Drive-thru funeral visitation

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish this was an Onion article. Sadly, it's from my local news.

Last respects lane: Saginaw funeral home offers drive-thru viewing.

On the one hand, I want to be sympathetic to those who have trouble getting in and out of cars, or who can't weather Michigan's weather. On the other, the idea of dead bodies propped in the window is every kind of ick.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know. Now that I think about it, as a prospective dead person, I think I might prefer the onlookers to cruise by, take a quick peek, then motor on to the party part. The thought of it is slightly less horrifying that the thought of me in a box in an over air-conditioned room where people keep hovering and staring for hours.

Urg.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. I think that is very tacky.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Locking this one for the nonce.

ETA: Offending posts (and collateral damage) have been deleted. Reopening, and giving a warning to not go down this path again.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't like wakes -- seeing my loved one posed in a coffin with makeup on is the opposite of comforting to me, But my family is Catholic, and the older folks in particular seem to find seeing the body one last time comforting, so I've attended quite a few. The one thing I do like about them is the opportunity for the bereaved to comfort one another, and to receive comfort from family and friends.

I can't quite see how anyone could either give or receive comfort by driving past a body in a window! What do they do, beep? Put flowers in a drive-through slot? I'm thinking the time would be better spent writing a lovely condolence letter.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
:roll:

OK, I only just now read the whole article. This is priceless:

The viewing area can not be seen from the inside of the funeral home and the window is covered by curtains until a vehicle drives up. The curtains then open to reveal the deceased in their casket as music plays overhead.

A guestbook appears from a retractable door allowing people to record their visit and there is a slot where they can leave memorial contributions.

People in the vehicle have 3 minutes to pay their respects before the curtain closes.

I KNEW there'd be a drive-through slot! I KNEW it!

I like the 3 minute limit, too.

But I must say, they could easily eliminate the car altogether. Why not have a live feed of the body on the funeral home's website? You could do memorial contributions by credit card. That way, you could...er..."pay your last respects" while in your underwear, from the comfort of your own home.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure that, after I die, I'd want to be turned into something that could be mistaken for part of a Haunted-Mansion-type amusement park ride.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Lou Grant (the Mary Tyler Moore Show) said:
I don't want anybody to make any fuss. When I go, I just want to be stood outside in the garbage with my hat on.

I'm with Lou.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm not sure that, after I die, I'd want to be turned into something that could be mistaken for part of a Haunted-Mansion-type amusement park ride.

Good god, you don't even know. I so want to be a biology lab skeleton. I want someone to stick a cigarette between my teeth and I want to be nabbed into the dean's office at Halloween.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
my only objection is that, if they're busy, they make you pull up and park until an attendant can run the corpse out to you.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
my only objection is that, if they're busy, they make you pull up and park until an attendant can run the corpse out to you.

But think how much more efficient it is. With an attendant on roller skates, and the corpse on a gurney with a boom box, the funeral home can cater to an entire line of cars in the same three minutes it generally takes for a single car to view the corpse.

The only problem is sometimes people miss when tossing their memorial contributions into the coffin. Still, I believe it is the wave of the future.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
But think how much more efficient it is. With an attendant on roller skates, and the corpse on a gurney with a boom box, the funeral home can cater to an entire line of cars in the same three minutes it generally takes for a single car to view the corpse.

The only problem is sometimes people miss when tossing their memorial contributions into the coffin. Still, I believe it is the wave of the future.
You can do better than that. How about they set it up like the old drive-in theaters? Everybody pulls in to their own parking spot, then heads out to the snack counter for popcorn, sodas and hot dogs. They go back to their car, hang the speaker on the window, watch the projection of the corpse on the big screen, listen to three minutes of Amazing Grace, and still make it home in time for The Bachelorette.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i say they hang the corpses in bunches like those soapy, noodle-y things in drive-through car washes and they all just slap against your windshield as you go through.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You can do better than that. How about they set it up like the old drive-in theaters? Everybody pulls in to their own parking spot, then heads out to the snack counter for popcorn, sodas and hot dogs. They go back to their car, hang the speaker on the window, watch the projection of the corpse on the big screen, listen to three minutes of Amazing Grace, and still make it home in time for The Bachelorette.
I would rather look at a corpse for an hour than watch The Bachelorette.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

Or they could make it a double feature. Three minutes of the corpse, and then Night of the Living Dead for those inclined to stick around.

They'll sell more hot dogs that way.

peddle your visionary industry bullshit elsewhere, iococca...

you're not going to get anywhere in the modern funeral biz with an attitude like that.

ETA:

i say they hang the corpses in bunches like those soapy, noodle-y things in drive-through car washes and they all just slap against your windshield as you go through.

never mind. I take it back.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score

No, you're right, and I take it back. Your corpse-wash idea is just the innovation this industry needs.

And the 10th wash is free!!!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I curious as to how they do the hot wax.

Well, H, that there is a trade secret. But between us, it has something to do with the innovations we've made to the crematorium.

Soylent Green Funeral Home and Car Wash is people, Haggis. Never lose sight of that.