AugNoWriMo!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
woohoo! I've been wrangling with the motivations of my MCs in a WIP and it had been holding up the completion. Well, I figured it out today. With the long weekend coming up, who knows? I just might be able to finally this thing this month! :banana::TheWave::banana:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go! :D

For me, after doing those readings, I've since located 22 potential articles for a literature review assignment (not due for a fair while, but it's good to get started) as well as combing through a textbook for notes on another assignment (due in about 12 days), then typing up the quotes and relevant notes.

*flop* It's only been about 6 hours of homework today, but it feels like more. I could still get more done, I suppose, but we'll see...

I still need to make more notes for this 12-days-away paper, so I might work on that, or else work on the very short exercise for Exploring Genres.

ETA: I got inspired and wrote that very short exercise. 100 words of a book review. :) It will likely be helpful for a later assignment, which requires that I pick one of the exercises and turn it into a 500-word piece. This one was far more interesting than the first 2, if you ask me. :)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Closing in on the end of the month with both goals in sight!

9,125 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 111 in A Summons to Memphis

Yay for all of us!:partyguy:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Critiqued the 3 pieces I had to, and just uploaded them. Haven't done anything else today, but I find I have very little left to do right now anyway. And I still have tomorrow to work on what's left. :)

PillBlast

Registered
Reaction score
I failed my goals for the week and I don't think I'll be doing wrimo for September because all I can do when I come home from work is sleep. But now I know why I had this problem: I'm pregnant. Here is to a goal I've had for about half a year and it was finally achieved.

I am tired all day and to be honest now I don't feel guilty for being so out of it in the past few weeks. Never imagined it would affect me so much but I guess all I can do is enjoy the time and hope that by November I will feel up to the real Nanowrimo.

Congratulations to everyone else for achieving their goals! :hooray:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Closing in on the end of the month with both goals in sight!

Yes! Go get that goal!

I failed my goals for the week and I don't think I'll be doing wrimo for September because all I can do when I come home from work is sleep. But now I know why I had this problem: I'm pregnant. Here is to a goal I've had for about half a year and it was finally achieved.

Congrats! You have an excellent reason to not hit your writing goals! :partyguy: Yay for baby!PillBlast!

I took yesterday off from writing, completely. It's the first day in weeks I didn't even attempt to write a bit. I'm still in good shape on my goals, which I suppose technically deadline at the end of next week... I've got eight scenes left. If I get one done this weekend, and two done on each of my days off, I will hit dead on. I broke 60K, so numbers-wise I'm just over 20k for the month, which is a nice spot to be in.

I also started shopping for a new laptop, heaven help me...

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I am tired all day and to be honest now I don't feel guilty for being so out of it in the past few weeks. Never imagined it would affect me so much but I guess all I can do is enjoy the time and hope that by November I will feel up to the real Nanowrimo.

Congratulations to everyone else for achieving their goals! :hooray:

So many congratulations, PillBlast!

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! :)

I'm having a writing haul this weekend (it's a 3-day weekend for me). Done a couple thousand this morning, going out with a friend later and then plan to do a few more thousand when I get back, and rinse and repeat tomorrow and Monday too.

I still plan to achieve my 20K goal by the end of Sept. 1. I always tend to be a "day before it's due" type, but ~14K in 3 days is pretty doable for me. I want to push past 10K by the end of tonight. I'll update my sig count later in the day.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, PillBlast! :)

I just submitted my fifth job application for the month. I've only heard back about one (they filled the position JUST before I submitted my application, which is a bummer, but oh well), but that's okay. Yesterday was my official last day at my job and I'm fine with having a little bit of a break before school starts up in a month (I still have another 30 days until term starts?! This summer feels very long. :tongue). I have a surprise data entry project for my other job at least (I generally don't work there over the summer but occasionally I get approved for extra hours for special projects I'm needed for), which is about six hours a week for about three weeks, which will keep me busy without overworking me.

I got paid early for some reason. Surprise. I decided I wanted to pre-order the special edition box set of the complete series of Psych because I love that show, so I splurged a little and did that. :tongue I'm calling it an early birthday present for myself... Even if it doesn't come out until after my mom's birthday in October but whatever...

~Amber~

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Coffee, I hope you get that scene done this weekend, because I'm pushing 4000 words today and I don't want to leave you completely in my dust ... :D

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Para, I wish we had a fist-shaking smiley. This would be the moment for it.

This will have to suffice - :yessmiley

I DID finish that scene, and I'm nearly through the next one. I've hit the point where I'm throwing plot at the wall and hoping it sticks. It worked in the outline, and I've got no plan B, so we'll just roll with it. Seven to completion, and after tomorrow, two days off. I want this WIP done by Wednesday!

BTW, I do know this is a completely-in-my-head race, but it makes me so much more productive :evil

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Goals:

1. Keep up with readings for Uni.
2. Write, edit, and submit 4 assignments for Uni.
3. Have enough free time to do a few things that interest me beyond Uni.
4. Do all this without getting super stressed. :)

End of the month, and here's how I went:

1. All readings have been done that need to be done so far.
2. Not only did I complete those 4 assignments, but I completed the 1/2 an assignment I added a week or two ago, and have made some good notes on another one (which I might write the first draft of today) and found 22 articles for a literature review. Win!
3. Erm... I had the free time, but I did nothing. Do naps count?
4. Check. My stress levels have been reasonably low this month. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Coffee, I hope you get that scene done this weekend, because I'm pushing 4000 words today and I don't want to leave you completely in my dust ... :D
Hahaha

Coffee, let's go head to head. I want this WIP done by end of Monday. You get a couple extra days, but we'll try to finish by our goal dates, yes?

And Pill, congrats! woohoo! I've also been unbelievably tired, but I'm not pregnant. Haha.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
You're on Chompers! I'll keep after you if you need the extra push :D I'm a nano-ML, so my guilting and nagging skills are top notch.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Darn, darn, darn. I had hoped to get a nice chunk of writing done today between shows, but went off and left my computer at home. I did get a little bit done before I left for the matinee, so the day wasn't a total loss, but I had visions of making my 10k goal with a day to spare.

9,664 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 135 in A Summons to Memphis

So close...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
You're on Chompers! I'll keep after you if you need the extra push :D I'm a nano-ML, so my guilting and nagging skills are top notch.
Haha! Well, according to an ex of mine, my nagging skills are pretty superior too. So I'll be all up on your case too. Haha

Mrsmig - Well, over here it's not yet midnight. You still got 30 minutes. Easy peasy!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, despite having decided to take it easy today, I've done some homework.

1. Made some extra notes for a short paper, and then created a rough outline for the first draft.

2. Made short notes on key concepts addressed in 22 articles for my literature review, and renamed the files to reflect the author instead of gibberish from the academic journals. :tongue I still need to sort those 22 concept-notes into categories, and decide which direction the review will head in, but I can do that another day. (Note: I have read nothing more than the abstracts/introductions for those articles. Actually reading them all will probably take me 4 solid days, if not longer.)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With slightly more than an hour before it's September in my time zone, here are my results for the month:

10,576 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 164 (out of 209) in A Summons to Memphis

So I made my writing goal for the month with room to spare, and almost made my reading goal of two books (completed The King's Grave and only 45 pages to go on A Summons to Memphis - which I might be able to finish tonight if I can stay awake).

:PartySmil

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Congrats everyone :) A lot has been going on but I think most people did get somewhere :)

I got 2 blog posts. 5 books.
And I wrote about 25'000 words.

All in all I'm actually not happy with myself... but I'll try and do better in September.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Closing out the month at a shade over 55,000 words.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the goals met folks! :partyguy:

33K and change for the month. Considering it's not an actual nano-month, I'm pretty pleased with myself. Now, three days to finish the novel.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Would have only been a half-fail if I sent out the story Saturday, but I was exhausted from DragonCon and didn't trust my eyes. I'm finishing the editing pass on the novel today. I'm off by a day on my editing estimate which is my best. I'm usually off by 15, so I'm close to figuring out my speed. I'm focusing on writing this month, but I haven't settled on a wordcount yet.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Congrats everybody!

All right, I'm adding one scene to one chapter, and I'm done editing. For this draft. It still seems short, at about 66k, but I'm sure my readers will be able to point out places where they feel the flesh lacking (like at the beginning, STILL, now that I'm thinking about it for this post. Sigh). I also know I'm to the point where, other than some details I've tweaked and a bunch of line edits, I'm mostly moving commas around and changing the names of things.

So, I more or less met my August goal! :D