JanNoWriMo 2013

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to read The Silmarillion for 3.5 weeks now, and I'm still less than halfway through it. So today I gave up, and started reading Good Omens. Already about 50 pages in. It's a MUCH easier read, and hilarious to boot. :)

You've got to almost halfway through Silmarillion?

As someone who grew up on the hobbit (it was my bedtime story) and who read LotR before I was 16; I'm impressed. I have only ever been able to read a few pages in before I give up.

Good Omens is great! Stick with that one. :)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I felt like a slacker last night. I wrote 750 words during my lunch break, but after work I could only manage another 500 or so. I need to write 2200 words per day in order to hit 50K for the month. Not sure I'm going to make that without sequestering myself for the weekends.

(I finished the Hobbit, but I never did finish reading LOTR. Don't anyone bash me on the head, please.)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't get any writing done yesterday. Did some outlining, but didn't even finish that. Now I'm going to have to write 12 pages/day to hit my goal. I'm starting to think I've set myself up for failure.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! :) Interview was at 10:15, but I showed up early so it started earlier. It was short because I'm not the only one they had to interview, but I think it went pretty well. I'm hopeful, but we'll see. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You've got to almost halfway through Silmarillion?

As someone who grew up on the hobbit (it was my bedtime story) and who read LotR before I was 16; I'm impressed. I have only ever been able to read a few pages in before I give up.

Good Omens is great! Stick with that one. :)

I read the entirety of The Silmarillion years ago, after reading LOTR. I thought it was fascinating. Now, however... I really struggled to get through it, and so had to give up.

Strangely, I think it's because I'm now a writer. I now realise exactly what was missing from that book, and it kept ticking me off. :tongue And I guess the first time I read it, I was curious as to what would happen, whereas this time I could remember the main points anyway.

This is my second time reading Good Omens, too, but it's a more "normal" type of book, compared to The Silmarillion. The latter is essentially the Bible of Middle-Earth, whereas Good Omens is more like a modern story.

/ramble

Keep us posted, Vamp!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Bit out of sorts today. Wrote a disturbing piece of flash fiction.

I really hated the Silmarillion. The vast bulk of it has no story. My favourite piece of Tolkien was the hobbit, although I do like LotR.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Discovered a section that requires more cutting than I thought (two different takes on the same scenes). I've left it with a mismash of both version. Getting that all translated into the computer file will be fun :tongue

I'm close enough to the end of this pass that I kind of want to plow through it this weekend, so I can sort out the existing draft and get back to writing what's left. Hopefully I'll have the time to pull that off.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I really hated the Silmarillion. The vast bulk of it has no story. My favourite piece of Tolkien was the hobbit, although I do like LotR.

Yeah, that was the problem I was having with it. Little plot, even less dialogue.

When I read it years ago, I kept going because I wanted to know what happened, and had further incentive because I had just finished reading The Hobbit and LOTR and was really enjoying some of the history aspects of The Silmarillion. Every so often Tolkien would mention a name and I'd be like, "I know him/her! They did such and such!"

My favourite parts were finding out more things about Sauron. Mostly to do with the nature of balrogs and the like.

This time when I tried to read it, though... Ugh. Not enough to keep me reading. I could remember just about all the actual plot points, and the lack of dialogue just made it kind of meh.

Of course, even in half the book, it's covered several hundred years of history, so you can't expect it to go into too much detail. But still...

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Silmarillion = bible of middle earth.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought when I started reading it. I keep meaning to go back and read it because it took me a few goes to get through LotR as well and that was totally worth it.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
And I haven't written a thing since Tuesday so I'm going to try and make up for that today.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I got nothing done yesterday, and probably won't today either.

With relatives over from England, we've been spending a lot of time with them already. Today will be the third day in a row spending time with family.

Once Monday hits, though, I can get back to it.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Finished up edits of Part 1 on Friday, so I'm holding off on starting Part 2 for a few days while I give my brain a bit of a rest and catch up on some reading.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Just about to start edits:) Although not been such a good day today. Netbook is playing up, again. I'm seriously thinking of selling it:rant: And to top it off, it's freezing here. We've had snow already but we're meant to get more again tonight into tomorrow and the heating has decided that we should all freeze more and has to decided to stop working. Ever get the feeling that some days you shouldn't bother??:Shrug:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I still haven't worked on my homework yet today, which is bad. I really should start on that soon. I know I still have time, but I still want to get it done on time(and hopefully as right as I can get it). I really don't think I'll be writing today. So, I'll probably start soon.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I finished the cut-through late Friday, so I'm putting the changes in to the computer. That's also involved a little reorganization and playing with features of Scrivener I hand't used before, so I'm a happy little geek :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to edit just before, and I couldn't do it. I think I'm officially burnt out. Or maybe just sick of this novel.

I've read the whole thing about 7 or 8 times by now... I just want it to go away right now. Unfortunately, I need to finish this editing pass to make sure all the later chapters are working, because those are ones I've changed extensively in December's edit.

May have to dig out my old synopsis and work on that, if I'm subbing to agents once this pass is done. And try to figure out a query for US and UK agents...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Good Omens is an excellent, excellent story, and so much fun to read.

Slogging my way through my edits, page-by-page. My pace is abysmal but I can't seem to speed up. :(