Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
With my first release I saw how important the first 30 days are on Amazon, with the boost you get on the Hot New Releases sections. I had released both my ebook and paperback together, but it makes me wonder--if you release only an ebook version and get a 30 day period for that, what happens if you later release a paperback version? Does the paperback version also give you a 30 day Hot New Release window or not? Has anyone tried this?

TomMcClaren

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done either yet, but as I'm looking into self-publishing on Amazon with the same intentions I'm also curious on the topic. Great question!

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't know, but logically it makes more sense to just publish both editions at the same time. That way anyone who prefers a certain format can get it right when the book comes out. If the book isn't available in the format they like, they might forget about it or skip over it when the other edition is published.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I published my print book months later. I didn't check specifically, but to my knowledge it did not get re-listed as a new release. (At any rate, my sales upon release of my print book did not jump to match the same curve as my first month. However, I'm given to understand that my books don't follow the usual curve anyway, since so far I don't really get 30- or 60-day bonanzas followed by a nosedive -- I tend to have steady sales that drop slowly and evenly as time passes post-release.)

Also, Amazon gives my paperback the same publication date as my ebook, so I doubt it considered it new.

As for why I wait: I'm not willing to release a paperback without professional interior design, which is an additional cost.

Last edited:

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I published my print book months later. I didn't check specifically, but to my knowledge it did not get re-listed as a new release. (At any rate, my sales upon release of my print book did not jump to match the same curve as my first month. However, I'm given to understand that my books don't follow the usual curve anyway, since so far I don't really get 30- or 60-day bonanzas followed by a nosedive -- I tend to have steady sales that drop slowly and evenly as time passes post-release.)

Also, Amazon gives my paperback the same publication date as my ebook, so I doubt it considered it new.

As for why I wait: I'm not willing to release a paperback without professional interior design, which is an additional cost.

Thank you for the answer. It sounds like it's best for me to just publish together, since there won't be two separate bumps.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the insight regarding the shared release date of the ebook and paperback versions of your novels, slhuang. I’m considering putting one of my ebooks into print, and I thought I might get the same “newness” bump I got when the Kindle version came out over a year ago. Looks like that won’t be the case.

Great question, knight_tour.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
However, I'm given to understand that my books don't follow the usual curve anyway, since so far I don't really get 30- or 60-day bonanzas followed by a nosedive -- I tend to have steady sales that drop slowly and evenly as time passes post-release.)

Same here. There's a spike on release day for the people who've been waiting on it, and then it drops into a long taper-off.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I would say my sales have been pretty steady though not spectacular, mostly because I think people just don't know about my book. The first thirty days helped because it only took a few sales each day for the book to remain high up on the Hot New Releases list. I still get about the same number of sales now, but there is no list for me to be visible on.

Status
Not open for further replies.