Rejectomancy

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
At least according to the forms listed at rejectionwiki.com, I found out I got my first higher tier rejection. It's also my long lost Pedestal rejection. Mixed feelings, but mostly happy.

The two tiers listed there don't seem that much different, if anything the standard form seems slightly more encouraging than the one listed as Higher... Not sure if this page reflects the reality of Pedestal's tiers but I hope it does as it means my two rejections from them were higher.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I got my R from LORE today. 60 days, about standard, it seems. It seems to have been written by Rod Heather, the head editor. He signed it "Yrs, Rod Heather." Unless all Rs are written by him, I'm taking that as encouraging. Not sure if it qualifies as a personal R. He wrote "I enjoyed aspects of your tale" but nothing specific.

I'm now 0 for 3 in my brief "career." Still have 4 stories out there. Looking to you guys for moral support while I grow a thicker skin.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
The two tiers listed there don't seem that much different, if anything the standard form seems slightly more encouraging than the one listed as Higher... Not sure if this page reflects the reality of Pedestal's tiers but I hope it does as it means my two rejections from them were higher.
Hmmm, it looks very possible this website doesn't know what it's talking about! In fact, the standard tiers for poetry is the same as the alleged higher AND standard tiers for fiction. Oh well. That fancy helped me get past the sting.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
This whole rejection thing is interesting. I've got good stories out there getting rejected, and while I have a lot of room to grow as a writer, no doubt, it's disheartening, to say the least.

This might make a good topic in another thread, but does anyone else feel they're reading stories in these magazines that just aren't that great? Some are great, of course, but I've read hundreds of published short stories in the last few months, mostly in the same magazines we're all trying to crack. And I feel that some of them just aren't that good.

Does anyone here feel this way?

But I'm staying optimistic, more so than I thought I would when I first put myself out there back in September.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Ding!

And there's the R from Lightspeed. Looks like the higher tier.

Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I look forward to seeing your next submission; I hope you'll try me again with something else.

I'll have to think for a minute or two about where to send it next.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This whole rejection thing is interesting. I've got good stories out there getting rejected, and while I have a lot of room to grow as a writer, no doubt, it's disheartening, to say the least.

Don't get too disheartened, we've only just started :)

I always think of it this way, the editors of these magazines are getting hundreds upon hundreds of stories, even after cutting out the ones that didn't follow guidelines or are too full of typos or grammar errors to read. They're looking for ones that catch their eye, perk their interest or make them go "that'd be perfect for this issue!"
So even if a story is really amazingly good, for one editor, for that one issue, it might not be the one they pick. (Course, that doesn't mean not to go through your story and make sure it's as good as can be before sending)

Just my way of looking at it :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps. Though, I've noticed a lot of writers feel they're better than stories that they simply don't like, as opposed to those that are, qualitatively, not as good. I also think new writers, myself included, have a hard time gauging the merits of their own work. (Think American Idol singers that were rejected, but were sure they would win). That being said, I've seen a few pro-published works whose acceptance left me astounded. Not many, but a few.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

This might make a good topic in another thread, but does anyone else feel they're reading stories in these magazines that just aren't that great? Some are great, of course, but I've read hundreds of published short stories in the last few months, mostly in the same magazines we're all trying to crack. And I feel that some of them just aren't that good.

But I'm staying optimistic, more so than I thought I would when I first put myself out there back in September.
Firstly, good on you for keeping your chin up. :) That's one of the most important steps on the writing journey, imo. I don't doubt that there've been a ton of talented writers who threw the towel in early on because they couldn't handle the rejections.

On the topic of feelings towards published stories, i think there'll always be some inherent bias in the way that we as writers read other published work. That bias can lead to reactions as diverse as 'how could i ever write something so good?' to 'i wouldn't line my cat's kitty-litter with that story.' If we were approaching purely as a reader our reactions may have been different.

One thing to keep in mind is that editors are people just like us, and mostly publish according to their preferences. Plus, there are often other factors as to why a story might be rejected (ten similar good stories received at once, not enough money in that issue's budget, etc) And anyone can start a zine (looking at myself here :tongue).

I often do the following when i read a story i feel is mediocre: Look at the aspects of the story that i feel don't work and then think how they could be improved. Try those thoughts in my own writing. Conversely, for stories i feel are amazing, look at what worked really well and attempt to apply those techniques in my writing.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It's only that way at first, but then you get use to it -- well, hopefully you get use to it. You're competing against a lot of other writers out there.

Ooooh, yes. :tongue

I understand that people have different tastes. Like if I started a zine, I would definitely not publish plotless literary stories, no matter how well written it is. In fact, very little literary would make it past me. Or anything so horribly abstract, that I don't know WTF is going on. But yet, some people really like that stuff.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I often do the following when i read a story i feel is mediocre: Look at the aspects of the story that i feel don't work and then think how they could be improved. Try those thoughts in my own writing. Conversely, for stories i feel are amazing, look at what worked really well and attempt to apply those techniques in my writing.

I also think there could be some merit in looking at those stories that you thought were mediocre and trying to figure out what the editor might have seen in the story. Something in it spoke to that person (and quite possibly at least one other person if it went through a slush reader first), so even when our own first reaction is "Well, heck, my stories are better than that!" maybe it's worth a second glance.

If nothing else, that could be useful for markets you're especially keen to crack as it gives you a bit more insight potentially into that editorial team's preferences.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, just got a funny rejection today. It made me feel really stupid, but for good reason. Poor editor. I guess I sent this story late at night as a part of one of my batches or something, but I got an R today saying that they really liked the story but don't understand how it fits their theme. Checking back, my piece doesn't fit the theme. At all. I'm trying to determine what I was thinking... Haha. Talk about "ooops" moments!

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Aggy! Hope the next market works out better!

I haven't been submitting long either, and yeah, sometimes I'm astonished at some of the things that get published. I imagine that another aspect is that if you can say on your cover letter "I've been published in New Yorker and Atlantic and Paris Review" your submission is going to be looked at MUCH more seriously than it will be if you don't have anything published, and it takes tons of time and effort to get good publication credits. Those of us who are just starting out have a particularly steep uphill climb, I think. Sigh. But I guess everybody has to go through it.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
All valid points. Perhaps I'll start a topic elsewhere on the forum to flesh this discussion out a bit. Particularly:
I also think new writers, myself included, have a hard time gauging the merits of their own work.

I think an artist does have an inherent knowledge that something he/she produces is good or bad or great, etc. Sometimes one's ego (whether fragile or overinflated) can skew that perception, certainly.

I'm prepared to work hard and (much more difficult) exert much patience through this process. Once that first publication credit is carved in print, it will get a little easier, and so on all the way to fortune and fame. :)

It's tough to think that you can wait two months or more on a really solid story, only to have it rejected because it didn't fit with that issue. What about the following issue? Nope. Okay, off to another market for two more months. Frustrating. But that's where faith in yourself and your talents comes into play. Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep getting better and broadening your scope.

I try hard to be objective. Impossible to be completely so, but I'm getting good at it. In the field of horror in particular, I find that SO LITTLE even approaches scary, or creepy, or unsettling...all the things that make horror horror. And I wonder if my tastes are TOO unsettling. Vicious cycle of self-doubt.

But onward to that first acceptance!! Thanks all for the great comments. I think it's good food for thought.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I think an artist does have an inherent knowledge that something he/she produces is good or bad or great, etc. Sometimes one's ego (whether fragile or overinflated) can skew that perception, certainly.
This is why I post my stuff over in the SYW boards so it can get bashed around. :tongue It brings in the objective viewpoint as to whether the piece works or not, in general. Beta readers also help, though you may not get as varied opinions on your stuff.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first official rejection email today. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it lol.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*bloody stupid literary crap*

Wish I'd never written in, got nowhere to send it.

Want to delete it and pretend it never happened to me.

Goddammit.

*wanders off mumbling Lady Gaga lyrics*

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
This is why I post my stuff over in the SYW boards so it can get bashed around. :tongue It brings in the objective viewpoint as to whether the piece works or not, in general. Beta readers also help, though you may not get as varied opinions on your stuff.

Yes, I need to get on this SYW train. Great suggestion. Doesn't one need to make a lot of posts around the forums before being allowed access to SYW?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*bloody stupid literary crap*

Wish I'd never written in, got nowhere to send it.

Want to delete it and pretend it never happened to me.

Goddammit.
:(
I thought there were lots of literary markets out there. Though, I don't know how many of them pay...
*wanders off mumbling Lady Gaga lyrics*
Is it Marry the Night? Because I was listening to that all day yesterday. :tongue

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I need to get on this SYW train. Great suggestion. Doesn't one need to make a lot of posts around the forums before being allowed access to SYW?
You just need 50 posts minimum, which is easy to rack up. You can start by giving crits, which will help build some cred, so when you post, people will (hopefully) do the same for you. ;)

(oh, and the password is vista)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(
I thought there were lots of literary markets out there. Though, I don't know how many of them pay...

Is it Marry the Night? Because I was listening to that all day yesterday. :tongue

No. Bloody Mary. It's a left over from my Illuminati phase a couple of months ago.
Really bizarre. Not my taste in music at all. But she does have some wild shoes.

I know, loads of literary markets. I just have no idea what are the good ones, or the ones I should sub the stupid story to.

I ought to rewrite it with demons in it, or in space, or something so I can send it to my normal places.

I'm going to ignore it right now.

Lol, for one moment in time I had all my stories out.
Didn't even last a day.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Crickets here.

Does anybody know what the usual turnaround time for Bull Spec is? From what I can tell from the emails I've had, my story cleared slush at the beginning of November. I haven't heard anything since. I know that's not a huge wait by any stretch, but the crickets have made me antsy.