First rejection on a partial

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first rejection on a partial today. It wasn't terrible. The agent said she thought my pages were interesting and liked my story concept but she felt it needed to start a little quicker to hook the reader.

At least it's something I can work with if I decide to revise-- better than a form rejection I suppose. I have 4 other requests out, though, so I'm going to wait and see what others say (if anything) before I change anything.

It could be worse, but still... sigh.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Wise idea. Maybe try a few more first; it's hard to say as it's just one person. You'll get there, I'm sure.

If (later) you do want an opinion on something longer than what you'd put in SYW already, you're welcome to PM me...

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I got my first rejection on a partial today. It wasn't terrible. The agent said she thought my pages were interesting and liked my story concept but she felt it needed to start a little quicker to hook the reader.

At least it's something I can work with if I decide to revise-- better than a form rejection I suppose. I have 4 other requests out, though, so I'm going to wait and see what others say (if anything) before I change anything.

It could be worse, but still... sigh.

Sorry for the rejection, but that's a big step in the right direction!

ScottleeSV

Registered
Reaction score
A positive rejection, imo. I'm sending off for the first time soon and if I get that, I think I'd be quite pleased. Then again, I don't know how long you've been at it.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
A positive rejection, imo. I'm sending off for the first time soon and if I get that, I think I'd be quite pleased. Then again, I don't know how long you've been at it.

I've not been at it long at all--just a couple weeks. But I'm not sure there's such a thing as a pleasing rejection. When your query is rejected, you can tell yourself... I'm just not selling this story the right way.

When your pages are rejected, you have to start wondering if you have a problem. At the end of the day, it's still a rejection. The only positive part is that she gave me a bit of direction/rationale as to why, so at least I'm not wondering.

Wise idea. Maybe try a few more first; it's hard to say as it's just one person.

That's what I keep telling myself, but it's hard not to worry maybe I have a problem I should fix. The thing is, I had 6 beta readers. 2 of them said they thought it needed to start faster (like this agent). The other 4 said they were hooked right away. It was pretty polar opposite feedback.

So I thought at the time, well it's just a matter of taste. But now with the agent saying that... I'm doubting again. And worrying about the other 4 requests I have out there (pointless, I know). And wondering if I should come up with an alternate version to send out if I get more requests from the queries I still have out there.

It's just one rejection, right? I shouldn't go revising based on that, right? I think I need to be talked off the ledge.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
*quietly radios crisis counsellor*

It couldn't hurt, I suppose, to try writing an alternative version with a faster opening, then let it sit while you wait to hear back from the others, then maybe try to see each of them with fresh eyes.

And if you keep hitting roadblocks whenever you try to make drastic changes or 'speed things up', then chances are it's fine as is and that just wasn't the right agent for you but another one will be.

Someone necrobumped an old 'how many' thread and it can be anything from the first agent you try who signs you, to the 300th.

And, well, at least you know the concept works for someone; trust me, even though you're right that a rejection is still a rejection, you're in the right direction at least.

Last edited:

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget, that agent is a person too with their own opinion - just like your beta readers. Another agent might be in the other camp and love how the story begins. You'll never meet them though if you don't keep going with it :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You revise if, after reflection, YOU believe it's the right thing to do.

I ended up revising not only my opening but a major subconcept of my novel after a few partial rejections that hinted at something I'd sensed was a potential problem but had been hoping I wouldn't have to fix.

Yeah. I did have to fix it, and the novel was a lot stronger, and I got a higher request percentage after the revision, as well as my eventual agent.

I don't know. You could give tightening the opening a shot. If you don't like it better that way, hang in with the original.

Last edited:

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it! Getting asked for a partial is a great thing so soon even if it's rejected! Keep the fire burning!~~~Never give up! Never surrender! CHAAARRRGE!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
And, well, at least you know the concept works for someone; trust me, even though you're right that a rejection is still a rejection, you're in the right direction at least.

Yeah, that's true. I've decided to stop sending out queries for the time being until I see what happens with some of these requests. Apparently my query and first 5 pages are working well enough. So theoretically they'll still work well enough in 3 months if I start up querying again. In the mean time, I can wait and see what happens with the pages. I just don't want to burn through more agents if I have a problem.

Speaking of which, I got another full request yesterday from a query I sent last week (prior to the rejection on the partial). I ended up deleting about 3 paragraphs from the first couple of chapters that I thought maybe weren't essential. If the beginning is too slow, this is probably not enough, but I didn't want to do anything rash after just one rejection. At the same time, it felt good to do something. I'm probably crazy.

Don't forget, that agent is a person too with their own opinion - just like your beta readers. Another agent might be in the other camp and love how the story begins. You'll never meet them though if you don't keep going with it :)

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for! I'm not opposed to feedback and making changes to make something better, but I don't want to revise just for the sake of accommodating someone else's taste. It's just so hard to know the difference sometimes.

Last edited:

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
Wow, it sounds like you're off to a great start if you sent out five queries and had one request for a partial and one for a full right off the bat. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.