Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have a good list of dark fantasy YA novels? I've read a lot but I'm looking for more.

Anything similar to House of Night series, Vampire Academy, Hush, hush, Fallen. I love my mythical creatures.

Thanks in advance!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have a good list of dark fantasy YA novels? I've read a lot but I'm looking for more.

Anything similar to House of Night series, Vampire Academy, Hush, hush, Fallen. I love my mythical creatures.

Thanks in advance!
I would recommend Anna Dressed in Blood.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone recommend me some good YA novels written by writers from AW that are in paperback? I like dark and edgy. All the ones I've been running into are all in an e-book and I don't have an e-reader. Not yet that is. Thanks in advance.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Paperback and YA?

BREAK, INVINCIBLE SUMMER, and GONE, GONE, GONE by Hannah Moskowitz (Shady Lane)
A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL by Suzanne Young (roskoebaby)
THE UNIDENITFIED by Rae Mariz (sharpie.rae)
HANDCUFFS by Bethany Griffin (bethany)
SPEECHLESS and SAVING JUNE by Hannah Harrington (traininvain)
WINGS series by Aprilynne Pike (Maprilynne)
WICKED LOVELY series (and others) by Melissa Marr
DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth (vroth)

That's just from a quick glance at my bookshelves.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing you've read Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Caster Chronicles? Brilliant central romance there and some great world-building. Claudia Gray's Evernight is a great first novel in the series although I was less keen on the sequel. Similarly, I loved The Dark Divine by Bree Despain but book two wasn't so great. I really like The Forbidden Game trilogy by LJ Smith, dark and strange.

MJ Putney's The Dark Mirror is a stunning mix of magic, romance and time-travel. Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers are an interesting twist on a creature not often seen in modern fiction, I love her world-building but I'm less keen on her characterisation - might be worth a look though. David Morgan's self-published The Boo Hag is one of the very best self-published books I've read, and is possibly unique, featuring a title character taken from South Carolina's Gullah culture. The Vampire of Highgate by Asa Bailey isn't one of my favourites (wasn't overly keen on the main characters) but if you're a bigger fan of vampires than I am it may be more up your street.

Hope you get the chance to try some of them, and that you enjoy them.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been on a YA high/epic/low/traditional fantasy kick and I want more. Really reignited my love of the genre, just in YA form. What do y'all suggest I dive into next.

Assume Tamora Pierce, Kristin Cashore, and Rae Carson have all been (or will soon be) devoured. But things in the vein of those awesome ladies will be greatly appreciated.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been on a YA high/epic/low/traditional fantasy kick and I want more. Really reignited my love of the genre, just in YA form. What do y'all suggest I dive into next.

Assume Tamora Pierce, Kristin Cashore, and Rae Carson have all been (or will soon be) devoured. But things in the vein of those awesome ladies will be greatly appreciated.

Wereworld by Curtis Jobling is outstanding epic fantasy with werewolves, werecats, and so on added, which makes it really different from anything else I've read.

I also love Celine Kiernan's Moorehawke trilogy, which is more of a traditional fantasy world and has excellent characters.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

I've heard good things about THE THRONE OF GLASS by Sara Maas. Also about Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. I've read THE WARRIOR HEIR by her, which is contemporary fantasy (but feels traditional sometimes), so I suspect those are pretty good.

I enjoyed THE FALSE PRINCE by Jennifer A. Nielson. No magic in that one, just orphan boys being trained to replace a prince.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking for romantic comedies from boys' POVS. Sweet and funny with happy endings, but not waaaay soppy please! If the humour is snarky, that's even better! I love me some snarky humour.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com

Have you read Shannon Hale? Book of a Thousand Days is my favorite but I've never read anything by her that wasn't fabulous.

Also Cindy Pon's Silver Phoenix and Fury of the Phoenix.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com

Another vote for Throne of Glass. I'm reading it right now and totally loving it. :) I would also recommend Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey and A White So Red by Krystle Jones. (My opinion on the latter might be biased; Krystle and I are crit partners. But it may fit what you're looking for.) Hope that helps. :)

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone recommend some novels that feature a LBGT romance that doesn't involve anyone struggling with coming out? I'm also looking for some books that feature music or the arts in general that play a big role. Thanks in advance!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone recommend some novels that feature a LBGT romance that doesn't involve anyone struggling with coming out?
GONE GONE GONE by Hannah Moskowitz is my favorite :)

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone recommend some novels that feature a LBGT romance that doesn't involve anyone struggling with coming out? I'm also looking for some books that feature music or the arts in general that play a big role. Thanks in advance!

Also, BOY MEETS BOY by David Levithan.

micahcannibal

I am a Cannibal :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.enterthefayz.com
In need of suggestions :)

In the spirit of Halloween/October, I am looking for some good Ya horror reads that anyone can recommend.

Preferably something 2005-2012 :D

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
In the spirit of Halloween/October, I am looking for some good Ya horror reads that anyone can recommend.

This is a hard one. I've read some, but I can't say I loved them.
THE DEVOURING was interesting.
And when I look at the lists marked as YA Horror, there is mostly dark urban fantasy YA.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

TEN by Gretchen McNeil just came out. It's kind of an adaptation of an Agatha Christie story. Haven't read it but it sounds good. Plus it's non-supernatural.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey is by far the scariest YA horror I have read. I went into it kind of dismissive of the notion of being frightened by spooky creatures in children's books, but by about page 25 something absolutely appalling happened and I knew I was not going to be sleeping any time soon. Three books out so far, one more coming soon.

Long Lankin is another good new scary historical. Keep the windows locked!

And Wuftoom is borderline MG and YA, but it's a really really creepy tale of illness, transformation and losing your humanity. I would recommend it to anyone! Strong stomach recommended.

Scary books that aren't horror: Wintergirls is a contemporary issue book, but I thought it was scarier than any horror novel.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
TEN by Gretchen McNeil just came out. It's kind of an adaptation of an Agatha Christie story. Haven't read it but it sounds good. Plus it's non-supernatural.
Is it considered horror? I thought it was a straight mystery/thriller. I mean, I've read it--there aren't really many moments meant to scare or gross out the reader. At least, that was my impression.
It's an excellent read, though, so worth reading anyway. :)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Just remembered. REPLACEMENT. It's more like creepy urban fantasy, but it definitely has a strong horror element. A good book to read when it's a dark and stormy night.
And ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD. I loved the first half but felt like the plot fell apart by the end with the dramatic use of Deus ex machina. Still, an engrossing read and you might have a different opinion.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey is by far the scariest YA horror I have read. I went into it kind of dismissive of the notion of being frightened by spooky creatures in children's books, but by about page 25 something absolutely appalling happened and I knew I was not going to be sleeping any time soon. Three books out so far, one more coming soon.
Yes! I LOVE this series. I'm nearing the end of the third book now and don't know how I'll be able to wait for the 4th.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
Thirding The Monstrumologist, stunning series which just gets better and better.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some character-driven contemporary. Less concerned about pretty writing than character arcs and good examples of pacing for character-driven plots. Can't figure out of my WIP is character driven or just unfocused plot-wise.