What we're reading, the MTS edition

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
I like Alex Delaware and his obnoxious french bull dog, I like Miles, I like the fact that they are friends. Would a homocide detective need a profiler as much as Miles always seems too? Probably not- but I don't care i am entertained and that's all that matters.

Do you mean Milo?

Delaware isn't a profiler, he's a child psychologist.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I officially give up on The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. Somewhere around page 40, in the midst of the nth argument about whether or not Dante's Inferno should be published, I nearly fell asleep, which sucked 'cause I was on the stationary bike. Has anyone else read this?

Yes, my dear, and I loved it. But then I have better taste, that is, I am more appreciative of fine literature than you. Ergo I shall explain: the metaphysical struggle over the language and publication of their work is a psychotropomatiular metphor for the length of their penii. By substituting words, swapping definitions with each other, they were symbolically measuring their willies against those of their brethren. And the issue if "pubilcation" revealed them all to be shameless exhibitionists.

Simple, really, when you're as smart as I am.

:)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha:

You said penii. And willies. Consider this your flogging, for those and other infractions. :whip:

Oh, that was fun. I'm going to do it again. :whip::whip:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Call for the Dead by John le Carre, which is more of a mystery story than a spy story, and the first book featuring George Smiley. I could never "get into" le Carre's books all that much (I found them a bit tedious), but so far I'm enjoying this one.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Untraceable by Laura Griffin. It was okay--held my interest. The "sweet love story" seemed more fueled by lust than love, but whatever. Who doesn't like a little lust? :)

I didn't like the way she handled the passage of time, interestingly. One para was today, the next two days later, no real segue.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Chinaman by Stephen Leather. Leather breaks tons of rules, including some of my own pet peeves, but dang. I keep going back. He has a way with a story, that man. A violent and severe way, to be sure, but very compelling.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Reading student papers... ready to gouge out eyeballs.

Does that count?

Got a handful of new books for Christmas, though, so the pickings are going to be good, assuming I still have eyeballs to read with.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read Westlake. What's everyone's favorite? The Ax, right? (Yes, that was a joke.)

Sorry about your poor eyes, Clair. What's the topic?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean Milo?

Delaware isn't a profiler, he's a child psychologist.
Oops- yes I meant Milo and Milo calls Alex a profiler (At least he does in this book)and I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like trying to spell psychologist- so there:wag: (If I did you would have corrected my spelling- trust me!)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of Karen Rose books I'm reading. More of the Verb for Me books she writes.

Melville

Registered
Reaction score
Oops- yes I meant Milo and Milo calls Alex a profiler (At least he does in this book)and I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like trying to spell psychologist- so there:wag: (If I did you would have corrected my spelling- trust me!)

:D Yeah, psychologist is one of the words I have to type very slowly or it comes out missing a letter or two.

In the last 3-4 books in the series Milo has occasionally called Alex a "profiler" when he doesn't want to come up with an explanation as to why he's tagging along on Homicide investigations.

The better books start with a case that Delaware is looking into, something with a former child patient usually, that ropes in Milo.

Kellerman tried branching out with some B characters in the Delaware series into a book called TRUE DETECTIVES which, in my opinion, failed miserably.

Kellerman is an interesting author, sort of a Babe Ruth kinda writer -- lots of home runs but lots of strike outs too.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Crais' The Monkey's Raincoat. I didn't like Crais as much as some of you do. A bit too cute for me.

Melville

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Crais' The Monkey's Raincoat. I didn't like Crais as much as some of you do. A bit too cute for me.

Don't give up on him... his early books are all a bit "too cute", especially all that "World's Greatest Detective" baloney... he gets MUCH better later on. It's as if in the beginning he is trying to emulate Robert B. Parker and later hits his stride as a writer more in the vein of Connelly and Sandford.

Before you make up your mind, at least read THE WATCHMAN, and you'll see how he's evolved.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Mort by Terry Pratchett at the moment. I know, I know. I do read M/T/S though, I swear. ;) I'm just lucky enough to have eclectic friends who share books. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up on him... his early books are all a bit "too cute", especially all that "World's Greatest Detective" baloney... he gets MUCH better later on. It's as if in the beginning he is trying to emulate Robert B. Parker and later hits his stride as a writer more in the vein of Connelly and Sandford.

Before you make up your mind, at least read THE WATCHMAN, and you'll see how he's evolved.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for with this thread. Thanks, Melville! :) I'll try the Watchman.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I'm just finishing up Under the Dome, and also reading a book of shorts by James Lee Burke.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I wanna read Under the Dome! I've got such a huge list of books though, and not a whole lot of money at the moment, so sadly it's gonna have to wait.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Kill for Me by Karen Rose.

I already posted it in the general WayR thread.

This is my second or third book by her I've read. I rather like them. I've got one more by her in my reading stack. My husband took me to the bookstore last week and I bought several books.

When I was younger, I used to read a book a day. Now that my memory is screwed up, I have to read slower and find myself going back to refresh plot points in my mind.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Fallen by our very own sheadakota.

Seriously, this is the first can't-put-it-down book I've read in a long time. Awesome, shea! Can't wait for the next one!

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Far be it for me to disagree with someone else in this thread, but I say stop right now with Crais, fast forward to his book L.A. Requim and then continue reading. SOOOO much better, and jude, since we be friends, I know you'll like it. And you'll fall in love with Joe Pike, guarantee it.