Not open for further replies.

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Congrats Fuschia!

Still silence here. Well, other than a request from a website to be a part of an article they're publishing on Mother's Day. I sent out another query today, but looks like the agent is a notorious non-responder (even though it says on their website they respond to everything).
I tweaked the shizz out of my back this morning, so I've been miserable and immobile all day. Not fun for someone with two small kids. Also not good because we're checking in to Great Wolf Lodge tomorrow (indoor water park) so my back needs to stop being an a-hole and return to normal. Sigh.

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
WendyN - Wendy, I know this isn't something I hadn't thought about, but hearing you saying it just gave me two good ideas to add to chapter one, one of which is going to come in handy even later in the story. So, thank you so much. <3 :)

Antonin - Yeah, I think I have a better beginning this way. If you were curious, let me know. :)

Sigh sigh sigh. I've been under a loooot of pressure lately.

Last edited:

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday my R&R abruptly became an offer! I'm trying to do the due diligence on the agent and focus on revisions, but I'm so excited I couldn't sleep last night. Luckily today is my day off. :D

Congrats on the full, Elinor!

QUOTE]

Congrats to everyone with all the exciting news!!!
:hooray::snoopy::partyguy::banana::PartySmil

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
:partyguy: CONGRATS FUCIA GROAN!!!! That is wonderful news. It goes to show that hard work and dedication can pay off big time. :partyguy:

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Fuschia!

Still silence here. Well, other than a request from a website to be a part of an article they're publishing on Mother's Day. I sent out another query today, but looks like the agent is a notorious non-responder (even though it says on their website they respond to everything).
I tweaked the shizz out of my back this morning, so I've been miserable and immobile all day. Not fun for someone with two small kids. Also not good because we're checking in to Great Wolf Lodge tomorrow (indoor water park) so my back needs to stop being an a-hole and return to normal. Sigh.

Maybe someone else needs to tend to your kids and you get to hang out in a heated Jacuzzi? Hope you get to feeling better.

Don't you hate it when certain agents say they always respond, but they don't? It would be easy enough to tell the truth.

Update: I did a half-hour of weight work on my dusty basement floor, but I'm still feeling just great. My husband agrees with my decision and reminded me about how this same doctor insisted a few weeks ago that I was definitely "prediabetic." I resisted that conclusion, further more accurate testing was done, and the doctor never brought up the subject again.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Congrats Fucshia! That's incredible news!!!! I'm so excited for you!

I just got my fifth rejection, and this definitely isn't exciting anymore XD

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
:eek: Thank you so much for all of the congratulations. I am sure nothing will come of it, but it is pretty awesome and has honestly been a huge boost to my writing confidence.

Congratulations FG on your offer!!!! :hooray: That is great!

Hathor that really sucks about the doctor. I remember still when my mother took my grandmother to a doctor, and the doctor immediately decided my grandmother had dementia and wanted to prescribe antipsychotics.... when my grandmother OBVIOUSLY had signs of stroke, including the whole facial paralysis thing. Made me so mad. We really have to be our own advocates and it's frustrating sometimes.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Thrilled for you, Fuchsia! :PartySmil

How many queries did you send? Five? :D

I wish. :D It was 26. I queried veerrrrry slowlllly starting in January and got three requests total. It's the third book I've queried and the sixth I've written. Not counting my dissertation, though that was a monster. :)

Hathor, what is your daughter writing hers in? Yay for funding. (I was lucky enough to have it. Not lucky enough to get a tenure-track job. )

And boo to the alarmist doctor, who's hopefully totally wrong.

Sorry about the R, tri!

And thanks for the congrats, everybody! May you all have rejection-free inboxes this Friday.

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
I wish. :D It was 26. I queried veerrrrry slowlllly starting in January and got three requests total. It's the third book I've queried and the sixth I've written. Not counting my dissertation, though that was a monster. :)

ONLY 26?? LUCKY!

I'm glad it's finally paying off :)

Last edited:

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection. Said my writing was "engaging" though I bet that's part of the form letter.

On the bright side, the whole "double submission" thing I did is no longer a problem.

*sigh*

lol

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I finally got my butt in gear and sent out a few more queries this evening. I also went back to the agent who requested a full back in January and rejected it. I've made a lot of changes since then, so I asked if she'd be interested in seeing the revised work. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try. The revise-and-resubmit is still outstanding, but it can't hurt to hedge my bets a little.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
I actually surprisingly got a rejection from the agent I forgot to put a subject line in. Huh, I wonder why.

I'm such a ding bat. (Do people still use that phrase? Or is it just me?)

So now 6 of my 12 queries have been rejected all in like a week and a half. :Hammer:

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score

That's really impressive!! Only 26!

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Fuchsia - You did great! I hope you stay on cloud 9 for a long time. :e2cloud9:

ohhey - Sorry about the Rs. The querying trip is definitely not a scenic one. But the only way to get to the end is to keep riding, right?

There's a website here in which the blogger posts interviews with agents asking them about what matters to them in a query and what doesn't. It's a nice way to find out those nagging things we beat ourselves up over, like will they reject it over a typo? Or do they always look at sample pages or only if the query is strong? Is there a better time of year to query than another?, etc.

Last edited:

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
Sorry to you all for the rejections. Sending you virtual cookies and hugs. :3

I just re-wrote my chapter one. I don't know if it's good, but I hope it is. It's 9 pages now, it was 10 before. Looking for fresh eyes to check it out.

In the meantime, listening to Michael Giacchino to calm myself and taking part in a pitch event for the first time.

P.s. Antonin, you're the best. :3

Last edited:

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
When a couple of literary agents and publishing editors start following you on Twitter and you're like

tumblr_mnh420VtT51r3ua6lo5_250.gif
tumblr_mnh420VtT51r3ua6lo6_250.gif
tumblr_mnh420VtT51r3ua6lo7_250.gif

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all who were hit by the most recent round of Rs! Have a round or two of your drink of choice...:e2drunk:

Hathor, I've had a similar situation before, with a doctor. To the point that I started joking that she must own stock in the company producing the medicine.

So. Had mild panic attack this week, because apparently, we can't even look for a place until after we move. We're required to have some paper signed by the post(Army) Housing office, which we can't get except in person, before we can look for housing off-post. Which means we have to pack up our house, move cross country, and live in a hotel w/ our cat and dog for as long as it takes to get everything settled. Fun times. Not.

The Army is paying for the hotel, but still... It also means that my internet will be limited and/or expensive, so I'm debating whether to stop submitting stuff for a while. What do you guys think?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

Hathor, what is your daughter writing hers in? Yay for funding. (I was lucky enough to have it. Not lucky enough to get a tenure-track job. )

And boo to the alarmist doctor, who's hopefully totally wrong.

Sorry about the R, tri!

And thanks for the congrats, everybody! May you all have rejection-free inboxes this Friday.

I passed 26 a long time ago on both works I've queried. Sigh. But I'm fairly confident I will have a rejection-free inbox today. I haven't sent out any new queries in quite some time.

I'm still feeling fine this morning. Physically. Listening to the equipment working away on the monster house in clear violation of the subdivision's protective covenants is aggravating, though. Grumble, grumble. Latest development is our committee's decision to fire our attorney's butt forthwith and call for a meeting of the neighborhood. I spent the morning beta-reading the drafts for these letters.

My daughter is getting her Ph.D. in Egyptology. Her dissertation subject is childbirth in... oops, I think it's restricted to New Kingdom Egypt but I'm unsure. So she'll go into social, medical, magical, and religious aspects of fertility, pregnancy, and delivery. She has had to do quite a bit of advance research and draft a formal proposal for her professors to approve, including what she will cover and what sources she'll use. She's on, she hopes, her last iteration of that document. One of her professors is really picky and keeps on coming up with new angles, sources, and so on. She's anxious to just start writing, already.

She has hopes for employment either in academia or the museum world. However, she knows quite a bit about other parts of the ancient near east and is experienced in archaeological digs, so that will give her some flexibility job-wise. But she began to declare in 3rd grade that she would become an Egyptologist -- her choice of field was a question of true love, not burgeoning employment possibilities.

What did you study, Fuchsia?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all who were hit by the most recent round of Rs! Have a round or two of your drink of choice...:e2drunk:

Hathor, I've had a similar situation before, with a doctor. To the point that I started joking that she must own stock in the company producing the medicine.

So. Had mild panic attack this week, because apparently, we can't even look for a place until after we move. We're required to have some paper signed by the post(Army) Housing office, which we can't get except in person, before we can look for housing off-post. Which means we have to pack up our house, move cross country, and live in a hotel w/ our cat and dog for as long as it takes to get everything settled. Fun times. Not.

The Army is paying for the hotel, but still... It also means that my internet will be limited and/or expensive, so I'm debating whether to stop submitting stuff for a while. What do you guys think?

I think I'm glad I met my husband after he left the Navy. ;)

Has the Army picked a particular hotel for you? Many places have free Wi-Fi. If you can't get that, you can prepare drafts for your subs offline, then go somewhere that has it.

However, you might find housing quickly. It sounds like you'll have lots of motivation :D

You make me happy I'm firmly ensconced now in my newly remodeled house complete with Dream Tub. And the last little bit, Dream Chair, on order since mid-January, is currently clearing customs. If we end up surrounded by McMansions, I suppose we can put up rows of trees or bamboo to shield our view. Or perhaps aggravate our new neighbors-without-taste by adorning our front yard with a flock of pink flamingos and a wide assortment of garden gnomes and the most bizarre lawn ornaments I can find.

Now, do I have your blessing to have my drink of choice, even without recent Rs? I have plenty of other aggravation. In addition to everything I've mentioned already, I'm a season ticket holder for the Washington Nationals.

Speaking of aggravation, in some situations doctors do have a financial incentive to use particular drugs, but not in my case I don't think. But mine obviously has an incentive to keep me coming to her regularly, instead of one last appointment to tell me that my last chest X-ray is now clear (as I hope it will be).

One last aggravation -- it seems that I have a negative impact on Washington sports reality. My fiction mentions how the local teams are doing. Original draft had the Caps doing well, and the Nats and the Wizards doing poorly. Then the Nats did well one season andI changed the book. Next the Caps did poorly and I rewrote again. Now the Wizards, whose ineptitude forms the basis of a joke in my book, have made the playoffs :Shrug:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
One last aggravation -- it seems that I have a negative impact on Washington sports reality. My fiction mentions how the local teams are doing. Original draft had the Caps doing well, and the Nats and the Wizards doing poorly. Then the Nats did well one season andI changed the book. Next the Caps did poorly and I rewrote again. Now the Wizards, whose ineptitude forms the basis of a joke in my book, have made the playoffs :Shrug:

Yeah, the front page of the Express was basically, "Lay off the Wizards, they're in the playoffs." But that begs the question: whom exactly shall we then make fun of??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.