The AW Editing Month Extravaganza

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Snuck in another 1% during the retreat. Now I'm back and after I do a little co-plotting (which honestly might take all night) and deal with my shiny new Beta Project entries :) I'll be back to editing. Tomorrow and Monday should be pretty productive.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday's total edit came to 343, with another 304 words today. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
2% so far today, but I'm about to hit a section with a lot of cuts. Also some back and forth of bringing dialogue from a future scene into an earlier scene, so this should get confusing fast.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too many distractions today - only 186 words cut. Pooh.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I knocked out a full 10% today, which would be a positive sign for my speed if I hadn't cut out the biggest chunk of anything I plan to cut in that section. A good half of today's percentage came from that cut. But I have to go by the Kindle %, or else I have no way to keep track.

Still behind.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I knocked out a full 10% today, which would be a positive sign for my speed if I hadn't cut out the biggest chunk of anything I plan to cut in that section. A good half of today's percentage came from that cut. But I have to go by the Kindle %, or else I have no way to keep track.

A percent is a percent?

Lost three days to a robotics competition. Awesome, but not much help in getting editing accomplished...

I'm not feeling very good on making my deadline of the 15th. I'm up to 160 pages of edits on paper, but the rewrites are piling up. I knew I'd have to add, but the adds are becoming a giant stack. Those, after they are written up, will end up part of the next edit. Wash. Rinse. Repeat...

What do you think? Go back and make the changes I've written up or slog through this edit, and then make all the changes at once? I generally prefer to accomplish one task before going on to the next, but maybe a first-half that's edited is enough to get the ball rolling on the Beta Swap, and then going on with the edits... I don't know. :Shrug:

I do better with deadlines, but I'm at the part where I need to start changing the plan to have something ready for the date.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A percent is a percent?

Except when it's not :D

Today started out with writing/rewriting that wasn't included in my Kindle percentage, but I still already have 4% done for the day.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the day off, and even though part of it was spent worrying over my mother's surgery (she's 93, but came through it like a champ, thank God), I was still able to edit out just over 371 words in my MS. That means I've cut about 2770 words. I'm a little more than halfway through and am now worrying that I'm going to have to go back in after I'm finished to cut major hunks out. Arrrrr...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Up to 5% rewritten today. I'll probably go until 11 tonight, but won't likely get to another full %

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Except when it's not :D

well, yes... but still! :)

I had the day off, and even though part of it was spent worrying over my mother's surgery (she's 93, but came through it like a champ, thank God), I was still able to edit out just over 371 words in my MS. That means I've cut about 2770 words. I'm a little more than halfway through and am now worrying that I'm going to have to go back in after I'm finished to cut major hunks out. Arrrrr...

Glad your mom is doing well!

I've been reminding myself of the "going back for another round" possibility whenever I put something off instead of sorting it now, but there seems to be a lot of it happening anyway.

Did another 20 pages before bed, but I regretted it. Had to be up this morning at 3:30, and 20 pages hardly feels worth it at the moment. In addition, I left the folder at home this morning, so no working on it before going home after work.

About 80 pages left to mark up, and then let the changes begin. The little stuff isn't so bad, but the big sections of re/writes concern me...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
OMG HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD

It's exactly what I needed. I'm the worst at editing, the more motivatino I can get towards it, the better. Also, if you guys have any editing methods you've blogged about or blogs you like, throw 'em my way. Right now I make a scene outline, a list of changes, then just rewrite everything... still looking for the best method.

Do you all find tracking hours to be the best way to do it? I usually track my percentage done of each "pass" -- tracking hours is genius! I never thought of it.

My March goals:

1) Finish scene outline of BROKEN THINGS
2) Rough out missing pieces of scenes
3) Finish present tense rewrite
3) Prepare to start reading through it again to do a proper, full rewrite...
4) Total 50 hours of editing, of any kind
5) Don't get distracted editing other stuff.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Your goals are so wimpy, EMaree. It's like you're not even trying. :sarcasm

I did my daily 3%, and now am trying to do another 2% because if I do, I'm actually halfway done with the rewrite (sorta, since all the cutting was in the first half, lol).

Usually I don't rewrite like this, though. I make bigger changes (scene adds or cuts, plot hole fixes, etc.), then I print out a copy, do a first read light edit, and then do at least two more passes with different colored pens. The first read is me just recognizing that I'll be too caught up in the story to really edit, but also allows me to recognize problems I hadn't caught while writing.

BTW, I wrote this novel in a month. You wouldn't think that it would be hard to rewrite 80% of it in the same amount of time.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, EMaree (I've always loved your screen name; I like to say it out loud :D).

Only a measly 140 words today. Housework was screaming for attention, and for once I listened.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually got up to 5% yesterday, which brings me to 30% for the month, but 50% for the whole novel, yay!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Managed to power through the bulk of my scene outline yesterday. THINGS ARE COMING TOGETHER yeessssss. *gleeful laugh*

Things are also... not quite fitting... but shush, subconscious, we'll think on those issues another time.

BTW, I wrote this novel in a month. You wouldn't think that it would be hard to rewrite 80% of it in the same amount of time.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

My drafts take two or three months, but editing takes months and months and months and month. YEARS, sometimes.

Welcome, EMaree (I've always loved your screen name; I like to say it out loud :D).

Only a measly 140 words today. Housework was screaming for attention, and for once I listened.

Omg, I'm so happy you noticed that about my screenname! I picked it because it was just fun to say. :D

Thank you for the welcome, mrsmig and Sage.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only 75 words today. I spent most of the day working on taxes, so at least that's done, but 75 words is pathetic.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Managed to power through the bulk of my scene outline yesterday. THINGS ARE COMING TOGETHER yeessssss. *gleeful laugh*

Things are also... not quite fitting... but shush, subconscious, we'll think on those issues another time.

I am so with you on that second part, and happy for your luck with the first!

My laughs have come from rereading the paper notes. On read through, I have a scene actually had my MC ignoring advice simply to fall down a flight of stairs. In reality, she had something to do that was never explained in the scene, but good grief. I'm well into "laugh so I don't cry" town.

Finally finished corrections on paper. I don't want to total up the sheer volume of pages simply marked as "rewrite" but it's likely in the 30s. Six scenes need to be fully added (less than it looked at other point, thanks to moving things.)

Thank goodness for Scrivener, I haven't torn my hair out yet. Sadly, all the adds sound weird and stilted right now, but hopefully I'll fall into step. Let the rewriting commence! :tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Only 2% done so far today. 3% is my daily goal, but I don't think I'll get there before I have to go to bed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I stayed up and made it to the requisite 3%. 33% total for the month.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Made up for yesterday's sucky editing day with just over 530 words carved out of my WIP.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'd really like to put it a nicer way, but I sort of gave up all hopes of cramming all the work I wanted to do into 15 days.

I've got a decent 750 words from each story (yeah, it was going to be one story, and now it's back to both of them...) for the beta swap. The scope of all the edits for the one I wanted to submit is large, so at least I've bought myself a bit more time? It's nice to feel like I've accomplished something, even if it's a departure from my actual goal.

Surprise upside to today, I did a query for the second book that is better than the millionth version of the other book's query. I don't think that says anything about the book other than that it has an easier to explain main plot, but it was nice after how badly I've struggled with queries...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
2% done today, and I'm too exhausted to tackle the next 1%, so I'll be a little behind.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, nothing got done yesterday, thanks to the Beta Project, and that probably cut my productivity in half today too, but I still got 6% done, which took me over halfway to my goal. That's great, since we're halfway through the month. I'm on par, hooray!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done squat for the past two days (and I blame doing my Beta Project assignments for today's lack of progress :D ). It's been wacky with understudies at my show this weekend, plus we have out of town guests. I'm hoping I can get some work done tomorrow before I go to my evening's special entertainment - The Chieftains in concert!