Newb, confused about agents...

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
So, I just got some very helpful feedback from a lit agent. She suggested that my writing feels like a screenplay to her and I'm contemplating trying to translate it to a screenplay if it doesn't work out as a novel.

But, as I'm researching the screenplay process...I'm feeling kind of lost. I get that it is generally best to get an agent. Is the WGA list (without web addresses and any helpful info) really the only place to find information about legitimate screenplay agents? Is there no QueryTracker equivalent or clearinghouse of info?!

I lived in LA for many years and know how "back door" much of the dealing is...but this seems ridiculous. Surely I am missing something?

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just got some very helpful feedback from a lit agent. She suggested that my writing feels like a screenplay to her and I'm contemplating trying to translate it to a screenplay if it doesn't work out as a novel.

But, as I'm researching the screenplay process...I'm feeling kind of lost. I get that it is generally best to get an agent. Is the WGA list (without web addresses and any helpful info) really the only place to find information about legitimate screenplay agents? Is there no QueryTracker equivalent or clearinghouse of info?!

I lived in LA for many years and know how "back door" much of the dealing is...but this seems ridiculous. Surely I am missing something?

Before anything else, write a brilliant screenplay. You won't get a manager, much less an agent, without one. There isn't a legitimate agent in the world who will talk to you without one unless you happen to have a bestselling book or a project/concept with heat and/or A-list attachments.

And screenwriters look for managers, not agents, these days, at least at the start.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bergerac. I do know I need a good screenplay, but I'm right on the fence about putting in the time and effort. I lived in LA for a while and am not 100% sure I care to dive back into that world so I'm trying to get a sense of just how much of an insider's game screenwriting is. (answer as far as I can tell is that it is a SUPER cloistered world. bleh.)

odocoileus, those are perfect links, thank you so much for taking the time! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

kevacho

Registered
Reaction score
Fizgig, I've been submitting and querying for screenplays for years now. Did lunch in L.A., had a screenplay over at New Line for a few months. I would query agents and managers through the Hollywood Creative Directory, but that's no longer in business. However, recently I got an account with donedealpro.com. It is much less expensive than H.C.D. was, and it has up to date listings of both managers and agents.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Kevin: a.k.a.- kevacho

Scripts & Scribes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Fizgig, Bergerac is right. If you're looking for a rep to start, you're much more likely to get traction from a lit manager than an agent.

I have an interview series (podcast & written) and have a bunch with managers and agents if you would like to know more about them, what they do and what they are looking for.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/agentsmanagers/

A few in particular might be helpful to you. Eddie Gamarra (Gotham Group) and Markus Goerg (Heroes & Villains) both rep screenwriters and specialize in book (and other IP's - comic books, video games, etc.) to film/TV adaptations.

Best of luck to you!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, "sounds like a screenplay" is an insult, and just means you did a poor job writing the novel. But sometimes "sounds like a screenplay" means a different agent might also love it as a novel. Don't take a statement like that to mean you should write a screenplay. Good or bad, it's a comment about how the novel is written, not about a screenplay.