get into the hanky and key symbolism.
C

Last edited:

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
The story as I know it is that ancient sailors wore the earring in the left ear to honor the gods while rounding Cape Horn. You always round Cape Horn from West to East. Captain Bligh tried it from East to West and he got a mutiny for his effort.

Richard

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
If you are talking present times, it doesn't matter. A lot of straight guys wear them in both, though the fashion these days is more spacers than earrings. A spacer is where a small hole is gradually teased into a large hole, much in the style of a certain African tribe whose name escapes me.

In the past, it used to be the left side.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
A couple decades ago, I heard a little ditty about guys wearing an earring: "Left is right and right is wrong."

Left being "right" meant the guy was hetero. An earring in the right ear was wrong because the guy was gay, and certainly being gay was wrong. Of course that was before more social enlightenment.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I knew a guy that wore a small block Chevy engine in his ear. You didn't tell him which was the right one. :)

Honestly though, I heard the earing was originally a gold ring. It was started by sailors, the premise being, if they died at sea the man that brought back their body got to keep the earing. I don't know which side or for what reason but the left certainly stands out.

Deleted member 42

Left is Right Right is Wrong, if you're thinking het

Het guys wear it on the Left

Does this mean the hanky code is coming back?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
All of that 'left side,' 'right side' is just so 1980s. Guys wear earrings on one side or the other, or even in both ears and it doesn't matter if they are straight or gay.

Deleted member 42

Hanky codes were, and sometimes, still are a signaling system used in gay bars, though it's a lot less common--and it always led to ah, problems, given local dialect differences.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
A couple decades ago, I heard a little ditty about guys wearing an earring: "Left is right and right is wrong."

Left being "right" meant the guy was hetero. An earring in the right ear was wrong because the guy was gay, and certainly being gay was wrong. Of course that was before more social enlightenment.

It may be so eighties, but it's what some of us remember as the norm.

And I'm adding my two cents that I think a single earring is hawt!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, traditionally it's the left side for straight guys. Still is, but it doesn't matter as much as it probably used to.

My (straight) friend just got his right ear pierced, thinking it was the "correct" one. He got home and his (gay) roommate informed him of the mistake. It just happens his roommate's left ear is pierced. My friend decided he didn't care. They're a bit of an odd pair.

I have both ears pierced, but twice on the left lobe.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
This takes me back to a conversation I had with my mother about guys with pierced ears.

We were talking about the left being 'straight' and right being 'wrong' so I asked what it meant if both ears were pierced.

So told me it mean 'bisexual' and then had to explain this strange concept.

of course,nobody was really thrilled when I became a big fan of the Bajoran culture system as part of my Trekdom. As part of this, I began wearing a Djarra earring - which is traditionally worn in the right ear. Boy did I throw off a lot of people by getting a right ear pierced in order to wear this jewelry.

Nowadays it doesn't seem to matter at all which side is pierced...though, I still mostly see the left pierced in guys that have a single piercing.

Rabe...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
We were talking about the left being 'straight' and right being 'wrong' so I asked what it meant if both ears were pierced.

So told me it mean 'bisexual' and then had to explain this strange concept.

Hehe. Makes sense to me. I'd say I'm about 2/3 straight.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no earrings, which means - clearly - that I'm a eunuch.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you remember the Two and a Half Men episode when Allen got his right ear pierced and Charlie said, "By the way, that's the gay ear you know."

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 80s, the local jingle went "right is gay, left okay." Nowadays I don't think it really matters that much. Most guys with piercings seem to have both ears done, at least that I've noticed.

Spacers creep me out. I don't like being able to see through someone's body part and out the other side, apparently. I can't even look at guys with those things in.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Hmm...My husband has both ears pierced and he is defiantly NOT bi. Not that he thinks that there's anything wrong with that, it just makes him ill to think about a man sexually, lol.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In the 1980s in the US, most straight men who wore one earring chose to wear it on the left side, and most gay men who wore one earring chose to wear it on the right side.

Since the 1990s, very few people follow that code. Ice-T, /Sean John Puff Daddy P. Diddy Diddy Combs/, Snoop Dogg, Kid Rock, Eminem, and millions of other flaming heterosexual guys wear earrings in both ears.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
people pierce everything these days, as if their heads were pincushions or something.
Does look good on some people, though, I must say.

Deleted member 42

Just to make absolutely sure no one thinks I'm a straight guy, I have both ears pierced.

Just sayin'