XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your interview, Gina! Hope it goes well!!

This!

Y'know, as someone with a psychology degree and two maths A-levels, I COULD explain to you why "close to the average" is a mathematically accepted definition of "normal"... But it would involve graphs and a guy called Gauss.

Oh, yeah - I know why mathematically and statistically it's considered 'normal', but it's still an average (in the non-mathematical sense!) and doesn't always FEEL like it allows 'normal' to be a very wide range, especially when you're feeling a bit out of place anyway. If you're talking bell curve, we're all of us normal. Even Bos and CM! :eek: :roll:

To be honest, though, I've always said: I'm normal for me. :)

And the heater is fixed!

w00t! So glad to hear it, amergina! Hooray for orchids!

Last edited:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all! Glad to see it's already entertaining in here this morning. Yay for your heater Amergina!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH! I have a face-to-face (all day) interview for a job next Friday! (like I got the call while composing this post)

Yay! Fingers crossed for a great interview! :)

And the heater is fixed!

Double-yay!

Afternoon everyone. Thank the gods it's Friday. Tomorrow I'm off to a local science fiction convention, kid-free! I will enjoy my time away, and I will be happy to see them when I return. It's a win-win. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
A 27-year old woman just asked me what zip codes "do".

Bad answers:

1. It's your social security number, so they know who the letter is really from. Older people had shorter numbers, that's why you see some 5-digit and some 9-digit.

2. It's a special code that you're supposed to use to indicate whether or not your letter contains a terrorist plot, exhortation to sedition, or juicy letter-sex. The higher the number, the higher the "the NSA should open and read this" value.

3. We just make those up because otherwise it looks weird. Put anything you want. Instead of numbers, I just write "bacon!"

4. They indicate the priority of the letter. The higher the number you put on, the more "zip!" it gets going through the postal service.

5. If you can see those numbers, you have uncovered the alien pod-people conspiracy. They'll know you're onto them if you ever mail a letter or mention the numbers again. If I were you, I'd hide. And for God's sake, don't check your mail!

6. It's the number for the person living in that town. That's what the census is for; they count everybody so they know how many there are and where they live, and then when they go to deliver the letter they just count from the town line (starting at the northeast corner, moving clockwise and inside) until they get to the right person. You know your friend's number, right? No? Do you even know your own? It's a federal crime to throw out the letter telling you your number, because if you move, you have to swap it with whoever's house you're taking.

7. It's a code. If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Suzanne, I should have waited for your response!

I told her they don't do anything, unless their productivity is questioned, at which point they plot to kill.

The "high" numbers qualifiers crack me up, since all our zips start with "99"...except for that one town that has surrounded itself with Canada. I think it has a different one.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The "high" numbers qualifiers crack me up, since all our zips start with "99"...except for that one town that has surrounded itself with Canada. I think it has a different one.

Heh. Mine's about as low as you can get, and everywhere around here starts with a 0. That's because, being one of the original colonies, our roads were originally cow-paths, so they are hard to navigate and slow. So, low number.

Honest.

Canada: it ate a whole town! :O

I for one welcome our new Canadian overloads. Aye?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Canada: it ate a whole town! :O

It's kind of a symbiotic relationship, I believe, like a shark and a remora. But, you know, more mild.

Heh. Mine's about as low as you can get, and everywhere around here starts with a 0. That's because, being one of the original colonies, our roads were originally cow-paths, so they are hard to navigate and slow.

I recall those from living in Mass, and my memory is refreshed upon my biennial visits to NH. I call them "apple cart trails" and they make me freaking insane.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Mine's about as low as you can get, and everywhere around here starts with a 0. That's because, being one of the original colonies, our roads were originally cow-paths, so they are hard to navigate and slow.

At least three quarters of the roads in the UK used to be cow-paths, country lanes or footpaths. Some have become wider over the years. Others have not. It makes town planning and traffic management... challenging.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
At least three quarters of the roads in the UK used to be cow-paths, country lanes or footpaths. Some have become wider over the years. Others have not. It makes town planning and traffic management... challenging.

Which is why the average speed of traffic in London is about 8mph, same as 100 years ago. Progress. Nah!

That's also why it's faster to cycle into town here rather than go by car. Any distance under two miles is quicker on two wheels even when they're self powered.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
And I just call the office of the Job from Hell, and told that old b*tch if she didn't have my W-2 in the mail by close of business on Monday, i was going to call the IRS on her. I actually said, "I hope you enjoy your audit."

I'm not a nice person when I'm angry.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, as far as I can tell.

No, my head is not in contact with my feet. Would that help?

I live in Teesside, contact with Zombies is almost unavoidable!

So what's my prognosis?

Oh. Oh my. Well, I'm afraid you'll be experiencing a terminal case of mortality in the next 100 to 200 years.

Until then, teach your body to fold into a pretzel.

Just don't do it where the hat raptor can see. Fez loves twisted snacks.

And I just call the office of the Job from Hell, and told that old b*tch if she didn't have my W-2 in the mail by close of business on Monday, i was going to call the IRS on her. I actually said, "I hope you enjoy your audit."

Boo ya. Go June.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

It's close to the end of Feb. They deserve the IRS coming after them if they don't get you your W2s.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!!! I think I have been more than patient, and more than generous. Now I'm pissed off.

It's not a matter of patience or niceness. She was a crap employer and now she's breaking federal law. Game over.

In other news, a crappy coworker has been taking candy from other people's candy bowls and maintaining a giant candy bowl on her desk. She's out today, and there's seriously a :mob around her desk. It's probably the "most important" thing that's happened here so far this decade. These people...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At first I thought candy was a metaphore.

Candy is for squirreling away, not displaying.

In other news, long day is long. On the bright side, I earned enough in overtime today to cover the deposit I just sent in for a riding clinic this summer.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
A 27-year old woman just asked me what zip codes "do".

Are you sure she was 27 and not, maybe, 7?

3. We just make those up because otherwise it looks weird. Put anything you want. Instead of numbers, I just write "bacon!"

Something tells me the girl would start writing "Bacon!" or "Sausage!" (as breakfast meat taste preference dictates) and the USPS would hate her. I like this method best.

Hallmark probably makes a "heard about your audit" card. I'd go ahead and ship one their way. I'm all about passive aggressive action.

Status
Not open for further replies.