Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but is this likely to go on for a while?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The storms themselves have pretty much passed, though the conditions created them will likely make it a busy tornado season this year, which could mean more.

The damage done has been extensive, though, and in some places entire neighborhoods have been leveled. It'll take a long time for them to return to normal.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take care and stay safe and I hope the season ends soon. It must be terrifying as well as tragic.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I think the tornado season sort of ends in September. We've had a few in February. They tend to form in when February is warm, at least in Georgia. It usually means there will be a rough tornado season. They didn't come last February. But Katie's right there will be more during the spring and summer.

I don't think you get used to them.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think they are usually worse with the change of seasons. You certainly get them in summer, too, though :(

Right before this batch came through, it was fairly warm here in NC (daytime 80's). Today it's downright chilly (low 60's). The weather is at odds with itself in springtime in so many parts of the US :(

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
The last update I heard stated 235 fatalities in Alabama alone, and Tuscaloosa still had 446 people unaccounted for, with other counties across the state still searching. Cadaver dogs were brought in today to devastated areas and have found people under the rubble, both alive and dead.

Alabama is my home. Although the area where I live had minor damage, considering, I've found debris all around the yard from as far away as Tuscaloosa. (89 miles from here) Nobody knows the total devastation tornadic storms can cause until you are right next door to it.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm in Rome, GA. The house on the other side of our street had a tree through it and 1/4 mile in any direction from our house is destroyed. We're fine. House fine. Most important, my dogs and cats are safe. I backed up my manuscripts in case a twister took my laptop (thats a bit much I know, but it was all I could think of saving outside my pets).

We're out of power until Sunday they said. I've no internet except at work. Its been, harrowing.

Edited to add: We've heard reports that it was a high f2 or low f3 tornado that came to us.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, Tina.

ETA: Has anyone heard from Stacia? I haven't seen her around, and I'm kinda worried.

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
stacia posted to facebook from her iphone on Thursday. Nothing since yet.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Stacia posted on Twitter yesterday, thank goodness.

Jim Cantore has just tweeted that there are now 571 missing in Tuscaloosa alone.

This is just horrendous. :(

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad Stacia is okay, but that number for Tuscaloosa is terrifying. :(

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
No words to describe it here in Rainsville, AL. We got hammered hard. I've been in the Red Cross shelter for two days. We've been without power for almost four days. Our school, convention center, my bank, dozens of small businesses and some industries were totally leveled. It looks like the aftermath of nuclear war. My niece's husband lost his aunt and uncle, and we've lost two dear friends-neighbors, and there is so many who won't/can't answer their text messages.

Six or seven small cities were flattened, involving multiple counties. The National Guard is here, as well as a Marine contingent. I'm hearing a rumor that we lost 30 people right around the corner from where we live, when they took refuge in a walk-in freezer at one of our beloved cafes.

Our house caught the fringe of it and wiped out all the windbreak trees. Our attached car port took wing like something out of the Wizard of Oz. Windows broke, awning stripped.

I had to dry every circuit and board in my computer with Kleenex and finally got it running a little while ago.

Never want to see one of these again.

Tri

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Chris, I'm so sorry for your losses. :(

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((((Chris)))) I am so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like.