Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some retellings. Any kind - like Beastly, for example. That's the only one I know of, hence why I'm asking.

I don't know how to explain it... Just some retellings of fairy tales or legends or whatever. Anything like that. Thanks :)

Well...at the risk of blowing my own horn, my first novel is retelling of the Excalibur myth. It starts with Arthur's last stand, and goes on from there, in a moderately twisted fashion.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I'm looking for some retellings. Any kind - like Beastly, for example. That's the only one I know of, hence why I'm asking.

I don't know how to explain it... Just some retellings of fairy tales or legends or whatever. Anything like that. Thanks :)

I really liked Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's like a dystopian retelling of Cinderella (surprise haha) with cyborgs and stuff.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score

Beauty and Rose Daughter are retellings of Beauty and the Beast; Spindle's End is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty--all by Robin McKinley. (She has one about Robin Hood as well--The Outlaws of Sherwood--but I thought it was a bit weak.)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have quite a specific request! Can anyone recommend me a Contemp with an American MC (preferably female) who moves to Britain or goes on holiday/exchange there? Like MEANT TO BE by Lauren Morrill, for example.

Thank you! :)

Thank you!

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have quite a specific request! Can anyone recommend me a Contemp with an American MC (preferably female) who moves to Britain or goes on holiday/exchange there? Like MEANT TO BE by Lauren Morrill, for example.

Thank you!

Haven't read it, but Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen fits your description to my knowledge.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score

Thank you!

Also, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith, though it's a very short trip.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score

Ash by Malindo Lo is a retelling of Cinderella.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score

Thank you!

Prada and Prejudice involves a trip to London, then some time travel, from what I recall.

HTH

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've not written YA before (only written up to MG until now).

I read a little YA, but need to read a lot more in order to figure out a book idea I've just had. IIn fact, I dreamed it, which is totally weird as it made sense when I woke up and wrote it down!)

So I'm looking for recommendations of books with a girl MC, definitely not the classic 'pretty cute girl', struggling with image and relationships, not in the popular crowd, but with a humorous, slightly sarcastic snarky voice. I'm not talking about a MC who is really unusual like STARGIRL, more a regular girl.

Thanks for any recommendations!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things has everything you're looking for, Britwriter. It's not super recent (2003 iirc), but should be a good place to start.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things has everything you're looking for, Britwriter. It's not super recent (2003 iirc), but should be a good place to start.

Thanks! Just downloading it to my kindle. :)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for YA books that deal with rape, with the actual assault happening in the book (not a memory or flashback). Thanks to anyone who can throw a rec my way.

Dead End by Jason Myers. It' pretty graphic and you'll find varying opinions on whether or not it's done well, but it's there. It's a pretty big part of the plot. He also has a short story with one called "stitches" on his site if you want to get a ideal of his style. It's brutal, to say the least.

I've not written YA before (only written up to MG until now).

I read a little YA, but need to read a lot more in order to figure out a book idea I've just had. IIn fact, I dreamed it, which is totally weird as it made sense when I woke up and wrote it down!)

So I'm looking for recommendations of books with a girl MC, definitely not the classic 'pretty cute girl', struggling with image and relationships, not in the popular crowd, but with a humorous, slightly sarcastic snarky voice. I'm not talking about a MC who is really unusual like STARGIRL, more a regular girl.

Thanks for any recommendations!

The Georgia Nicolson books fit this, but may be slightly younger than what you're looking for, plus they are very british. They are hilarious, however.

Last edited:

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com

Sisters Red and Sweetly by Jackson Pearce are retellings of Little Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel, respectively.

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale is a retelling of... the Goose Girl, and Book of a Thousand Days by the same author is a retelling of Maid Maleen. Which I'd never heard of before, but it's one of my favorite books anyway, so.

A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce, retelling of Rumpelstiltskin.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recently published YA fantasy. I want some epic secondary world stuff--not the urban-bordering-on-PNR stuff. Recently published is important, because I want to get a good taste of the (relatively) current flavor.

The books I already read or have in my TBR pile:
SHADOW AND BONE
VESSEL
PROPHECY
THRONE OF GLASS
FALLING KINGDOMS
THE FALSE PRINCE
GRACELING and companion books
GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS
TOUCH OF POWER
GRAVE MERCY

Alouette

bad apple
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some YA science fiction novels. The only ones I've read recently are Across the Universe and the Chaos Walking books and everything else seems to fall under dystopian, which I'm not really looking for.

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much anything by Scott Westerfeld
Pretty much anything YA by Cory Doctorow
Any of Heinlein's Juveniles
Ender's Game (if you can stomach OSC)
Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill
The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress (finally YA steampunk done right)
Epic by Connor Kostock
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Feed by MT Anderson
The Unidentified by Rae Mariz

And that's just off the top of my head.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also add...

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (really horror/sci-fi)
Legend by Marie Lu

Alouette

bad apple
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) I've read Legend and a lot of Scott Westerfeld but you've given me lots to start myself off. And also reminded me to check out Feed, which I've been meaning to do for ages!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
AND ALL THE STARS--pretty nice, some threads of classic Sci-Fi stuff

A new request. Maybe it will sound a bit weird, but I just want to read something like that, see how it's done by different authors, and I find it so rarely. I want some YA romance (can be a subplot, doesn't have to be 100% romance) which starts as antagonistic and stays this way for quite some time. A good example (and about the only one I can give) is LEGEND. MC and LI start out as enemies or opponents, and it goes on for a while. Maybe LI is even the antagonist of the first book, if it's a series. One condition is that such a LI must be a real one, not a loser part of the fake triangle (now that's a very popular situation).

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind contemporary, I kind of sort of loved the antagonistic romance in Kody Keplinger's SHUT OUT.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
A new request. Maybe it will sound a bit weird, but I just want to read something like that, see how it's done by different authors, and I find it so rarely. I want some YA romance (can be a subplot, doesn't have to be 100% romance) which starts as antagonistic and stays this way for quite some time. A good example (and about the only one I can give) is LEGEND. MC and LI start out as enemies or opponents, and it goes on for a while. Maybe LI is even the antagonist of the first book, if it's a series. One condition is that such a LI must be a real one, not a loser part of the fake triangle (now that's a very popular situation).

GRAVE MERCY. Maybe UNDER THE NEVER SKY?

sunjunkie

straitjacket test pilot
Registered
Reaction score
I listened to The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson on audio. Thought-provoking and really well done.

Also listened to Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Wasn't sure about this one at first but was glad I stuck with it. Interesting mix of characters and solid world-building. Just picked up the sequel.

jennarielly

Registered
Reaction score
OK so I've really been trying to read a lot more YA contemporary lately. I've always been pretty turned off by it but I've found if you find the write books it can be an amazing genre!

What would you guys recommend for contemporary ya novels?
(btw I've already read all John Green novels...that's what gave me this new found interest in contemporary lol and I've read Perks of Being a Wallflower as well)

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
OK so I've really been trying to read a lot more YA contemporary lately. I've always been pretty turned off by it but I've found if you find the write books it can be an amazing genre!

(btw I've already read all John Green novels...that's what gave me this new found interest in contemporary lol and I've read Perks of Being a Wallflower as well)

Jellicoe Road and Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
Forget You and Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Gone Gone Gone by Hannah Moskowitz
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Enjoy!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

Wanderlove and Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
anything by Ellen Hopkins, although they're very dark
The Chosen One and Glimpse and Miles From Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams
anything by Courtney Summers
I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak
Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford (one of my favourite YA books of all time)
Guitar Girl by Sarra Manning
Faking Faith by Josie Bloss

A million more! Contemporary YA is my thing :)