So that ceasefire didn't last long.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the US envoy has been informed that it's over.

From Haaretz
A 72-hour humanitarian cease-fire agreed upon by Israel and Hamas collapsed only a few hours after it took effect on Friday morning.

Some two hours after the truce deal brokered by the United States and the EU kicked in, mortar shells fired from within the Strip landed near border-region town, and shortly thearafter Palestinian sources reported that several Gaza residents were killed and wounded by IDF artillery fire directed at the southern Gaza Strip.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'll be over here shaking my head at everything going on over there. They couldn't even last a couple of damn hours! If the UN wags its finger at anyone this time- I'm past careing which one of them said finger is wagged at- I'm going to scream.

Last edited:

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
And it looks like Hamas took a soldier captive during the ceasefire.

Combined with the track records of the other ceasefires and the UN's record on Israel, if not in general, I'm not sure when the next one will happen. If the soldier is retrieved, then it might be when all the tunnels are destroyed. If not, then this war is going to get uglier.

This is not going to end well.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It was never going to end well, from the very start. :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's so awful. The civilians needed that ceasefire, dammit.

I just heard Wolf Blitzer interviewing an Israeli military guy (I forget his name offhand, but the one who was been giving the majority of quotes/interviews, a higher-up). Interestingly, it might not have been Hamas who took the soldier, although the military guy leaned that way. But Hamas isn't taking credit, Wolf noted.

I need to research other militants in the fighting, in case they are playing a big role here. That would indeed be a very big role to capture an Israeli soldier during* a ceasefire.

*During used tentatively because the whole timing/cause of the cease-fire break is difficult to pin down again. The capturing of the soldier may not have been the incident that broke it, so war may have been full on again by then.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ed-in-tunnel-attack-by-militants-9642469.html

It's Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, who is the 'military guy' in the Wolf interview I mentioned above.

It was a tunnel attack. Unfortunately, I can't pick a clear side about those tunnels in this war at the moment regarding ceasefires :( The Israelis have had the ceasefires include the stipulation that they can continue their campaign against the tunnels 'cease-fire or no cease-fire', Netanyahu said. I thought it was clear someone would die at some point in the tunnel 'clearings' during a ceasefire. It looks like now it was Israelis who did, and one captured.

But if one side continues an operation like the tunnel destruction/clearing and another side also continues the tunnel fighting, isn't that what would be expected? I understand that Israel wouldn't agree to stop their part, but I figured it was a given then that the militants wouldn't stop that part either.

I think I put that under the category of 'cease-fire except the tunnels'. I honestly can't blame the other side for continuing that aspect of the war if their enemy continues it during a cease-fire, except for the obvious repercussions it brings, of course :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
And a bit more on that subject, by Amos Yadlin, a former chief of Israel’s military intelligence directorate:

...“I think that what happened here is that the details of the cease-fire were not sufficiently clarified.

”In an interview with Israel Radio, Mr. Yadlin said the Israeli military would not leave Gaza until it completed the destruction of the tunnels, even during a cease-fire. “It is not completely clear to me if this was clear to Hamas,” he said.

Mr. Yadlin, who now directs the Institute for National Security Studies at Tel Aviv University, also said it was possible that the militants who emerged from the tunnel on Friday were cut off and did not know of the cease-fire. “In the absence of any command and control, “he said, “it could be that they emerged to commit a ‘preset’ attack that it had prepared earlier.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/w...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Currently trending on Twitter

The paper hastily withdrew the article, but someone had their finger on the button and managed to save it for grim posterity.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Currently trending on Twitter

The paper hastily withdrew the article, but someone had their finger on the button and managed to save it for grim posterity.

That last line!!! I'm gobsmacked.

How are their "Ops & Blogs" done? If this is like iReporters on CNN, that's important, I think. Was this writer vetted in any way, does anyone know?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
There are already updates on that op-ed:

The editorial was also printed in the Five Towns Jewish Times, a news outlet founded by Gordon’s father.
We’ve reached out to the Times for comment, and will update if and when we hear back.
UPDATE (2:15 PM EST): The Five Towns Jewish Times took down the editorial, replacing it with this note:
An article that was posted earlier today on our website dealt with the question of genocide in a most irresponsible fashion. We reject any such notion or discussion associated with even entertaining the possibility of such an unacceptable idea.
The piece should have been rejected out of hand by editors but escaped their proper attention. We reject such a suggestion unequivocally and apologize for the error.
UPDATE #2 (2:30 PM EST): According to JTA reporter Ron Kampeas, op-ed editor Miriam Herzschlag has banned Gordon from posting on the Times of Israel blog, calling his post “damnable” and “ignorant.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/whoa-times-of-israel-op-ed-advocates-genocide-against-gazans/

So that's good, anyway!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
That is good.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
good for them for pulling this knuckledragger's op-ed and banning him from further print-vomit.

someone please let me know when anyone, anywhere in gaza (or among western enablers) condemns this...

On Friday, Hamas TV broadcast a sermon which repeated the Hamas ideology that according to Islam, it is Muslim destiny to exterminate the Jews.

Hamas cleric: "Our belief about fighting you [Jews] is that we will exterminate you, until the last one, and we will not leave of you even one. For you are the usurpers of the land, foreigners, mercenaries of the present and of all times. Look at history, brothers: Wherever there were Jews, they spread corruption... (Quran): "They spread corruption in the land, and Allah does not like corrupters." Their belief is destructive. Their belief fulfills the prophecy. Our belief is in obtaining our rights on our land, implementing Shari'ah (Islamic law) under Allah's sky."

[Al-Aqsa TV (Hamas), July 25, 2014]

http://www.palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=12218

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Hamas is vile. I said I loathed them and I meant it. Maybe that does need to keep being repeated, especially in the media, but I'm never surprised by their rhetoric. I (perhaps wrongly) assume the media is doing what I'm doing and no longer find it newsworthy to find examples of their hateful talk.

I do think it's very important to show examples of what they've done in war, like video of where they may be firing from, etc. That helps find the truth of the military/war situation, imho. But they are already very much on record about their feelings ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Hamas is vile. I said I loathed them and I meant it. Maybe that does need to keep being repeated, especially in the media, but I'm never surprised by their rhetoric. I (perhaps wrongly) assume the media is doing what I'm doing and no longer find it newsworthy to find examples of their hateful talk.

I do think it's very important to show examples of what they've done in war, like video of where they may be firing from, etc. That helps find the truth of the military/war situation, imho. But they are already very much on record about their feelings ;)

Yes, but the problem is that it's not Hamas that's being bombed out of existence. I really don't see how it ends, but I think the solution was only possible through dialogue for a short time quite a long time ago.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hamas' statement is vile, no doubt about it.

And the US does not give them arms and financial support for that reason.

But peace will never come from the end of a gun. One cannot beat the opposition into submission and then expect a lasting peace. Only when cheeks are turned is peace achieved.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
From the articles I've been reading yesterday and today, it seems to me like there's a sense settling in that 'this one is different' - at 4 weeks, this is running longer than either of the last two offensives, there's a sense of mission creep setting in (first it was about stopping the rockets, then it was getting most of the tunnels, now it's about getting all of the tunnels, etc).

My *guess* is that the more hawkish members of Netanyahu's cabinet are going to get their wish and this is going to end up a larger scale ground invasion. As far as an end to that, god knows. :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I do think the Palestinians need to get rid of Hamas, because Hamas isn't going to work out for them unless Hamas gets great military might. Even then, the US would step in if it ever came to really trying to obliterate Israel. It's a ridiculous end-goal that way.

But I think the Israelis are making the same sort of mistakes the US made for all of those years (and European imperialists like the UK and French made all those centuries, down to drawing many of the 'protectorate' lines that caused most of the current Mid-East problems we are seeing). If you rain terrible grief and death upon the civilians in the areas you are fighting, they will hate you and go to great lengths to see that you pay.

I hope that's not too controversial to say. I mean it in a more nuanced way, not in a purely Black Hat/White Hat way. But it remains true as an overall truth, I think.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do think the Palestinians need to get rid of Hamas, because Hamas isn't going to work out for them unless Hamas gets great military might. Even then, the US would step in if it ever came to really trying to obliterate Israel. It's a ridiculous end-goal that way.

But I think the Israelis are making the same sort of mistakes the US made for all of those years (and European imperialists like the UK and French made all those centuries, down to drawing many of the 'protectorate' lines that caused most of the current Mid-East problems we are seeing). If you rain terrible grief and death upon the civilians in the areas you are fighting, they will hate you and go to great lengths to see that you pay.

I hope that's not too controversial to say.
I mean it in a more nuanced way, not in a purely Black Hat/White Hat way. But it remains true as an overall truth, I think.
I don't think that's too controversial - we're seeing it play out both ways, after all. Whether it's rockets to Israel or bombs to Gaza, it clearly isn't working well as a step on the road to a peaceful existence.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's too controversial - we're seeing it play out both ways, after all. Whether it's rockets to Israel or bombs to Gaza, it clearly isn't working well as a step on the road to a peaceful existence.

Thank you:) and it does go both ways, I agree.

In case anyone wants to read up on the imperialism history that I summarized too briefly and poorly in my last post, this is great reading, and free!

http://books.google.com/books?id=Me...orate" "French protectorate" mid-east&f=false

It gets long, but it's worth a read for lots of folks out there, imho. Or use a similar source, of course.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score

The Palestinians need to get rid of Hamas and find a Gandhi.