MaNoWriMo

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read about 40 pages of Things We Didn't See Coming, by Steven Amsterdam. Up to page 84 of 174. 174 pages doesn't sound like much, but it's a rough read...

Also had class, which was mostly uneventful. Not sure what I'll manage to do tonight. Very tired.

Oh! Just remembered that this morning, before heading out, I read about 15 pages of sociology stuff for tomorrow's class, and watched some youtube videos that were recommended for tomorrow's lecture.

So... 55 pages read today. May have to search for more e-readings - the book is enough for when I'm away from a computer (like, on the bus) so I don't want to read it while I'm home...

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I wrote 2k in a manuscript today, now I'm off to write some reviews. I'm participating in Bloggiesta, and I want to get a head start with my to do lists on my blog.

I finished one review so far, and am trying for at least four more. Fingers crossed. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Had class today, and so far I've achieved nothing. Like, I didn't feel up to reading on the bus there or back, and spent my break (between lecture and tutorial) chatting with friends/classmates. Got home an hour ago, but then had to go straight back out to pick up a parcel at the post office. So got home again about 15 minutes ago...

There's so much I should be doing that it's making my head spin. Ack!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay! So, I've downloaded 2 readings for research methods. There's 1 more that has to be read online. Then there are 2 in the reader (ie. on paper). And 2 in the library, on paper.

(This is just for 1 week for 1 class, by the way. Eek!)

Also downloaded 4 readings for creative writing which I have to skim over to help me come up with my essay question. I really hate having to come up with my own essay question, but yeah - hopefully these articles will help. And if they DO help, then, well, I know I can at least use them in the essay, y'know?

Haven't actually *done* any readings today, though... May have to try to read something before bed.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I took two days off from my book. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, my eyes are feeling a lot better for it (after staring at a computer all day at work, and then staring at one when I get home, they were starting to give me headaches). On the other hand, I miss my novel - as frustrating as it is - and it's sitting in the living room taunting me.

Also, I think I might have chosen to revise the wrong novel first. Turns out the one I'm not revising is the only one anyone wants to read. Guess I can't say I didn't know the risks... :Shrug:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I tried writing a little bit but I ended up staring at a blank screen for the most part. So, yeah... :/ Eh, I probably still need a break from writing. I'm still writing poetry and a little bit of flash fiction type things but I haven't been able to write anything more than that. My brain just....nope.

I have homework and stuff to do. So there is that.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I calculated in bed last night, that I have to read 300 pages of stuff for Uni in the next few days, as well as do an assignment. Eek! So much for the idea of getting it all done in 1 day...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay! 100 pages of creative writing read so far today. 75 pages of that got me to the end of the novel, and then another 25 of non-fiction reading about dystopias. So that's all I have to read before Tuesday for that class - apart from whatever I wind up reading to help me decide on an essay question, which needs to be decided upon by Tuesday as well.

Taking a break now, but then diving into the downloaded readings I got last night, to try to sort out what my essay question will actually be.

ETA: Re-read the guidelines for coming up with my question, and that alone helped me formulate a rough idea of my question. This, of course, led to realising that some of the downloaded readings won't actually be useful... *sigh* Anyway, haven't done any extra readings, but I have got a pretty good idea of my essay question. I'll edit it to perfection tomorrow morning, then email my lecturer, because she has to give it the green light. For now, I'm going to watch a DVD and then go to bed. Zzzzz...

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just emailed my tutor with a proposed essay question for creative writing class.

Next up, I'm not sure if I should try to do a lot of reading, or else work on an assignment for social theory class...

ETA: Did a 25 page reading for research methods. Got loads more to read for that class.

ETA2: Wound up searching on the Uni's library website, and I now have a fair idea of what I'll do for my final research methods assignment. It's meant to be a research proposal, so we're basically doing a study without the actual research stuff (interviews, questionnaires, etc.). But I needed to have some idea of what's been studied already, what my specific questions are, and some other relevant stuff.

Anyway, I just came up with some specific questions for study. :D I'd been stuck on this for a month already, so it was a good moment. :) Going out in about 1.5 hours, so I might try to get 1 more reading done.

ETA3: Did another 10-page reading. So that's 35 pages read today, which isn't much, but also have made progress on 2 assignments. Overall, not the most productive day, really. But eh - I'm making *some* progress at least!

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I'm home! :D Oh my god my trip was amazing. I'll share more later, but for now I need to get ready for my new classes that start tomorrow... Eep!

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, and glad you had fun. :)

Okay, so I've just done a reading for research methods. It was about 15 pages, and took me... Nearly 2 hours. Yeah. I just can't seem to focus today!

However, my to-do list isn't so bad right now. I have 2 more readings for that class that I can do, and I need to work on an assignment for social theory class, and I'm hoping to start reading the 4th novel for creative writing. ("The Violent Century" it's called.) If I can get all that done (2 readings, make progress on the paper, begin the next novel) then I'll count today as a success. :)

ETA: Okay, so I condensed 1100 words of notes down to 600 words of closer-to-proper-sentences English. This is a very good thing, as my paper is only meant to be 700 words. :tongue I'm assuming I'll lose some of it once I flesh it out to be grammatical and everything, but whatever. :) So that's one step closer to being done. Going to do some readings next, I think.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm home! :D Oh my god my trip was amazing. I'll share more later, but for now I need to get ready for my new classes that start tomorrow... Eep!

~Amber~

Hope your time was fun!!

--

Well, I got some more of reading done. But, naturally, I've still got a good portion ahead of me. I want to try to get more done though. I think it would be better.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the reading list is never-ending, isn't it? :)

In related news, I read another article for research methods, bringing me to 30 pages for the day. Can't believe how little I've read today, but then I've been getting other things done. Like, working on that paper (which I'll be going back to in a minute), and doing some cleaning in my room. And getting up relatively late, and doing the grocery shopping.

But whatever.

I now have 3 readings left for research methods, 2 of which I can only do in the library at Uni. Woo!

ETA: Trying to make progress on that paper was making me go cross-eyed, so I decided to start in on a novel for creative writing class instead. So far I've read 25 pages, bringing me to 55 pages for the day.

ETA2: Just got an email from my creative writing lecturer. My proposed essay question has been accepted. Hooray! Because I actually know 80% of what I want to say in it already, so I'm really glad I don't have to alter the question at all. :) It's not due for another month, but the question proposal had to be sorted out this week. Now I shall stop worrying about it and focus on my social theory class, which is brutal right now.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's March 1st where I am, so I'm going to make my official goals. :)

1. Get ahead of the game with my Uni reading.
2. Keep on top of all the homework.

That's it for me, I think. :) University outranks my desire to write or edit, unfortunately...

It's the end of the month here, so I thought I'd quote my goals.

1. I'm up-to-date with readings for social theory and research methods, and 25 pages ahead for creative writing, so I'll count this as a (slight) win. If I hadn't had a busy family weekend last week, I'd be way out ahead.

2. I've done an oral presentation, handed in a short paper, had my essay question proposal accepted, and am on-track for a short paper due this week. So, I've won this one too. :)

How'd y'all do?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Goal:
* Two MS read I read one....
* Pick one, do the Beta Swap submission I did two
* One MS roughly edited and ready for the 15th Both were, though "roughly" is a key word.
* That MS edited (or mostly edited) by the end of the month. hahahhahaa

I managed about 50 total pages of the MS I was editing, and since all the beta requests I got were for the other MS, I am now switching gears. This month was quite the mixed result.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hey, and I just rocked a job interview too. :D This has been a good week. I'll do my monthly update later today. For now I need to get ready for my first classes of the term (which means almost nothing... But hey... >.>)

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Final update for March:

*Stay on top of school work and not die during finals week (is it really that soon already?! What happened to the term?!) Check
*Finish that last scholarship application Yes, but I added a new one to my list >.>
*Read at least 3 books not including the giant stack of books for my English paper on the floor... I got through another hundred pages of Atlas Shrugged, so I'm going to count that as one book...
*Write at least 5k Nooope
*Finish at least 5 of my DayZero goals Yes :D Mostly through travel
*Play video games Check
That's not nearly as bad as I thought I did, actually. Good enough.

~Amber~

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd be ready to start writing today, but instead I'm in editing mode and my interest in starting the "different genre" book has waned. So I think I'm going to aim to:

1) Edit at least 10k from the second book in my series (as per the AW Editing Month Extravaganza)

2) Continue working on book three. I may set myself a word count goal later but right now I've got an awful lot on my plate and just don't know what the next week or two will bring.

3) Participate in the Return of the Beta Project.

4) Do some reading for my own enjoyment.

5) Bake some bread!

My March results:

1) I cut 5k from my second book, half of what I had intended, but I was pretty happy with those edits and have put the m/s aside for now. If I want to cut more, I'm going to have to look at removing chunks.

2) Work on book 3 went very slowly. I won't say that I've been blocked, but March was very busy, with overlapping shows in my "other" life and dealing with my elderly mother's fall and subsequent surgery. She's still in rehab and will be for at least a month, but I talk to her every day and she seems to be doing better.

3) Did the Beta Project. Enjoyed beta-ing others' work and was heartened by the comments I got on my own.

4) Didn't get as much reading done as I'd hoped. Some magazines, some poetry, some Neil Gaiman short stories.

5) And I baked bread! :D

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
My March results:
5) And I baked bread! :D

Congrats on the Beta Project :D Even if it didn't turn out like I'd planned, I really enjoyed it - got a few readers for MS2, and have some fun reading ahead myself...

Tell us about the bread!

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
I’m back! Had a great holiday in the sun! Loved doing a cruise on a catamaran while seeing a lot of wild dolphins swimming under the boat! Really amazing! But I must confess I dragged along my laptop, with many MANY other things considering I have a 9-month-old-baby, and I didn’t write a word! Not one freaking word!!! I’m really frustrated! I just had too much fun lying in the sun reading my kindle. God, reading books can be so addictive!!!

So now it’s the 8th of april and I did subscribe myself for camp nanowrimo and instead of trying to catch up my work I just can’t motivate myself to start writing again knowing I already wasted 8 days. Any suggestions on getting back to work? And I did try a cold shower, no use at all!! :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Julie, your trip sounds wonderful!

My best advice is always to give it ten minutes. Set a time, no clicking off to the internet or getting a cup of tea allowed. Ten minutes of "must write" and after that, reevaluate if you want to continue. The momentum to start is the hardest part.

If you do ten minutes, and get nothing, do something else for a few hours, and try again. I'm a big believer in BIC as a cure all!