Paranormal short story collection

julirew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianarew.com
I've written a series of short stories set in 1880s Colorado Territory, with paranormal/fantasy aspects. Each story was written to stand alone, but I'd like to turn it into a collection.
About half the stories are in first person (the main protagonist),
while about half are in third person (stories involving the
main protagonist). Should I re-factor the stories so that they are all in one voice or the other? Should I write little segues that introduce each one, so the reader knows the POV as they go in? Other advice on collecting short stories?
Thanks!

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with a collection that is linked thematically, but is composed of distinct, stand-alone stories. I just got done reading a collection of that sort by James Carlos Blake from 2004, which pretty much is all over in terms of POV voice, so it's not like there's some restriction on what makes a story collection.

Have they been published (or self-published)? If they have, you can still do a fix-up to link them. You'd need to make sure the rights aren't a problem, but if that's not an obstacle, you get more mileage from the work. Once as a stand-alone in some short-story venue, again as part of a collection.

Honestly, I would go easy on the re-writing. Unless there is a request for a re-write (presumably with some monetary incentive), I wouldn't. Is someone offering to publish your collection on the condition you re-write? If not, then offer them to an agent or publisher and then see if they want re-writes. They might like what you've done just as it is.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
No difference

If your stories please you and each stands on its own merits, then there is no problem. If you like 'em, submit them and don't bother yourself with the little bitty worries.