Status
Not open for further replies.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! Look at this...

Lesl1e Wright writing as Elle Wr1ght's three books in a sexy, new African-American contemporary romance series, to Lat0ya Sm1th at Grand Centra1 Forever, by Sara Cam1lli1 at The Sara Cam1ll1 Agency (World).

YAY!!!! I'm floating!!! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Aaaaahhh! Congratulations, LadyLex! That is amazing news!!!!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Huge congrats, Lady Lex!!!

And good luck Joy and everyone else biting their nails on sub :)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
So what's the deal on how much we can/should post here? I know in general you're not supposed to talk about being on sub. But it pretty much okay here? Is the general idea not to give specifics, but okay to say "heard this from Editor X", etc?

I'm not says I have capital N News, but I might have lower case n news. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Joy, agents and editors read these boards. Some are members here. Everything in the non-password protected sections of AW is publicly searchable. So, just like you wouldn't Tweet "Yes! Editor [Name] is giving me a second read!", it shouldn't go here either.

That's why you'll see someone post "I have news!" And lots of us will ask for reps. Reps are private and are not searchable.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, well I wasn't going to post too much more but now I have a question about the process. An editor loves my book, but my agent says the editor "has it with book clubs now to get their take." I have never heard of this step! Book clubs? It's middle grade, so does this mean groups of kids? Or, if not, are these publishing people? Non-publishing people? I'm so curious! If anyone has any experience with this step of the process, I'd love to hear it!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm...well...I guess when it's over, I'll have some new knowledge to share with the group!

ETA: So I heard from a CP who knows! This is standard procedure at SK0LAST1C. (Did I do that right?) They send every acquisition through this book club process, even with established authors and it can take a loooong time. So I won't hold my breath. Still: yay!

Last edited:

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this forum is very aptly named - it IS hell! My agent started submissions 2 days ago and sent me the list of 15 targets. Now I've been obsessively googling them all, and getting depressed by how few books each takes on - just a couple of a year. And what are the chances that one would be mine? So low, it seems.

I feel like those 15 strangers have my fate in their hands - it's a scary thought.

Hugs to all who are going through the same thing.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I feel like those 15 strangers have my fate in their hands - it's a scary thought.

There will, or should, be a lot more than 15 publishers when the dust settles. Think happy thoughts like "second and third rounds. Even if your agent drops it after 15, go Guerrilla Warfare and sub that puppy out yourself. Hit your advance/distribution-qualified publishers first (top of the tier) and work your way down.

Got An Agent? Why Not Double-Tap?

http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/2012/12/got-agent-why-not-double-tap.html

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Triceretops - good advice, but for later…. For now I'll just wallow in my agony and anxiety :)

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Another near miss. Jeez...kinda miss the days of form rejections from agents. These detailed passes are brutal.

Oh well... time for chocolate. :e2bike2:

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Thanks Quickbread. :) With the RT Convention next week (and a multi-author boxed set releasing a couple of weeks after that), I'm going to be crazy busy...nice distractions, but hopefully we'll get something ironed out soon. And honestly, it really is very flattering to have these top notch editors love my work.

Staying positive. :)

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
((((HUGS)))) Mandy! I wanted to go to RT Con, but couldn't make it work this year. Have fun!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Mandy. Close calls bother me a lot more than forms too. :(

My agent emailed me yesterday to let me know she's halfway through my new book and is really enjoying it. She said she'll be in touch once she's done with the comments. I was SO relieved to hear that I almost started crying. :D Paws crossed she enjoys the second half as well! >_<"

Status
Not open for further replies.