Agent isn't asking for major revisions

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Hey everyone,

I received an offer of rep recently from an agent and had the pleasure of speaking with her over the phone recently. Really clicked with her personally, and I loved how deeply she read my manuscript and how enthusiastic she is about it.

But I'm just a little nervous that she isn't asking for many revisions. Maybe this is crazy, but a couple of the other agents who've read my full loved it but said it needed more work before they'd take it on (without being specific!), so I'm a bit paranoid.

Any advice on this? How perfect does a manuscript need to be before it goes out to editors/publishers?

Thanks in advance!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Some agents edit, and some don't is perhaps the answer. Mine does not for example (we did change the protag's surname for the books in my sig. That was it)

It may be this agent's personal style, or they think they can sell it as is, or they'll get to edits later or....

If it worries you I would suggest a further email convo before you sign perhaps?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Yeah, I think this could go either way. Could mean the agent sees something the others didn't. Or that she doesn't see something the others did.

Do YOU feel the manuscript needs more work but you can't quite figure out what, or do you think it's ready to go?

Also, have you talked to any of the agent's clients? I would ask for a couple of references and ask them about the revision process, the agent's editorial insights, and whether they've been on the mark.

The other thing to keep in mind about the declining agents is that so much of manuscript love is a matter of personal taste. Plenty of manuscripts have been sold without serious revisions after being rejected many dozens of times.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I received an offer of rep recently from an agent and had the pleasure of speaking with her over the phone recently. Really clicked with her personally, and I loved how deeply she read my manuscript and how enthusiastic she is about it.

But I'm just a little nervous that she isn't asking for many revisions. Maybe this is crazy, but a couple of the other agents who've read my full loved it but said it needed more work before they'd take it on (without being specific!), so I'm a bit paranoid.

Any advice on this? How perfect does a manuscript need to be before it goes out to editors/publishers?

Thanks in advance!

Be happy. Agents don't know any more about revisions and editing than you do. It's the editor you have to please, and if an editor says you don't need major revisions, believe her.

A book has to be good before an agent will take it on, but it doesn't have to be anywhere neat perfect. If it did, few books would ever sell, and a copy edited manuscript wouldn't look like a complete mess.

I've never allowed an agent to even offer suggestions about a revision, or about editing. Revisions and editing are my job, and they need to be done the way the editor wants them done, not the way the agent does.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I hope none of them do. Editing is not an agent's job, and they aren't trained to do it.

Depends on the agent -- some are ex-editors for example and I'd at least listen.

But the editor at the house you publish at would probably have a better idea of any changes they want. ;)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope none of them do. Editing is not an agent's job, and they aren't trained to do it.

Agents do edit and ask for revisions, and around when I started looking into publishing it was becoming more common. Many of them have degrees in English, have a lot of experience in the field (ideally, they must), and were editors in the past. I'm willing to bet that most of them are trained to do most forms of editing.

ElizaL, I recommend asking your agent directly. Sometimes MSs are perfect (to that agent), and sometimes they want to leave that to the editor. If you have doubts in your agent, bring it up to them. This is a partnership and communication in a partnership is crucial.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the agent. Some are more hands on with editing, some not. If this an agent that feels she could sell it now, then she won't ask for much editing.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie, regardless of the amount of times you say it isn't an agent's job to edit, in the real world, it increasingly IS part of their job. Of course different agents have different styles, but your saying they shouldn't edit directly contradicts what goes on in the industry.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Jamesaritchie, regardless of the amount of times you say it isn't an agent's job to edit, in the real world, it increasingly IS part of their job. Of course different agents have different styles, but your saying they shouldn't edit directly contradicts what goes on in the industry.

Agreed. The authors I know IRL all have agents who provide some level of editorial input, be it major or minor, prior to submitting to editors. It should be up to the author in the end, of course, to process the feedback and revise to their own taste. But agents these days often serve as expert readers who give valuable feedback for their writer, who can be too close to the material to see it as clearly. They also know what sells (or doesn't) much better than writers do.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
James has been saying this same thing FOR YEARS. He doesn't want his agent to edit his work which he therefore concludes to mean that agents should never ever edit any author's work ever and further are terrible at it if they do. Considering it is so common now for agents to offer editorial help and that so many agents were formerly editors at publishing houses etc it's a bizarre logical fallacy that he loves to trumpet whenever he can.

OP: The important question is what do you want? Do you want little editorial feedback from your agent which is (despite how I hate the absolutist and offensive way James puts it) a totally reasonable thing to want? Or do you want an agent who edits? And more important than all of this, do you think your book needs some serious edits yourself?

Last edited:

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I think it needs to be more about how you and the agent click and what their vision is for your book. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but if you think this agent "gets" your vision, then I say, you're a very luck writer! I've had agents that did minor revisions and agents that dug a bit deeper. If this agent is reputable, I don't see the problem.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I'm in this EXACT situation as well. I just signed with an agent who said she didn't have any big revisions in mind. I trust her instincts--I'm sure she knows what sells better than I do. But she also said to expect editors to have revisions for me once she begins submissions. I'd just be happy that she loves it as is, and wait for the changes editors suggest. Just b/c an agent doesn't have specifics in mind doesn't mean it will be published 'as is.'

Congrats, and good luck!

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
My agent is very much an editorial agent, and was in fact an editor for a big 5 publisher. My editor loves her (professionally speaking, of course!) and she has given me invaluable feedback. That being said, if the agent in question is reputable and his/her other clients like him/her, I would take the offer. It's tough to find a good agent, let alone one that loves your work.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

I have an agent who gives me editorial feedback before we send books out on submission. He was a Big Five editor before he started his agency.

That being said, OP, not wanting revisions isn't necessarily a bad sign. When I was querying I got directly conflicting feedback in rejections. (One agent loved the fact that my MC wasn't afraid of a fight, another thought she was too belligerent and crass.) Just because other agents have said "This would need more work" doesn't mean it does. If you think it could use more polishing though, I would ask about that.

There are some agents who don't ask for revisions and if that's something you feel you want (when necessary) you have to find an agent who is both capable and willing to provide that feedback.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I really appreciate it.

Personally, I like my book the way it is. I would, of course, be open to ideas for revisions if my future agent had any. The offering agent had a few notes, but all of them were pretty minor. I think I'm just thrown off by other agents saying the manuscript needs more work, but it's good to hear that such things can be subjective.

I know manuscripts obviously should be as perfect as possible before going off to editors, but in your experiences, would an editor take on something that they like/shows promise and work with you on it? I guess that's what the title 'editor' implies, but please humor me on this...

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I know manuscripts obviously should be as perfect as possible before going off to editors, but in your experiences, would an editor take on something that they like/shows promise and work with you on it? I guess that's what the title 'editor' implies, but please humor me on this...

You mean, do editors actually edit the books they buy? As someone who just read editorial notes for the first time today, I can tell you yes, they sure do. And they apply a lot of time and skill to it. I've heard plenty of stories of editors doing R&R processes with writers, as well, when they weren't ready to offer on the book as is.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

It's really important that you and your agent share the same vision for your book, so this is very promising. Although most writers are enamoured of any agent who offers them representation, so do make sure this is a real personality match, and not just enthusiasm speaking!

Have the agents who have suggested revisions told you what those revisions would be? If so, what do you think about their suggestions? If you think they will make the book substantially stronger then they are worth considering: if you're not keen on their ideas, then they're probably not the agents for you.

The reality is that some agents edit and some don't. An increasing number of agents help their author-clients improve their works before they go out on submission, and most of them give really useful advice here: they're on the front line, they know what sells and what doesn't, and they can help you move your book from not-quite-publishable to everyone-wants-it.

The more perfect it is, the better. Editors are increasingly strapped for time, and the less work they have to do on a book the more they're going to like it! But it has to be good to start off with: they won't take a perfectly-edited book which is weak.

I think you have to decide what you think about the agents who have suggested changes. Do you agree with them that the problems they've pointed out actually exist? Do you agree with their suggestions for correcting those problems? If so, they might be good agents for you. If not, and you're happy with working with an agent who doesn't help her authors revise prior to submission, then you're good to go.

Thanks in advance!

You're very welcome. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

James, this is nonsense.

It might have been true thirty years ago but it's certainly not true now. More and more editors are moving over to agenting, and more and more editors are struggling to find time to edit the books they are responsible for. Editing is therefore sliding over towards the agent, which isn't necessarily good but it's how it works now, I'm afraid.

The input of a good agent can make a huge difference to a book's success. Let's not hamper anyone's chances by advising them against accepting the help they're offered.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said, some agents edit, some don't. If you feel confident enough about your book, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I second the suggestion to talk to that agent's clients to see what they have to say about her editorial stance.

As for James, I'm curious: Are you speaking based on recent experience or is this based on your experience 30 years ago...?

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna add to the voices saying not to worry too much about it. It will be getting revisions before it hits the shelves, whether they're from the agent or not. The important thing for the agent to do is get a sale, and if they can do that without revisions, everything is as it should be.

But yes, I'm another one with an agent who has been an editor for most of her career, and did three revisions for her. I'm much happier with the book now. But certainly I don't think every book needs the same treatment.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My agent doesn't edit at all. I'm not even completely positive she's read any of my books past the first one she bought. She considers editing to be the job of the editor, and since each editor is different, she'd rather sell to an editor who sees what she sees in the book. But I know several agents in the same agency who do edit. It's whatever works for you and her.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
This is really difficult because, yes, it could be that the agent is overenthusiastic or not selective enough ... or it could mean that the work really is that good ... or it could simply be a subjective difference of opinion.

Situations I've encountered:

1. New writer has multiple agent offers. She signs with a big-time agent who wants significant revisions. Agent strings her along for several months, then completely disappears, no longer even answering her emails. Writer breaks up, returns to other offering agent, is deeply, deliriously happy.

2. Established writer sends new work to her big-time agent. Agent says it's not strong enough for the current market; write something else. Rinse and repeat. Writer eventually breaks up with agent, signs with someone else, sell work that wasn't "strong enough" for six figures.

And so on and so forth.

It really is hard. Go with your gut ... but about the book and the edits. Not about your own quality as a writer. We have a tendency to undervalue ourselves and assume we're not good enough. Scrap that nagging insecurity. Focus on the work. Does what the agents are saying resonate with you or not?

Good luck!

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I really appreciate it.

Personally, I like my book the way it is. I would, of course, be open to ideas for revisions if my future agent had any. The offering agent had a few notes, but all of them were pretty minor. I think I'm just thrown off by other agents saying the manuscript needs more work, but it's good to hear that such things can be subjective.

My agent asked for very minimal changes before we sent out my manuscript. Now I'm about to start my third round of structural edits with my publisher. So yes, definitely possible!

If you like this agent and her ideas, and she has a good track record, do it.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is really difficult because, yes, it could be that the agent is overenthusiastic or not selective enough ... or it could mean that the work really is that good ... or it could simply be a subjective difference of opinion.

Situations I've encountered:

1. New writer has multiple agent offers. She signs with a big-time agent who wants significant revisions. Agent strings her along for several months, then completely disappears, no longer even answering her emails. Writer breaks up, returns to other offering agent, is deeply, deliriously happy.

2. Established writer sends new work to her big-time agent. Agent says it's not strong enough for the current market; write something else. Rinse and repeat. Writer eventually breaks up with agent, signs with someone else, sell work that wasn't "strong enough" for six figures.

And so on and so forth.

It really is hard. Go with your gut ... but about the book and the edits. Not about your own quality as a writer. We have a tendency to undervalue ourselves and assume we're not good enough. Scrap that nagging insecurity. Focus on the work. Does what the agents are saying resonate with you or not?

Good luck!

Thanks, Corinne -- this is really helpful, because I definitely am experiencing a ton of self-doubt. I completely agree with the revision suggestions the agent who's offering has suggested, minor as they are, but if I end up signing with her, I'll definitely ask if she has any other thoughts on what can be improved.

Most of the other agents who've commented on the manuscript have only made vague suggestions, and two had advice that was completely contrary to each other, so I've been left a little confused.