Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Haha, I wouldn't go near that town! If we're jumping in fantasy worlds here send me to some warm island far away from everything stressful and stocked with good food and boose.

The truth is, if we could choose which fantasy world we could live in, I'd be in the Harry Potter world. And I'd be in Slytherin.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evening, hounds. :hi:

So, (oddly related to what you were talking about) apparently there is a 7 ft. python loose in the city tonight.

*hides puppy*

:eek:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Slytherin! Come on, why would you want to live in the dungeons with snakes and stinky little Slytherins for? Everyone knows Gryffindor is the best.

I don't like snakes, but it would be in the best interest of a few of Gryffindor's students that I keep my distance. And I don't do well with temptation, I really don't.

So, (oddly related to what you were talking about) apparently there is a 7 ft. python loose in the city tonight.

*hides puppy*
Your puppy can come over to my house to play. You know how much I love playing with puppies. We'd bond and have a great time together. I'll teach him the 3AM Howling Game. Its' a lot of fun.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think I'll take my chances with the snake...

:eek:

:D

You're never gonna let me play with your puppy. This is sad, because I'm sure I'd solve the problems you've been having with him. I mean, imagine when he grows up and a stranger comes over. Do you want him to react like an idiot or tear the Mr. Stranger into bits as he wags his tail with glee? And if I could get some serious quality time with your puppy, he'd even drop the various parts he tore off at your feet.

You just can't buy that kind of training these days.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, imagine when he grows up and a stranger comes over. Do you want him to react like an idiot or tear the Mr. Stranger into bits as he wags his tail with glee? And if I could get some serious quality time with your puppy, he'd even drop the various parts he tore off at your feet.
I can't figure out if you're asking me that because that's what I should be avoiding...

Or if you're asking me if I'd like that part of your puppy training service. :ROFL:

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're never gonna let me play with your puppy. This is sad, because I'm sure I'd solve the problems you've been having with him. I mean, imagine when he grows up and a stranger comes over. Do you want him to react like an idiot or tear the Mr. Stranger into bits as he wags his tail with glee? And if I could get some serious quality time with your puppy, he'd even drop the various parts he tore off at your feet.

You just can't buy that kind of training these days.

I see that we have similar ideas about dog training.

Mom's puppy is progressing nicely. She's part Husky, so she's huge AND likes to pull things. I've almost got her to the point of pulling the cart with the rolled-up rug inside. :evil

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a graduation ceremony. That is an American thing. I think I got a letter about two months after leaving school with the list of grades and stuff I managed, but that is probably in one of the boxes which got left... Somewhere. The other day I mentioned in the Towards A Newer Blue thread about not knowing which high school counted as "mine" (If I ever got a bang on the head and wanted to go to a reunion or whatever) as I was at so many of the damn things. Not that I really care either way - I never hung around long enough to make too many friends, and I spent half my time trying to catch up.

And not every high school in the UK had the same stuff, so I would be reading a book for one English class, get to the next school and discover they didn't even have that on the required reading list.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
You'd think they would have some sort of set standard across the board. TBH, I'm not impressed from what I've heard of the schools there.

That being said... I had to read Lord of the Flies twice (sophomore year and senior year). *shudder*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I love Lord Of The Flies. :D

I know I've slammed British education before, but on hearing what other countries have to deal with... Yeah. May not be perfect, but at least we don't have to screw around with some of the hoops people are made to jump through.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
My parents decided a home taught high school education would be the stuff dreams were made of and removed me (and my then 5th grade sister and kindergarten brother) from public school. At first it was cool (who wouldn't want to "go" to school in one's bare feet?) but I missed a huge amount of social interaction.

My 7th grader has decided to run for student council representative for her grade/class this year. I had to google "student council representative" in order to answer some of her questions since I have zero experience to draw on - student council didn't start until 9th grade.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I'll argue the better education slant.

In my world, it was the ultimate in parental control and in an uber-strict Catholic house. My choices for maths, sciences, etc were all at my parents' discretion and based on their preferences. I was given a booklet of Vo-Tech classes availble and told to "pick something" because I was going to need a job soon. Nothing in it appealed to me and I told them I wanted to work with books. I was told to pick something or they'd pick it for me. I ended up in a medical assisting class (because it looked like the easiest) and ended up in the class with the girl who said she was going to nursing school and that I wouldn't even be able to pass the entrance exam. Dare accepted, test passed, and suddenly I was deep in the woods on my way to a nursing career I didn't enjoy or want that lasted fifteen years.

Lots of therapy later on? Oh my, yes.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Laurie...nice. Most of the homeschooled kids around here test better than the rest.

Larry the Cable Guy makes a jokes about homeschooling that are always funny in a creepy sort of way. But he's the only one.

I'd be horrified in my parents tried to homeschool me. The only thing my dad was good at was math and I'm numerically dyslexic.

Status
Not open for further replies.