UK meet thread [Sat 27 April 2013, London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Also I have '8th June something something' written on my hand. If only I could read what the 'something something' is!

8th of June is the 'meet the editor' gig with Marcus from Gollancz at The George.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
8th of June is the 'meet the editor' gig with Marcus from Gollancz at The George.

Gollancz! That's what it says! Thanks, it's been bugging me all day....wait, *looks at hand* that's supposed to be a G? I need to learn to write more proper

Lovely penis by the way, Flibble.
Now there is a sentence I never thought anyone would say to me.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Really sorry I missed this, what with penises and all. Life stuff intervened. Looks like you all had a great time. So, when's the next one? ;)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Okay, now that the Spring 2013 London meet-up is past, I'll go ahead and start planning the Summer 2013 North meet-up.

This meet-up I'm planning WILL NOT be held in London. Full stop.

Nor will it be held in the South. Full stop.

So first question is:

For those who want to attend the North meet-up, what month shall we aim for?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't make the north. Just did a scan of train prices and I started crying.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I'm afraid I can't make the north. Just did a scan of train prices and I started crying.

Well, yeah. That, plus vastly more expensive lodging costs in London, is why a bunch of us up here haven't been able to attend any of the London meet-ups. Turn about is fair play. :tongue

Okay, but seriously, we'll miss those who can't make it. We'll hoist a jar for absent friends.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah. That, plus vastly more expensive lodging costs in London, is why a bunch of us up here haven't been able to attend any of the London meet-ups. .

The difference isn't in the cost of standard returns - there's not much difference between Norwich-Sheffield and Norwich-London, either in distance or price. But London has cheapo tickets if you don't mind leaving at odd times, which I haven't found for northern (actually western from my POV) trains.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I don't see any issue with alternating North and South meet ups. Obviously it's a shame we can't all get to a single event, but think what problems the US folks have...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I might drive if there's a Northern meet, so anyone who's on the way from Milton Keynes to wherever it's held is welcome to a lift.

Only one person, mind. New car coming in a week or two and it's only got two seats. </showoff> :tongue

Someone could stand on your roof and surf all the way there. Which, as we established, Michael J Fox did in Teen Wolf.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The difference isn't in the cost of standard returns - there's not much difference between Norwich-Sheffield and Norwich-London, either in distance or price. But London has cheapo tickets if you don't mind leaving at odd times, which I haven't found for northern (actually western from my POV) trains.

And yet I remain unmoved. Several people have asked for a northern meet-up. It's unfortunate that not everyone can attend it, but a whole bunch of us can't attend meet-ups in London (which is where all the other AW UK meet-ups have been held), so that works both ways.

No one can make every meet-up. That's life.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Terie, it might be better if you started a new thread, as the majority of the posters in this thread seem to be from the South. I am not bothered when/where the next meet is as I will make every effort to be there.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie, it might be better if you started a new thread, as the majority of the posters in this thread seem to be from the South. I am not bothered when/where the next meet is as I will make every effort to be there.

This thread has been used for multiple UK meet-ups. I suspect that if I started another one, a mod would just merge it with this one, anyway. I don't see a need for multiple threads. The mods have already changed the title a few times to reflect the current discussion, and I'm sure that will happen again.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be better as a separate thread.
This thread pertained to a meet up that has already happened.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I think it would be better as a separate thread.
This thread pertained to a meet up that has already happened.

No, this thread was started in Feb 2010 as a place to talk about UK meet-ups. The thread title has been changed several times to reflect the current discussion.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, this thread was started in Feb 2010 as a place to talk about UK meet-ups. The thread title has been changed several times to reflect the current discussion.

My mistake.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah it's never a problem to rename the thread to reflect an event date and location, just ping a forum mod once something's finalized.

Obviously if two events were happening around the same time a separate thread might be wise just to keep arrangements clear.

-Derek (...creeps back out)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
. Sigh . . . so when shall we do it again?

Is this the right place to say I would like to come in there is another one held in London?

PS: Hi to Mr Flibble, we met at Fantasy in the Court. I made it here at last.

Great pics - thanks Seun. Funnily enough I am the one with the Bear.

Agree with Crunchy - lets do it again soon. Anyone want to suggest dates?

crunchyblanket;8143193[B said:
]Actually if I have my own place by then, you'd all be welcome[/B]. But seun would have to sit in the shed.

I'm sorry I missed it. So when is the next one?

Hmm...would a winter meet be too soon?

Would you put down some straw for him?

How about Autumn? Cos if we do a winter one it will snow

Really sorry I missed this, what with penises and all. Life stuff intervened. Looks like you all had a great time. So, when's the next one? ;)

Terie, it looks like the discussion in this thread has already veered towards another southerrn meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.