Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Norse mythology rocks. I read them years before I read the Greek ones. The Greek stories seem so limp and lifeless by comparison.
As a writer I'm ashamed to say that I only know about anything to do with Norse mythology because of the Thor films in the Marvel movie-verse.

I know, I should be sent to the naughty step for that and many other offences.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer I'm ashamed to say that I only know about anything to do with Norse mythology because of the Thor films in the Marvel movie-verse.

I know, I should be sent to the naughty step for that and many other offences.

RA!

*happy dance*
*hugs RA*
*more happy dance*

You're right, you should totally go find the Norse myths somewhere and read up. Put hair on your chest!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
But I hate hairy chests. They're gross to me. All, like... hairy... and whatnot...

Also, it feels weird being in the horror section when I've never even seriously tried to write horror... or even really read horror all that much. It feels like everyone's just waiting to strap me backwards onto a donkey, put a bucket on my head and spit on me before sending me off into exile.

Maybe I should read some horror... I have been kind of wanting to read me some Stephen King ever since I read On Writing, after all.

*looks at bookshelf groaning under weight of unread books*

On the other hand, maybe I'll do that sometime later.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
But I hate hairy chests. They're gross to me. All, like... hairy... and whatnot...

Also, it feels weird being in the horror section when I've never even seriously tried to write horror... or even really read horror all that much. It feels like everyone's just waiting to strap me backwards onto a donkey, put a bucket on my head and spit on me before sending me off into exile.

Maybe I should read some horror... I have been kind of wanting to read me some Stephen King ever since I read On Writing, after all.

*looks at bookshelf groaning under weight of unread books*

On the other hand, maybe I'll do that sometime later.

No no no, they won't run you out of town on a rail. But they do have a bit of a fixation on barbecue. I hope you're wearing your asbestos drawers! :tongue

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Yup! Sometimes they do good, like Marvel movies. But most of the time it doesn't work. Not that the Marvel movies are even remotely accurate. But still a damn site better than most movies with Norsish mythology in them.

Last edited:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
A BBQ!

I'm starving, too.

RA, do you like BBQ?

images

The grill is lit!

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh, barbeque season. Breaking the grill out for some fresh meat. Always a good time.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
The Greek ones are soap operas. The Norse stories teach about life and courage.

Yeah, love me a Norse saga. I really prefer the idea that Hell is cold. That makes so much more sense to me. I understand cold.

Also, it feels weird being in the horror section

It's meant to feel weird. Hello again RA, nice to see you. Fancy being our char person?

Talking of which...

Should I be starting the fire?

Here, let me help. :flamethrower

That'll do it

Perhaps I should lend it to my next door neighbour too. Yesterday they tried to start up a bonfire using wet leaves, and it had been raining all morning. I was tempted to go out and tell him not to bother but it was more fun watching him struggle for an hour or so and then give up.

I get my glasses today. :hooray: And I have knitted myself a tam o'shanter. So no, I wasn't writing, but it was in a good cause.

Himself reckons he can never tell when I'm working so he keeps interrupting me. Now he's under strict instructions. If the hat's on my head then he can't talk to me unless it's because of fire, flood or to ask if I want more tea.

:Coffee:

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's the good thing about pepper - it doesn't mind being added later.

Terror, though, that's got to be fresh.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Englishmen: writing a short story associated with my Nazi Zombie Story heroes (it's gonna go on my blog). They're sent to contact a very reclusive mage who has made herself a little demesnes under the city of London.

If you were a reclusive mage who wanted to build your own little Fortress of Solitude under London, where would you put it? (my personal vote would be under Buckingham Palace, but my WWII setting and characters would never allow something like that).

So where? East End? Under some monument? The only distinct sections of London I've heard of are "The City," the East End, the West End, Limehouse, and the Isle of Dogs (which ain't an island and doesn't have any dogs, so huh?).

It's not crucial to the story. It just gives me a starting point for my heroes to go hunting for said Fortress of Solitude.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Englishmen

If you were a reclusive mage who wanted to build your own little Fortress of Solitude under London, where would you put it?

So where? East End? Under some monument? The only distinct sections of London I've heard of are "The City," the East End, the West End, Limehouse, and the Isle of Dogs (which ain't an island and doesn't have any dogs, so huh?).

I'm not English and I'm not a man, but...

Henry VIII kept his hunting hounds there. That's what the tourists guides say. When I lived near London there was a belief that it referred to some of the local women. Adjust as necessary.

You could put it under 'the Monument', near St Paul's - a memorial to the victims of the fire of London, Greenwich Palace might fit with your story. Elephant and Castle, named after the residence of a Spanish princess (Infanta de Castilla or something), the War Rooms under Whitehall, Aldwych tube station has been unused fr years and is regularly used in films as set. Perhaps the old tube station under the British Museum which is completely abandoned. the revolving restuarant at the top of the old Post Office tower. The Island in the middle of the Serpentine in Hyde Park. In a dock at Rotherhithe.

Status
Not open for further replies.