Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, I would totally pay into that. I have a small hole in my lone bathing suit, but I dread replacing it.

For serious, someone could make money doing this. Rent the limo, with a wet bar rolled into the price each person pays, and maybe even a personal shopper. I dunno, counselors might be expensive, so maybe end with a boozy lunch out in which everyone hears what a wise purchase she made?

I swear, shopping with The Kid is so much better than shopping alone. She would convince me it wasn't my hideous body but the cut of the clothes I was trying on. I don't seem to be able to do that for myself.

Maryn, star of the grotesquerie

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have officially purchased stock art and got the ball rolling on my cover design. Should have the finished product in less than 2 weeks.

I'm really doing this.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yay, Tas! I'm super excited to read it and see the cover!

Ugh, shopping. Yeah, I had a "fat" day yesterday, too. It's apparently turning into a "fat" week, because it's definitely lingering.

Oh and they yanked the console out of the car, took the stereo, ripped off the plates, stole the pistons the trunk sits on etc. etc. and it's not even starting right now because they yanked out the ignition.

Also, my brother got married today. To which I obviously can't go, because I'm poor and haven't been able to see my family since summer of 2012. But it's not like they seem to be giving a crap anyway, really, so I'm not sure why I even bother feeling disappointed.

Ugh, yeah, just give me booze and a hole to curl up into.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here we go, I'll put on my sleeve garters and mix you up something from the special stock behind the bar. We'll get the Purgatory booth, the one in the back, and put candles out, and tell each other funny stories until the world seems okay again.

Maryn, who can work magic like that

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ahem. I am 53 years old now and I am making a life resolution:

I am never ever under any circumstances reading any Russian fiction again.

EVER.

I'm off now to go look at bunnies and puppies and rainbows till the suicidal depression goes away. :Headbang:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That seems perfectly reasonable to me, Lily. By a certain age, we have only to look at real lives of those we know if we want to feel gloom and despair. I very much prefer escapist material.

Maryn, who turned in her edits last night

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saved a bull frog tadpole on lunch today. There is a pond across the street from work and I walked over there and found that it had gotten caught on debris. So I stepped down almost in the water scooped it up and relocated it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations and thanks from the greater frog community. I hope you can share more about the medicine man stuff. I know almost nothing of it, and that probably crazy-wrong, since it's from movies.

What's a shame is that there was debris trapping the tadpole--unless it was mother nature's debris rather than human. I guess I'm okay with that.

One good thing about the hard winter is that the snow covered up the litter. Now that it's gone, seems like there's fast food wrappers and coffee cups everywhere you turn.

Maryn, who does not litter

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I can share I will... The tadpole was stuck on top of nature's debris that was stuck on man made debris. Made me angry. The tadpole had tried to swim over all of it and gotten stuck.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's just a little tadpole, not old enough to be wary of garbage. Please don't me mad at him! ;)

Maryn, who has a pewter tadpole around here somewhere

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, well, I slept so long it's now afternoon, all!

Exhausting week much?

But we ended it by watching Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope on laser disk at a friend's for her housewarming last night. Lots of fun and ohh, look! Pre-digital age material!

I'm declaring today nerdy PJ day (I'm wearing Doctor Who PJ pants) and shall be playing around with Photoshop since I have to finalize a t-shirt design for our meetup group.

Also, I've given up on Russian fiction ever since one of my profs made me read Stolzhenitsyn's The Gulag. That said, I'm reading Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers right now for my school district's novel committee. It's about the Indian slums. Cheerful.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
dys, ugh of the grim reading. this is why I read and write light escapist stuff. A little humor, a little romance, a little adventure. Bring it to the beach and you won't want to leap into the surf and swim till you can't be rescued.

It is miserably cold here. 48 and cloudy. The rain finally stopped a few hours ago so I could vacuum and clean my car for the Maryland trip. I'm on the couch under a blanket right now. Where the heck is spring?!

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, I find it mildly ironic that I just ordered a bathing suit (pin up!) and palazzo pants on Nomorerack and am eyeing a pair of red sandals in anticipation of my AZ trip in June... Chilly and rainy here at 43F. Brrr.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
As part of my detox from Russian lit, I read Spiritual Police by Youka Nitta. Thought it was an angsty cop manga. It's actually a sexually explicit angsty cop manga. :eek: My favorite part was the apparent attempt to avoid an extra-bold warning on the cover by drawing the "explicit" part of foreplay as white image against a hand. :tongue

However, it was really well done and I liked the characters a lot. Going to buy vol. 2 when it's translated.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who has an offspring who is being published POD with a small publisher that P&E does not recommend. Don't want to say too many details though. Maybe this is a rant, I just tried really hard today to correct the mother's erroneous information but failed so it's on my mind. The mother is pretty misinformed about pretty much everything I can think of when it comes to the publishing world, and has zero interest in my providing any actual good information for her; such as her vehement declaration that P&E was a crank website - won't listen to me when I try to guide her to actual solid resources. I gave up when she declared her darling to be "the one that could put them on the map". I don't like it - but I guess sometimes you just have to stand behind the caution tape. Maybe a tiny part of me envies the kid - my parents never believed I would amount to anything but working at Goodwill for $3/hr and she believes her offspring will make the small press famous. I'm not slagging on the press, but I am slagging on all of the awful misinformed opinions the woman has, and how frustrated I am with my inability to fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.