Read requests for scripts and for pages in SYW

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Hi all. Use this thread if you want to request a read for your script either through emails or if you're trying to direct people to your first 10 pages in Share your Work. I'll also move any threads about offering reading services here. I don't want the board to start looking like Craigslist, ya see.

So please don't post new threads asking for reads -- if everybody did that there'd be no room for scriptwriting discussion threads which is what this area of the board is really for. Have combined the most recent request here. Feel free to comment/reply to posts made here if you need more information or have advice about the best way to do something in a technical sense but don't post feedback or crits here.

Password for Share your Work is vista.

And please include links -- it's much easier if members don't have to go looking for the threads.

PM if any questions, problems.

Last edited:

jake.williams88

Registered
Reaction score
script swap???

I was wondering if anyone would like to script swap with me. I have a comedy/drama screenplay I would like to get some honest feedback on.

Thanks

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry it's not in my field of genres or expertise so I couldn't help you beyond the basics. Maybe try posting 10 pages in SYW and see if you can't get anyone that way after they see a sample of it.

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
just want to add, as a precaution, you might want to make sure you protect yourself and your script in some way.

Up to you. You can register it at: http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/

This is just a basic WGA registration it's not a copyright but can be used in a court to show proof of a completion date. (if it should come to that). Not saying it will but you never know.

It's like $20 to register.

Last edited:

lache

Registered
Reaction score
I read scripts and I do it well

[FONT=&quot]I'm Santa Sierra - I've worked as a script supervisor and other smalls things in LA (IMDB me) I'm interested in starting a small script reading service for those who can't afford those ridiculous expensive prices by so called professional script reading companies. I was in LA and what I've learned while being there is that most of those services are not telling you how you can improve your script for the purposes of making it into an actual film. As a script supervisor and a scriptwriter (I have not sold any scripts yet) I can critique your script from a writer with a film-making point of view. I want to read a few scripts free of charge for now until I can gather enough samples to offer by services for a fixed rate. As a scriptwriter I've used "professional" services and I find them to be a big money making machine with little interest in telling you how film-making actually works. After I gather some samples to show people the quality of consulting that I plan to offer - I will be charging a 40 dollars fixed rate. I don't believe critiquing a script should be more than 40 dollars per script. That's my personal opinion.

My review will include an evaluation of the heart of your script: theme, genre, tone, structure, pacing, format, grammar, budget (how can you write a script that will fit a budget) dialogue and character. I can return the script analysis in two weeks and I will not be paid until the review is done. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The first two scripts will be analyzed for free.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

santa
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT]

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
We're pretty laid back here for the most part, there will be an occasional locked thread due to sniping but that's about it. We only have one real rule and that's Respect Your Fellow Writer. Beyond that, it's all about helping each other out.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Santa Sierra - I've worked as a script supervisor and other smalls things in LA (IMDB me) I'm interested in starting a small script reading service for those who can't afford those ridiculous expensive prices by so called professional script reading companies. I was in LA and what I've learned while being there is that most of those services are not telling you how you can improve your script for the purposes of making it into an actual film. As a script supervisor and a scriptwriter (I have not sold any scripts yet) I can critique your script from a writer with a film-making point of view.

Hi Santa,

This board has a lot of writers who are just learning the craft and know little about how the production process works, so could you take the time to let them know how your work as a script supervisor gives you special knowledge of "theme, genre, tone, structure, pacing..."?

I have been hired to write (or rewrite) half a dozen projects and have been involved in development of dozens more as a development exec and have never been in a situation where the script supervisor was involved in developing the story or writing the script or had any input in any way in any aspect in the script. I have minimal production experience, but it is my understanding that a script supervisor is responsible for shooting continuity and keeping track of what's been shot - not story continuity or structure. When rewrites become necessary during production, it's the screenwriter who does the writing. In fact the few script supervisors I have met - one of whom has been doing it for almost thirty years, by her own admission knows nothing about screenwriting at all.

I'm not trying to you give you a hard time - but when you refer to other services as "so-called professional reading services" when many of them are operated by those with professional film development experience and/or produced writing credits, it seems only fair for you to let us know how your profession gives you the expertise to evaluate other writers' screenplays.

Dev

Last edited:

Jake G

Registered
Reaction score
Development Exec just said everything I wanted to know. So yeah, I would also appreciate hearing your answers.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Script supervisors have nothing to do with writing or revising scripts. As DevExec noted, script supervisor (sometimes called Continuity) is an on set, production job. Script supervisor can be a stepping stone to directing or editing but it rarely if ever leads to writing jobs.

Script supervisor experience can help a director when it comes time to break a script down for production and put together a shot list or story board, but it doesn't have much to do with what makes a script marketable.

Also, you may want to go over any advert you post to make sure there are no grammar or spelling errors, even minor ones.

Bill

Registered
Reaction score
Short script: The Crunch

First of all, apologies if there is a different forum for posting actual scripts and I have this in the wrong place (just can't help but notice this seems more of a general discussion forum)!

OK so I posted here a few times a little over two years back, but shortly afterwards fell out of love (more got disillusioned) with writing and film for a bit due to our year being HUGELY messed about with and screwed over by the college. I took a two-year hiatus but just went back this year, determined to see it through. We had to each write a short film for our Advanced Production class, and I was nervous about mine as I was so rusty so I asked around to see what people thought. So far - and to my utter shock! - it has been recieved positively on nearly all angles, and so I actually want to push this a bit further and see if I can get it brought along any further. I've been looking for this place for a few days now (couldn't remember the exact name of the site) but here we are.

It is intended as a Kafka-type satire, to be quite scathing of how Ireland managed it's finances in our economic boom (we have gone from prospering hugely to the worst hit nation by the recession - barring Spain, Iceland & the Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia economic triangle).

I am mainly looking for feedback, but also a way to parse down one bit in particular - the 'three doors down, to the right' exchanges. It feels like they drag a tiny bit and I don't want to revert to montage as there are already three of them so it would be overkill (the two 'city centre/great depression' ones however are intended to only be a matter of seconds long, to lull the pacing back down temporarily). I also don't want to cut it altogether since a) the joke ties in nicely with a part later in the scene and b) it is a reference to Hudsucker Proxy which I both ADORE and got the initial idea for the story for. So any help here would be hugely appreciated.

Here is a little bit more of a foreword if you need it (as most people might not be familiar with the context - scroll down about four paragraphs. The link in that post is to the first draft btw, click below for the -almost- final draft): http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19296600&postcount=1

Here is a link to the PDF file of what is the (almost) final draft: http://drop.io/9ytg6ox3934#
(that is a REALLY handy site for uploading text documents too by the way. Really accessible and you don't have to register to upload onto it).

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
There is a share your work forum just south of here a few sections. Password is vista.
Save your script as text with formatting, then copy it in the text file and paste it between two code things it looks like # on the toolbar. That will keep the formatting intact as well as have it right there on the board for people to see.

A lot of people, including myself, don't click on external links unless they're from a known source such as a news venue due to possibility of viruses and what not.

ETA: Here's a direct link to the Share your work section http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Here's the specific one to scripts. Again Password is vista
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Last edited:

briandt75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lemonshirt.com
Science Fiction Screenplay swap!

I've just finished a zombie screenplay and I'm currently working on a three part sci-fi saga. Anyone want to trade screenplays for some read thrus so we can critique each others work a little? Just looking for some constructive criticism.

Sci-Fi scripts only please! Thanks lovely people!

Regards
Brian T.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
Move this to either Share Your Work or the Beta Readers threads...

Anyway, welcome to AW.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.