The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've done some writing tonight. For the first time this month.

Well, more editing actually. Harnessing the Very Helpful Rejection i got this morning, i set to work on the story tonight. Ended up adding 300 words (exactly), and hopefully that's rounded out some of the rough bits.

In a day or two i'll look at it again and see if i can't cut some words without losing what i've added (and whether what i've added really does the trick). But i'm feeling all :hooray: at the moment.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I've just sent out a fresh batch of stories. 18 new stories for the year, 33 subs, 11 pending.

I'll have one more this month. Hmmm, if I do two more, I would be caught up on the W1S1 weekly, even though I'm trying to do 2 per month. Temptation...

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I just finished a rough draft of a short story, a weird horror/humor piece. I'm pretty happy with it, even though writing it was like pulling teeth. Sure it needs some polish, but for now I'm just pleased I finished the damn thing.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
If I'm feeling up to it later I am going to print out one of mine and attack it with my pencil :evil
Show that story no mercy!

I've just sent out a fresh batch of stories. 18 new stories for the year, 33 subs, 11 pending.

I'll have one more this month. Hmmm, if I do two more, I would be caught up on the W1S1 weekly, even though I'm trying to do 2 per month. Temptation...
That's some good submission stattage, Matt. At this rate you'll be writing two stories a week by the end of the year :D

I just finished a rough draft of a short story, a weird horror/humor piece. I'm pretty happy with it, even though writing it was like pulling teeth. Sure it needs some polish, but for now I'm just pleased I finished the damn thing.
:hooray: Sometimes the teeth-pullers end up being the best stories.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Fighting off a headache from a strained neck. Which has made me cranky and therefore I got into a spirited argument about the W1S1 rejection-collection philosophy in the Erotica forum.

I should just avoid the interwebs when I don't feel good. I get argumentative. :p

I think I should work on my short story. MC is in the mood for stabbing things, that will make me feel better. :e2brows:

Aggy, not nearly as scary as her characters

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
5,885 words into my S&S story, about 3/4 of the way through. I'll need to cut a lot in editing, but I don't think it's coming out too badly. It may be too bizarre for the market, but I think it's certainly...interesting.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've finished my S&S story.

It's the one I wrote with a pen a few days ago.

I'm flip flopping between thinking it's utter shite and thinking that it's Ok.

And I'm stuck for a title.

I'm getting all pretentious and looking at poetry quotes.
At the moment I'm drawn to 'Children Ardent for Some Desperate Glory.'

But god. That's pretentious.

'What Passing-Bells' is another.

So, I don't know. I was wanting to check it over tomorrow and send it. So I'll probably just think of something stupid.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I'm getting all pretentious and looking at poetry quotes.
At the moment I'm drawn to 'Children Ardent for Some Desperate Glory.'

But god. That's pretentious.

'What Passing-Bells' is another.
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Sorry. I use poetry quotes as titles constantly and when I don't, I often end up thinking I should write a poem based around my title. :p Pretentious? Me? Nooo.... :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Sorry. I use poetry quotes as titles constantly and when I don't, I often end up thinking I should write a poem based around my title. :p Pretentious? Me? Nooo.... :)

:D
I love titles like those in other peoples work. They seem to know how to pick the right one, but I'm just rubbish at it.

I can't use Children Ardent quote. It's too famous. It's been used for Harry Potter fan fic...

So it's called 'The Passing-Bell' unless I think of anything better in the next hour or two.

Miserable war poetry they made me do in school...
What's it still doing in my head after all these years???

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
It's only pretentious if you don't pull it off. If your story's good - as, I suspect, yours is - the term's "intelligent," or, perhaps, "deep."

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Well, pretentious or not it went out under the title 'The Passing-Bell'.

And it was harder to format it than it was to write it.

I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem but Open Office says it saves as rtfs, but it looses half the formatting when it does so. Especially centres and first line indents.

The solution I found was to copy my text from an open OO odt and paste it into AbiWord, sort out the formatting then save as an rtf.
That seems to work and even if you open it in OO it has the correct formatting. (I hope and pray...).

Anyway, it should get it's R pretty soon and then it can go somewhere else, with what ever peculiar formatting they want.

Phew.

Now I can go play with my submissions spread sheet.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem but Open Office says it saves as rtfs, but it looses half the formatting when it does so. Especially centres and first line indents.
Yep, i had the same problem with OO as well. My solution was to stop using it :D

Sounds like your solution works too.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My S&S story is finally drafted, complete with a title change to Only Those Doomed. Doing the paper edits now, with the hell of inputting them saved for tomorrow.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
w00t! Well done, Nat. Like your and Lillie's titles, too.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pencil edits are done on my short that I wrote in...Feb(?) for my Write1. I am hoping it will be my Sub1 next month. But I still have to get the edits typed up. Then have a beta take a look at it. Probably do some more edits then. And then find a market. :D That will take me the rest of the month. Easy.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You guys, I can't for the life of me decipher the sub categories at duotrope. Magic Realism? Quirky? Mainstream? :e2thud:
Heh--i hardly ever use the sub categories. I don't think they're especially accurate, because iirc they're dependent on the magazine editors telling duotrope what categories the market falls under.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which explains why when I choose "zombie" only one result comes back :rolleyes:

OK, I'll skip them and weed through the long list of possible markets.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, i had the same problem with OO as well. My solution was to stop using it :D

Sounds like your solution works too.

What do you use instead for rtfs? Or did you get word?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have an illegal version of word, but this Vista laptop wouldn't let me install it.

I never use AbiWord either. I almost got shot of it, but I suppose it has a use now.