James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The scam is that they claim to be a literary agency, but they aren't.

The scam is that they take money for worthless services.

The scam is that they lie about themselves -- starting with their business address, moving on to their "successes," and winding up with their abilities.

The scam is that they take your money and don't move you an inch closer to publication.

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
one more question

If all this is true, then tell me please how do they get away with all of this, to me it seems that they are an illegal operation, please tell me how?

Also, you said they don't move you an inch, i must say something different, because my point in all of this is my book was edited and it was in need of that, now if I send it on my own i will feel confident that my manuscript is in tip top form. So if it is only an inch, i am still closer than before.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Uh, Max, have you looked at the qualifications for their editors? Are you sure the editing you recieved was actually worth what you paid? If the editor did a bad job, you could be worse off than before. Have you actually heard of any documented cases of this editor editing any work that was commercially published? Not vanity published - commercially published.

Illegal and unethical are not the same thing. It is unethical to take inflated payments and knowingly do shoddy work, but it is not necessarily illegal. And it seems that right now efforts are underway to get New York's attorney general interested in prosecuting them. The answer to your first question may very well be, "Because they haven't collected enough proof - yet."

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why hasn't law enforcement shut down The Literary Agency Group yet?

First, because the sums involved, on a person-by-person basis, are small.

Second, because getting the authorites interested in a literary scam is difficult.

Third, because everything takes time.

It's possible that some authors got insights into their works from the "editing" provided by Edit Ink (editing done for minimum wage by folks with no qualifications or experience in the trade), but that didn't stop Edit Ink from being convicted of false advertising, deceptive business practices, and fraud, and fined two million dollars plus being ordered to make another six million dollars in restitution.

It's possible you would have gotten the same boost if you'd asked a local high school kid to read and comment on your manuscript.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
MightyMax5 said:
On the other hand, through this process i had a critique done and my book professionally edited, in which it needed. I am very happy with the results.
I'm glad you're happy with the results.

But professional? Judge for yourself. Here's a quote from the letter that Writers Literary, the editing company used by Children's Literary Agency and all the Stylus clones, sends as part of the "critique test" it gives prospective editors:
The critiques can use some degree of boilerplate phrases...It is NOT necessary that you read the entire manuscript. The idea is that as an editor, you are familiar with the most typical errors that writers make, and you can spot them, copy them, and comment on them quickly and efficiently. We think you can do this by spot-checking 3-5 pages.
I think that pretty much says it all.

- Victoria

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
How about this

Ok, so once again I am just getting feedback on assumptions, just like you said before that the states attorney's office could not do anything because they had no proof, so if they have no proof, how does someone on this message board without going through the dealings with CLA have proof.

I came on here to find people who have had dealings and problems with the CLA, and my responses have been from the same people that are always on here saying things from assumptions, where is the proof, I need to see proof.

I am 75% leaning towards this being a scam, I am not delusional by no means, I took a gamble and for the most part so far have not been apart of a scam. you say my editing is no good, but have you had the same editor i had ever done any work for you, i would probably say no, so how do you assume that they screwed me over. Just a question? Can anyone see where i am coming from, like I said before for months i have read these posts and the same junk is on here by the same people, but all assumptions, i need facts. And maybe time will lead me to them and it might be the hard way, but i am fine with that. All I wanted from posting on here was to find someone who is or has gone through the same process I am in right now.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Max? Knock it off.

You got a crap critique from a bunch of career scammers. No shame there; it could happen to anyone. But saying you got a good deal, that you weren't scammed, and that you're going to stick around to see what happens, is like dating a professed whore.

Yet there you are, insisting over and over again that even though she hangs out on the corner in fishnet hose and a leather microskirt, saying "Hey, handsome, wanna party?" to strange men, no one's actually seen her in the act of turning tricks, and therefore we can't say she's a hooker, and therefore her interest in you isn't purely monetary.

Give it up.

Robert Fletcher's been running his various fake agenting operations for years and years now. They never make sales. Right there, no matter what else is going on, you know they're not legit. An agent makes sales. An agent works for authors whose books sell. And that's just not happening.

The other thing Fletcher's agencies never do is go broke and shut down operations. Therefore, we know that they have to be making money. Yet they don't make any sales, which is the only legit way for agents to make money. Can you figure it out from there, or do I have to draw you little pictures and diagrams?

As for the rest of you guys here -- didn't any of you do debate, back when you were in school? Do you truly not know that "I demand that you prove this to my satisfaction" is a mug's game?

You've more than made your case to Max. He can accept it, and try to have a rational discussion, or he can continue to reject it and go off in high dudgeon. That's his choice. What he can't do is pretend that he still has any ground to stand on. Please stop acting like he does.

Last edited:

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on pointing me in the right direction

Now that i have everybody's attention to this matter, could someone please point me, a new author just trying to break through in this business into the right direction.

whether it be a real agency or even publishers that do not require agents.

My books are children's picture books and already have 1 book finished and 1 book going through the illustration mode. My book is based on a character who has down syndome and how he copes with other classmates in an inclusion setting. I based my main character "Max" on a real life student with down syndrome that i worked with for 2 years in a school setting.

thank you for your time.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know about this one:

Well now that you guys have convinced me of this scam. I need one more bit of advice. The contract that I signed with them, how hard is it to get out of it, I know that in the contract it states that after 90 days of no selling of my book then the contract can be voided, and you guys say and now i am starting to believe that they will not sell the book so I guess I have to wait out the 90 days or can I get out now.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if you tell them "No thanks" to their next request for more edits, they'll just drop you. And I hope you're right, that the editing has improved your writing. That would be the best-case scenario. I've really enjoyed the online critique group www.critiquecircle.com It's free and has been very helpful in getting my writing polished. Good luck.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
MightyMax5 said:
Well now that you guys have convinced me of this scam. I need one more bit of advice. The contract that I signed with them, how hard is it to get out of it, I know that in the contract it states that after 90 days of no selling of my book then the contract can be voided, and you guys say and now i am starting to believe that they will not sell the book so I guess I have to wait out the 90 days or can I get out now.
Happy to do it.

Answer: You can get out in less than 90 days.

Send CLA a registered letter terminating your relationship. Don't explain anything. Don't tell them what you're going to do next. Don't give them any additional contact information. Just say, "This is to inform you that I am terminating my relationship with the Children's Literary Agency."

After you've sent the letter, you can ignore CLA forevermore.

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
what do you mean by registered letter and how long does the letter have to be, can it just state that the relationship between CLA and myself will no longer exist

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
The people at the post office will know what you mean when you tell them you want to send a registered letter. It will cost more than sending a regular first-class letter (just a few dollars), but you'll have proof the letter was delivered.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, publishers don't come take a look at ST's database. In order to get a manuscript considered, the agency has to submit it.

Write to Bobby Fletcher, tell him you're terminating the contract, and go find an honest agent.

Davilance

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.interdrama.com
Children's Literary Agency - WARNING

emma said:
Just wondering if anyone has heard/worked with this agency before. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Children's Literary Agency was very encouraging and helpful -- up to the point where they suddenly wanted me to PAY for a critique. When I told them that I am disabled, on limited income, and cannot afford to pay $60 to $80 for a critique, they dropped me like a hot potato ...

It is my understanding that reputable agents never require authors to pay for anything.