Harper sneaks through Canada-China FIPA

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/cou...through-canada-china-fipa-locks-canada-31-yea

The Tories, backed by a naïve Canadian Chamber of Commerce and a handful of big, conflicted business interests, have demonstrated the worst negotiating skills since Neville Chamberlain.

Ottawa capitulated to China on everything. The deal, using a hockey metaphor, allows only a select few to play on Team Canada on a small patch of ice in China and to be fouled, without remedies or referees. By contrast, Team China can play anywhere on Canadian ice, can appeal referee calls it dislikes and negotiate compensation for damages while in the penalty box behind closed doors.

The terms agreed to by Ottawa are unprecedented and would be laughed out of Britain, Brussels, Canberra or Washington. Beijing has negotiated a heads-I-win-tails-Canada-loses deal.

A Canadian friend of mine is very concerned about this. Thoughts?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what this deal is, other than it grants financial protections on investments and an assymetric ability given to China to invest in our natural resources. This sounds all too much like Grande Noirceur crap (federally), where instead of Quebec it will now be Alberta and BC. It also sounds like it is designed to nullify certain native treaty rights, something the Federal government has been losing to in the courts.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Bloggers.

Nuff said.

caw

This source is far better than that - a friend of mine's written for them on several issues and they're basically the main source of alternative media in Canada at this point (mainstream media here is a joke - look up 'scandal' + either Mike Duffy or Pamela Wallen - and the amount of concentration in regards to ownership is horrifying and the CBC is mostly nepotism. 'Journalism' in general in Canada is fairly shoddy.)

If Harper's government has pushed it through then it's most likely a bad thing and right now up here (down for you :D ) things really are that simple at a political level. I can't think of much of anything he's done right recently.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a better source: http://www.canadians.org/fipa

The Hupacasath First Nation in BC has filed a legal injunction to stop an extreme 31-year corporate rights deal between Canada and China that holds massive environmental, human rights and sovereignty implications.

http://www.canadians.org/fipa-info

If the FIPA with China is ratified, Chinese corporations will be able to challenge local, provincial and federal policies or laws that interfere with their “right” to make a profit from, for example, proposed tarsands or fracking projects, pipelines, or mines. Canadian firms will have the same “right” in China, which will impact human rights and environmental protections there. We believe the FIPA fundamentally undermines democracy. It will give Chinese firms in Canada and Canadian firms in China 31 years of “protection” – from environmental, human rights or resource conservation measures they don’t like while companies and private investors gain the right to sue Canada or China in controversial and unaccountable private tribunals outside the court system.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Harper is the devil. He is not merely evil. He is not just a bad guy. He is the fucking devil himself.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This source is far better than that - a friend of mine's written for them on several issues and they're basically the main source of alternative media in Canada at this point (mainstream media here is a joke - look up 'scandal' + either Mike Duffy or Pamela Wallen - and the amount of concentration in regards to ownership is horrifying and the CBC is mostly nepotism. 'Journalism' in general in Canada is fairly shoddy.)

Yep. I see rabble as a fairly trusted source.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Harper is the devil. He is not merely evil. He is not just a bad guy. He is the fucking devil himself.

I have Australian friends who say the same thing about Tony Abbott. Now I don't know who to believe.

Iron Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I have never agreed so heartily with a statement about Canadian politics as I do this one.

Oh come now, Jean Chretian would have probably signed a deal like this - the federal Liberals before the campaign finance reform laws passed in 2004/05 were the most owned by the Big Corporations in the country.