I never considered going into photography before.

everybody

We are in this together.
Registered
Reaction score
In an ideal world, I'd write. But I'd like to be homeful, in which case, I would need to make extra money.

I know next to nothing about photography. I can just tell if I like it, if I feel a strong emotional response.

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, 'is this "good" enough to invest to sell somehow?'

Here's my Instagram, for example.

Edit: not all are artistic shots. Some are people, "selfies," and randomness.

Last edited:

everybody

We are in this together.
Registered
Reaction score
Or, my ego is too inflated. I really don't know.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Good enough to invest into what for what purpose?

Are you trying to sell photography as fine art and asking if you should spend $30K in camera equipment?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't really know, but probably not.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think if you like it, if you feel a strong emotional response to it, then I think yes you should pursue it. I would say, and I hope this isn't harsh, but I agree with stephen that as it stands your photographs aren't at a professional level yet. But they are nice, you clearly have an eye for composition and it's a really good place to start. Maybe look into some classes or find some websites on the subject and start reading. Start practicing. Also maybe find some photographers you admire and message them for advice (don't be too annoying about it, don't send them your work, just ask if they can send you to any websites they could recommend, or if there are any books or films or anything that they found really helpful)? And also start researching equipment.

Good luck!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
To be blunt, no, not at a professional level.

If you enjoy photography, absolutely keep doing it. It's a fun hobby. If you want to get better, joint a photography forum or two and learn how to give and receive critiques on photos. It's just like any other skill - it takes time and effort to improve. It doesn't just get spectacular on its own. http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/forum.php is one such forum. Also, they have a huge number of tutorials and articles on photography at http://digital-photography-school.com/. I'd suggest starting there.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
photography can be one of the best ways to be artistic. it shows people how YOU see the subjects of the picture. you get to travel, if you do it for a living, and see so many cool things.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with L M Ashton on this one. My grandfather was semi-pro (as in, he's sold pictures before and did some events, but mostly kept it as a high-end hobby while he worked another job), and I've seen the work he puts in even at that level. You need just as much practice to get sellable, great photos as you do with writing. Well, practice and luck to find/catch that perfect moment, but when don't you need a dash of luck?

I do photography on the side, know my way around both film and digital SLRs, some small knowledge of the different lenses and use for each, and I still probably couldn't make a decent income on what I produce, even if I think some of it's pretty great.

But! It's a very fun and rewarding hobby, and if you put enough work into it you can turn it into a job later.

docphotog

Registered
Reaction score
In an ideal world, I'd write. But I'd like to be homeful, in which case, I would need to make extra money.

I know next to nothing about photography. I can just tell if I like it, if I feel a strong emotional response.

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, 'is this "good" enough to invest to sell somehow?'

Here's my Instagram, for example.

Edit: not all are artistic shots. Some are people, "selfies," and randomness.

Wiki commons has 24 million pix for free.The world is polluted with pix. Unless your very good or lucky find another way to make $.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm a semi-pro. I sell my photos at art shows, but work full time as an accountant. It's not an easy schtick, and the best way to get better is to take more photos, take some classes, etc. It's not about the equipment, though that does help getting difficult shots. One of my best-selling shots was taken with a little Elph point-and-shoot in 2000.

Here's a bit on setting up to do art shows, an article I wrote to help out. If it does, fantastic :)

http://www.greendragonartist.com/Articles/articlesArtShow.htm

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I make some side money as a stock photographer but my skill level was ultimately not good enough to make it viable. Mainly due to not being able to dive into the true technicalities of digital photography. If you are curious as to what my ultimately not career-viable work looks like: here it is.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I make some side money as a stock photographer but my skill level was ultimately not good enough to make it viable. Mainly due to not being able to dive into the true technicalities of digital photography. If you are curious as to what my ultimately not career-viable work looks like: here it is.

Wow. Some of those are gorgeous.

OP, photography, art, writing. They all have a huge learning curve. And they're all soul-crushingly competitive. Only a handful of the best make it. And those best make it because they pursue their craft with all their heart, often sacrificing so much in the process.

Last edited:

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
With billions of (mostly bad) photographs in the air (on the Internet) making money at photography is mighty tough. Zillions of people today haven't a clue as to what a quality photo is so if you produce same they will just wander on by. If you can make a quick buck with photography please tell the rest of us all about. We'd like to do so, too.